Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Colder Climate People Please Tell Me...

>

wildflowerz

Colder Climate People Please Tell Me...
Old 01-24-2014, 06:45 PM

How do you manage living in a place with a real winter? What kind of tips do you have for those of us who are having more winter than we are used to?

When I got in my car after school I drove home with my hood up and my mittens on because it was so cold. I tried walking the dogs right away but my pants weren't enough to keep me warm so I had to put on long underwear and ski pants.

It is 11 degrees today and I know we will get a break since the weather will soon be back up to the 30's. But there are some of you who deal with this ALL winter long! How do you do it??????

I try to stay positive but I just want to curl up in my bed until the temps go up.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 PM

I'm not in a super cold area, but it gets cold enough and I moved here from a warm area. This is what I was told: "There's no such thing as bad weather. Just bad clothing." That is, you just don't have the gear to deal with it. So put on the long underwear and snow pants.

You also acclimate. I used to freeze at 60. This week, I was commenting how warm it was because it was high 40's. I have an Alaskan friend who was happy to go outside without a coat because it was all the way to 0!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-24-2014, 06:52 PM

It was 20 when I was out today, and I didn't wear a coat.

My mother gave up on me wearing a coat years ago. I have three in the back seat of my vehicle, just in case.

It's all in what you are used to.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

coffeemate

Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 PM

How do you do it? Well, you dress for it. Layers are a good thing so that you can strip if you start getting too warm. I let my car warm up before I get it in and I have a seat warmer which is really nice. I drive in gloves until the car really warms up. Scarves are a good thing and I find when I'm wearing one snugly it makes a real difference to how warm I feel.

The worst part is duty outside with my students. Our school property is basically open field with nothing to cut the wind at all--it's brutal out there, so dressing for duty days takes a few minutes along with the kids: boots, snow pants, coat, scarf, hat, mitts and sunglasses.

It's -20'C without the wind chill here right now. Neither the dogs nor I feel like going out for a walk in it.
coffeemate is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 PM

Just do it! Don't think about it. Heat cars up before getting in them if possible, wear warm clothes, have warm coats, etc. The other night I really didn't want to bring in my garbage cans because it was FREEZING (below 0). I just told myself I have to do it and did it as quickly as possible! The dread of it is the worst part! Fleece jammies are my best friend!

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Cold
Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 PM

I agree with a combination of the PP. You do get used to it. Once it heats back up to the 20s I just make sure I'm wearing a sweatshirt and I throw lighter spring coat over the top when going out. I hate winter coats, but I'm pretty used to the cold so I can handle it.

Also, I agree when it's this cold, most have the clothing needed to keep warm. We actually had school with -30 windchills Thursday. I walk to school and when it's below zero my legs aren't bundled up so they get cold...I just threw on a pair of snowpants and I was toasty warm on my walk. Today, it was in the 20s on the way home and I was roasting in my winter coat.

The only part I really hate about winter (other than when it drags on) is getting out of my toasty bed and my hot shower because I keep the house at 60.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 PM

I think the same thing about people who live where it's over 100 for weeks at a time in the summer months, or people who live in the south with the heat and the horrible humidity for months. How do they put up with it? It sounds miserable to me.

First, it's all about attitude. Enough with the whining and complaining people! I like the seasons to change and be real seasons. Yes, it's bitterly cold now, but it's January, so it should be cold and snowy. Just when we think we can't stand it anymore spring will arrive and it will get milder. So in other words, this too shall pass.

Secondly, we know it will be like this so we are prepared for cold weather. I have 2 fireplaces that I love to have lit and lots of sweaters, fleece zip up jackets, hoodies, throws on my sofas and chairs, etc. My outer clothing is very warm and made for extreme weather. I have extra blankets in my car and a remote starter so I can warm it up. I keep a stock of hot cocoa in my pantry.

Lastly, I decorate with snowmen in the winter. Snowmen and evergreen wreaths all around. Looks so pretty and festive!

I really think it would be a lot better if it stayed light longer. For me it's more the short days and all the dark than the cold.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

If there is something I HAVE
Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 PM

to go to at night, I don't go home before it. I just work at school longer, or visit my mom. Once I get home, I stay home. One of the hardest parts is the students getting crazy over the weather changes...aka blizzards😁 I think many of us dream of lake time😊
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 PM

Seat Warmes, remote starters and electric blankets are my best friends. I also keep hand warmers in my pockets.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
When I got in my car after school I drove home with my hood up and my mittens on because it was so cold.
You must have a short commute! In really cold weather, I often feel like the car is the only place I'm warm, because it's the only place I don't feel too guilty to crank up the heat as high as I want it. It warms up fast.

Aside from that, I agree with the PP: It's all about attitude, and having the right gear. And you can fake a lot of the right gear by layering the wrong gear.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 AM

I live in Southern North Carolina now by the SC state line, but I used to live in Pennsylvania. Bitterly cold weather means that you usually wait until afternoon to do outside activities. At that time, the temperature might get all the way up to 22, but at least the sun will be shining. What I really hated, and still do, are those days when there is a wind chill. I'll pass on all outdoor activities when it's like that. I just crank up the gas fireplace and play Candy Crush. 😀
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-25-2014, 05:07 AM

I think your body adjusts to it. I have always preferred the cold over hot. At least when I am cold I can put on another layer. What do you do when it is extremely hot!?!

I usually heat up my car for about 5 minutes before I leave for work in the morning. I usually start my commute with my gloves, but take them off about half way to school.

If it is in the 30's I will go out with just a heavy sweater and take my jacket in case it gets colder. Although we have not been above freezing in a long time.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Definitely layers
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 AM

If you keep your extremities warm that helps a lot.

I recommend really good gloves or mittens, thick socks (or two thinner pairs), and always wear a hat. Wear a scarf because you can use it on your neck or over your face or on your head underneath your hat.

I always wear a sweater under my wool coat.

For thinner pants, wear tights or leggings underneath.

Also wear decent shoes. Thinner sneakers are not going to keep your feet warm.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

teachlove76

Don't think about it...
Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 AM

you just have to deal with it. This has been a colder winter than in past years. Just make sure you dress warmly when going out and give your car a few minutes to warm up. Like someone else mentioned, we must be used to it because sometimes I'll go outside without a coat on too.
teachlove76 is offline   Reply With Quote

jersey

Cold
Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 AM

Heated seats in the car are the world's best invention!

I have Sorel boots that I have had for 10 years. They still look brand new, and they are so cozy warm.

Good mittens

Many warm, cozy sweaters

A good bed to curl up in
jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 AM

You do get used to it and learn which types of clothes keep you the warmest. Another thing that I have found is very important is to find a winter activity that you can learn to enjoy whether it is snowshoeing (my choice), skiing, skating, snowboarding, snowmobiling, drinking
Winter can be long so you have to have something to do or you'll go crazy.
As a PP mentioned the hardest part is the shortened hours of daylight. I recently noticed that it is staying light out longer and it isn't totally dark as I go to and from work now--YIPPEE
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 AM

You really appreciate spring when it arrives!
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

woodstocktchr

Me too
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 AM

I am so with Ima Teacher.

In December, I start chauffeuring my coat and gloves around in the back of my car "just in case."

Last week, our wind chills were sub zero, but I still couldn't bring myself to wear a coat. Maybe I am part penguin.
woodstocktchr is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You must have a short commute! In really cold weather, I often feel like the car is the only place I'm warm, because it's the only place I don't feel too guilty to crank up the heat as high as I want it. It warms up fast.
Ha, I feel the same way. I love getting into the car because I know I'll be warm!

I grew up in Chicago, which gets pretty cold in the winter. I remember my parents keeping the heat down super low, and having the one room that didn't have a heating vent, so I wore full outside gear to bed (mittens, scarf, hat, etc), but I don't really remember being that cold otherwise, so I guess I was just used to it. I do remember being super hot in the summer because we had no A/C and it can get sweltering.

Now that I'm back in a cooler climate (not that cold, but certainly colder than HI), I am having to readjust, and I agree that clothing makes ALL the difference! When I was actually dressed properly and went out to walk the dog in the 20 degree weather, I was so comfortable. My kids are largely walking around sans jackets, even in the 30s, so I guess they have grown used to it much quicker than I
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM

NORTHFACE and UGGS.
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Kathcha

I live in New England
Old 01-25-2014, 08:24 PM

and we like winter, the snow , skiing, snowshoeing, my dh and ds coach and plays ice hockey, etc. We don't mind the cold, you just need to dress for it. I walk with a group of girls every day and we walk in any kind of weather. However, I have to say I'm not a big fan of the cold when it gets down near zero or below with the wind chill. Like everyone else, I recommend layers and there's nothing like fleece for warmth and you have to have really good socks. If you wear cotton and your feet sweat, then they are cold and then you freeze. I wear socks that have a couple of layers so that it wicks away sweat when you have boots on. I like one of the sock layers to be wool. If your feet are warm, it helps tremendously. My Bear Paw boots are the best.

I couldn't live in an area that is warm or hot all the time with no seasons. I love the change of seasons.
Kathcha is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM

It's brutal! I live in the Boston area, and my husband is from Maine. I have to say, I think I have it pretty easy after seeing how cold it gets in his hometown. I know a lot of people say it's all about your clothing or how used to it you are, but no matter what jacket I have on I hate this weather, and I have lived here my entire life. The only thing that gets me into my car every morning is my remote starter. Try to stay as warm as possible and stay inside when you can!
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote