Help

The VENT

WHY is there homework on weekends????

>

g8rFan

WHY is there homework on weekends????
Old 02-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 7th grade DD is overloaded with homework this weekend. I don't understand this!! Homework is controversial already...but isn't the weekend supposed to be family/activity/down time? I am a teacher and I NEVER assign HW over the weekend.

DD is a competitive gymnast. She had a meet 3 hours away today, which basically took the entire day. She worked on homework yesterday, today in the car on the way back from the meet, and now this evening. She is exhausted and I am frustrated.

Having a child almost in tears, complaining of a headache, and making her say not nice things about her teachers is NOT helping her to learn a thing.

Vent over. Just so tired of homework assigned on weekends.

g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here in California, it's actually against Ed code to assign homework on the weekends. I'd check your states ed code and see if its the same and take it to the teacher/school and state you expect no more weekend assignments.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Daphne333

Homework
Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I assign homework if they didn't finish it during class. It has to be done no matter what day it falls on. I have to turn scores in and get talked to if scores aren't recorded and work isn't fixed by the student.
Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 02-09-2014, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I generally do not assign homework on the weekend, but I am in the minority. I teach fifth grade and most teachers do assign it from fifth grade up. I haven't heard of it below fifth grade, though. I am in MA- maybe we are the minority?
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my building we MUST assign homework Mon-Thurs. which I have a problem assignning homework just because. There are some days I don't wanna!!! I believe in assigning it to reinforce skills and there are some days we haven't finished with a skill or I don't feel like the kids have a skill solidly enough to send homework home on it.

We can NOT assign on Friday which I'm generally ok with as I've rarely sent it home. Every once in awhile I sent it home to finish something that wasn't finished in class due solely to poor choices on the students' part. This year it isn't an issue but it has been in the past and it would be nice to have that option. I have never sent home reams of homework, generally just a worksheet.

If I were you I would be calling the teacher(s) to see what's up. If it's departmentalized they may not realize exactly how much homework the kids are getting.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Time for a revolt
Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Grades 7-12. 6 years of a child's life. Not only do they have to deal with the social hell of school, but they have to fry their brain all day long. Then they get to come home and do more.

Why is it okay to rob a third of a child's childhood. THIS needs to change and it can only change with parents revolting. Is your child on the track to the most prestigious college or will a community college do? If my kids were little now, they would NOT be doing homework for more than 30 min. 3 days a week. Period. REally that is too much.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

SenseiKen

Weekends
Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I assign homework M - Th. I feel that the practice is good and the students need to develop responsibility to get the work in.

I don't assign homework on Fridays. First, I feel that there should be a break from school; but mostly because I don't think I would ever stand a prayer of seeing it on Monday.
SenseiKen is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Homework in middle school in our district is atrocious. It is far more than elementary and High School! I don't know how the MS teachers get away with it. Kids are on the fast track to burn-out!

I would say something. First, ask around with other parents in your DD's class. Do they have the same amount?

Then, take it up with the teacher and the P (if necessary).

We can't burn these kids out in middle school!!
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Hw
Old 02-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach Spec Ed, and I rarely assign homework. Most do not have any parent support at home to help them if they need it, and some the parents on a good show during meetings about being shocked about late work, but their kids have never done a lick of homework in the 2 years I've had them.

I will sometimes give HW if we didn't get through something in class, even if it is on a Friday, but we have study hall every day, and I never give more than a few questions or problems. I work with a teacher who gives homework every.single.day. I hate it, but I guess it's a difference in teaching philosophies.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Homework
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am in my 50s and I had homework on weekends as a kid. I remember working all weekend and being excited to watch the Sunday night mystery movie-Columbo and MacMillan and Wife. I also was on a travel team. I honestly think kids do not have the work ethic we were brought up on. My mother expected hard work and that was just the way it was. I do not think you can learn everything you need to learn in the school day. You need time on the weekends to study and let things sink in. I told my class that there are always the kids that will study harder than everyone else and they will get into the good schools and get the good jobs. Hard work pays off.

Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Not done in class
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I only assign homework that is not finished in class, so yes, they might get things on the weekend, but it's because it wasn't finished in class. I understand that weekend is down time/family time, but at the same time, there is a lot more we are expected to cover and when you have kids learning/finishing things at different paces, it makes it hard to start fresh somewhere without assigning what wasn't finished in class.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 02-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sometimes my students have math homework, but in general no homework. My students do however have a project due Tuesday. They had the first 30 minutes of each day and about an hour social studies time to finish it. Most aren't even near complete. They wasted their time so now they have weekend homework. In this case, I don't feel bad at all about assigning the homework.

When I taught middle school it was commonplace for the kids to be loaded on projects on their off time and weekends. I felt bad for them. Shouldn't be allowed.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

I agree with no projects.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The benefit of the project is usually not worth the time the student spends on it. Often the parents have to help. Math homework and studying are just things kids need to do-even middle school students.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

ESDTeacher98

I never do
Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I believe weekends are family time. I don't check my work email on weekend either.
ESD
ESDTeacher98 is offline   Reply With Quote

OneOldGoat

Old 02-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I give homework m-f unless there is a quiz or a test that day. My assignments are not huge... they should take no more than 30 minutes. I tell my students if it's taking them longer than that, they need to let me know and we can find some time to work together and see what's giving them difficulty. I think it's important for kids to have a chance to practice the skills we cover in class... outside of class. Depending on how things go, we will often have 15 minutes or so for them to start the homework.

My son, on the other hand is overloaded with homework from his math class... sometimes as many as 80 problems. To me this is not productive and non conducive to him wanting to take time and be careful.

I teach high school this year, but have taught middle school. When I taught middle school, our department did not assign homework over the weeked.

Last edited by OneOldGoat; 02-09-2014 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: clarifying the grade level i teach
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

goosegirl

Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I give math homework on Fridays, but generally not other subjects. I haven't had any complaining from my parents, but I work in a charter school where the parents know we go at a fast pace and this can mean homework nightly. Most of my homework shouldn't take more than an hour total, if that. I think it teaches the kids to prioritize and work. However, they don't have a ton of it.
My thought is that students are in school to learn and prepare for life. Sometimes work has to be done on Saturdays and Sundays.
Just my two cents.
goosegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

If they have work they didn't finish given their time in class then they'll have homework (put on themselves). If they have long-term assignments and need to put in the time, they can do so on weekends. I understand "family time". I also understand that the responsibility of learning/education sits first and foremost at home, not with their teachers and schools. If a parent has an issue with the bulk of homework that is made given specifically over weekends, then by all means go talk to teachers. But there is a time and place for some of this work over weekends, depending on the circumstances. I hear way too many of these types of excuses/complaints on weekdays, and kids coming back in with homework never done.
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm required to give out homework over the weekend. However, my weekend homework is never any longer than my weeknight homework - they get approx 10-15 minutes worth of math/reading, followed by 15 minutes of independent reading. Hopefully they finish it on Friday night and get the weekends to themselves.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
They wasted their time so now they have weekend homework.
Quote:
If they have work they didn't finish given their time in class then they'll have homework (put on themselves).
Quote:
I only assign homework that is not finished in class, so yes, they might get things on the weekend, but it's because it wasn't finished in class.
Just to clarify...this was NOT classwork that wasn't finished because DD was wasting time. Trust me, if there is time in class to work, she does not waste it. With her gymnastics practice schedule, she has learned to very wisely use time.

No, this was actual homework assigned. There was at least an hour of assignments from 5 of her classes. Math takes even longer. While I appreciate the feedback, I respectfully disagree with many posters. I still feel that over 5 hours of homework over the weekend is too much. As I said in my original post...homework is a controversial thing!

teabreak

Homework
Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Was this homework or was it work that was assigned and she was out of class for?

If she truly had 5 hours of just homework, then that is excessive and you should probably talk to the teachers that assigned it. Perhaps they didn't know the others were assigning so much.

If it was work she missed because she was out, then that is a different story.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

She was not out of class. It was assigned as regular homework for all of the kids. It was 5 hours of homework, hence my frustrated post last night. Obviously, each teacher thinks that his/her class is the only one the students have. The only classes that did not assign weekend homework were choir and PE!

edugal

Hey G8rfan
Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I think the controversy over homework you mention is related to the assignment type. If a homework assignment doesn't provide specific practice/review for lessons taught in class, then it's deemed irrelevant or "busy work." So would you say that's the case with DD's homework assignments? If not, I don't see a few hours of weekend homework too far from reasonable. It's still in the 60 - 70 mins. a night range. I certainly can't speak to your situation, but most kids waste that much time each day texting, facebooking, instagramming, and twittering.

Managing homework provides great life lessons for kids. I never looked at homework as a negative for my children (although there was one crazy year for my younger son). And when I was a kid, I had scouts, music lessons, sports, plenty of chores around the house, part-time jobs--and plenty of homework thanks to my catholic school teachers. Homework was just another expectation, and plenty was expected of us back in the '70s. (I know, I sound preachy and old : )

Of course we didn't have travel teams and weekend-long sports competitions. I think that kind of activity really impacts family time, too.

If your daughter's teachers are serving up too much "busy work," I'd talk to them. Otherwise, I'd make sure she's managing her projects and assignments in a timely manner and not getting sidetracked in the middle of them.
edugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

Devil's advocate
Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Unless it is hours I don't know if it is so wrong. Maybe competitive sports with activity 3 hours away is too much? I agree with the reply that said there never use to be so many demands on the child's life like there is today. I do think the positive is time management skills, but as a mom of extra sporting events, and now a grandma who has grandkids in extra sports, they are positive in many ways, but take up a lot of time. Lots to think about.
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I assign homework M-Th because I have to. For the weekend I just tell students to read for at least 20 minutes and if they can do First in Math. I tell my parents at back to school night that if their child can't finish their homework in 40 mins. [4th gr.] don't worry about it, I don't want them frustrated. Just write me note so we can go over it in class.

I think students need a break from school work, at home activities can be more helpful than school work. Your DD competitive gymnastics is much more important than needing to weekend homework. Some students may not be good academically but are fantastic in a sport or other activity. I have a student who plays football, and he has learned ways to control his behavior.

Write a note next time and let the teacher know that your DD wasn't able to finish her homework because of family obligations.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

Reasonable
Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I honestly never knew until PT that homework on the weekends was a no-no. I give a math worksheet and encourage them to read. I feel they can manage 25 min of work time in. To me, that's reasonable.

However, 5 hours is way too much. Was it all assigned on Friday?

In general, my parents always expected me to work hard. Sunday was homework day at our house. Five hours does sound excessive, though. I would talk with the teacher.
AndSoItIs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I think every family is different. My own son had been swamped with homework on Mondays, and is now doing his best to find out assignments early so he can do them on the weekends. Our schedule is less busy then, and the same assignment that takes him a short time on a Saturday morning takes him much longer on an evening when he's tired from a full day of school.

As for the amount, check her school handbook. Ours lists ranges of homework to expect, and would be 4-9 hours in a whole week for her grade. Our elementaries do have a policy of avoiding weekend homework, but our middle schools don't.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

homework five days a week
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

No one would see a problem with that, right? The issue is that each weekend has THREE nights and surely junior can squeeze homework in on one of his incredibly busy nights.

No wonder our country's test scores suffer...
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote