Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Why are crazy people attracted to snow?

>

Hifiman

Why are crazy people attracted to snow?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 AM

I walked by the family room and my wife was watching the news that was showing the winter storms in the east. Snow plows, cars covered with snow, people bundled up, etc. No rational person would subject themselves to this when there's a perfectly good side of the United States that has no snow. I think it's safe to assume everyone in the snow regions are insane. No, maybe not criminally insane, but I suspect one would not find anything other than butter knives on sale in stores there. I'm positive the only shoes that can be purchased are either slip-on or velco. And I expect that elastic waistbands are the only fashion choice offered since belts are obviously contraband.

Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 AM

. I live in one of those snowbelts. We only had about 8" of snow, but the cold and wind are brutal today. They are calling for the temps to drop to -8 tonight.

That being said....I love the snow!! The next town over (the one I teach in) has a ski resort. Normally, on snow days, my family hits the slopes, but it is just too bitter cold today. I enjoy sitting in front of the fire and looking out at all the snow. Hifi, maybe you should try it sometime (although you will have to adjust your footwear).
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 AM

. Do you really want the entire NE region to relocate to sunny CA?

I am not a huge snow fan (I don't ski, despite growing up in a town with two ski areas!) and I hate shoveling (thank God my DS is still home from college and can do it!). But snow can have its charms. When it's snowing, everything is soft and quiet. The woods after a snow look like a Winter Wonderland. Everyone hunkers down before a big snow and then goes out the next day and cheerfully kvetches about shoveling. AND we might get a snow day out of it! (Like today)

(The downsides are potential power outages, slushy streets and the way the grocery stores are rushed as if no one will ever have access to water or bread again)
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with snow.

One of my favorite sounds in the world is a snowstorm at night. I will stand on my deck and listen. There is such a pristine, magical silence. Then you'll hear the snow blowing through the trees, plops of snow dropping from tree branches or a roof because it's too heavy. Then that silence is broken with a loud scraping sound as the plows barrel down streets. I just love it.

I love how the snow and the moon brighten up the field behind my house. It's so bright, you can see clear across to the other side where other houses are (1/2 mi away). It glows this bluish white glow. I love it. It's like it never truly gets dark.

I can even deal with shoveling if it's the light fluffy stuff.

I hate though the cold that comes with it. Bitter nasty cold. I hate my heating bill Dec - February. I hate the sweating that goes along with shoveling. I hate when the snow turns an ugly black on the side of the road. I hate driving around people who have no clue how to drive in snow. I love snow delays but hate cancellations. I hate that the snow can stick around for a really long time. At some point, you want it all to go away because you feel like winter will never ever ever end.
Winn-Dixie is online now   Reply With Quote

irises

Too Funny!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM

But there is something magical about snow as long as everyone is safely home and we have power!!! Winter does drag on a bit too long here and while I am not a fan of cold weather, I cannot imagine living in places like Florida or California. I enjoy visiting though! Give me the changes of the seasons and the serene charm and beauty of New Jersey (most of the state that outsiders don't know about )!

irises is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Try it
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM

You'll like it! I get so excited when I know it's going to snow that I can't sleep. I think I say "it's snowing" more than, and usually before, my students do. I love it when it "smells" like snow before the storm even though my family thinks I'm nuts. I especially like to see it at night. It makes everything clean and new. I love to see the unbroken snow on lawns. Even better is when you can see the sparkles in the snow. I am dangerous behind the wheel when driving in snow since I am so mesmerized by it coming down. MOST of the time, I don't even mind shoveling it.

Seriously, Hifi, try it!
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM

I know! That's why I live in AZ. If I never see snow again, that's fine by me.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Have you ever known the joy a snow day or cold day can bring, Hifi? You might not call us crazy after that.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Snow
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Been there, done that and don't care if I see snow again either. I love my 70 degree day today!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM

I had California friends visit me one year in November. We had a few flurries. No Kentuckian would call it snow. But my friends were ecstatic running around in it like it was some sort of magic spell.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Honestly
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM

I have to admit when I was in 8th grade (?) and my family & another family were on vacation in Tahoe I did go around the entire house waking everyone up saying "It's snowing" but honestly I agree with Hifi overall....
I wouldn't mine ONCE in a while...

As PP stated a snow day would give me such a thrill (this coming from someone whose never had a day called in basically 15 years of teaching and 18-20 (?) years as a student except 1989 1 day for the SF earthquake!)

Sigh but I would like some rain to clean out all this junk so I can breath again!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-03-2014, 09:23 AM

We are doubly blessed today - 8 inches of new snow and wind chills near -30. Enjoying my snow day in my PJ's and Orange is the New Black marathon on Netflix!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Seriously Hifi?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM

I love, love, love snow. I lived in a very small ski resort for some years and enjoyed it a lot.
When I lived in Los Angeles, I loved being able to get up very early, snowboard all morning long, and hit the beach after lunch
Vacation in the Tahoe area was just great too...
When I retire, I'll spend summers in Arizona and winters in Montana ( a girl can dream, no?)
WacSingLof is online now   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM

I live near Boston, and hate the snow. I do have to say, though, I think it's the least terrible type of weather to deal with. I would prefer a blizzard to a tornado or hurricane... and DEFINITELY prefer it to an earthquake!
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That's why I live in AZ.
I lived in Arizona for several years, and we always had snow But it was nice to drive down to the valley to get away from it, too. Actually, one of my scariest driving experiences ever was driving back from Phoenix through Payson in a complete white out with a screaming baby in the back. Since I was driving on the road that was near a cliff, I had no idea when/where I could even pull over. It was so scary! Couldn't see anything in front of my face!

I like snow ok, but I hate driving in it.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 01-03-2014, 12:36 PM

I love snow as long as I don't have to drive when it's icy. In Houston, we don't have to worry about this much (it's a nightmare when it does get this way). My favorite memories as a child were when it was snowing! Of course, I only had to worry about having multiple sets of warm mittens. Some of my favorite memories as an adult were also when it was snowing!
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

crayonbox

Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM

I HATE snow and live in central Illinois. I need to move to California. I can't move this weekend - blizzard coming.
crayonbox is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
No rational person would subject themselves to this when there's a perfectly good side of the United States that has no snow.
Shhhhh!!! Don't tell them--they might all come!!
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote