Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Math Homework Packets

>

TeacherDude24

Math Homework Packets
Old 08-07-2010, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am playing around with the idea of having students turn in their homework on Fridays instead of daily. I teach 7th grade math. Basically, I usually assign the problems for homework that have the answers in the back of the book so that they can check their answers. The next day students will ask questions if they needed help based on the answers in the beginning of class. They will then turn in homework on Fridays. Do you think this will work in a middle school class?

TeacherDude24 is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

depends
Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

on how organized your kids are. MY students aren't nearly that organized, but they also have significant special needs, and organization tends to be a goal I think if you were to set up the expectation of weekly HW collection, they will be able to get there.

Maybe start with collecting it every other day (with the expectation that you're going to have 2 days of assignments when you DO collect it), then build to 3 days, then 4, then 5 when they get the hang of it?
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

dbmwhaley

Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I give my 7th graders homework on Monday and it is due on Thursday. This gives the students plenty of time to complete and ask questions. This also allows my higher students to go ahead and complete their work early so we can work on their projects. This is just something that helps me with my GT students but also gives my lower students plenty of time to complete their work too.

I like for my students to turn in their work on Thursdays rather than Friday because those who don't complete their work attend lunch intervention so they can complete it.
dbmwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Jewelsey

A combination
Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This year I'm planning on doing a combination of assignments for my 6th graders. In previous years, the problems that I assigned for daily homework have been those without answers in the back of the book. (This allows the students/parents to complete the others as review for tests and quizzes.) During the next class period, I would walk around the room and check that each student had at least attempted every problem. I would assign a grade based on completion rather than accuracy. To review the homework, I would have the answers posted on the board from the beginning of the day and I would address any questions the students had. But I never liked the idea that I didn't really know how they were actually doing with the material. So this year, I will continue with this type of homework assignment but in addition I'm going to give the students an assignment that is due weekly. I will pass it out on Friday and it will be due the following Thursday. This way they at least have a weekend to complete it for those students that have very busy weekdays. I too, chose for it to be due on Thursday, since there are always students who need extra time during lunch... then we will review the answers on Friday in class. This second assignment is going to cover some current material and also some review matieral. When I start this 2nd assignment, I think I'm going to have to check in with them every other day and then every 3rd day until they get the hang of things. So, I guess what I'm planning is sort of similar to your idea except that I have the extra assignment in there. I'm not sure if my students would be able to handle complete independence for a week without any checkins.
Jewelsey is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherDude24

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think I like the idea of collecting it two days a week. I just don't like dealing with all of the paperwork everyday. Maybe Wednesdays and Fridays will work. Fridays are going to be assessment days.

TeacherDude24 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbee1219

I <3 homework packets
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did packets last year with 7th grade Math. I would check it for completeness everyday then collect it on Friday to check for correctness. It help parents recognize the students math homework. Kids always had a chance to ask for help. They could get a packet if they lost theirs as long as i had copies left, but they would lose 10 points. To help with the grading you can pick 10 problems throughout the packet and grade just them. I really liked this idea and would definitely do it again if I go back to teaching Math.
kbee1219 is offline   Reply With Quote