Help

The VENT

How is your district making up days?-Poll

>

Munchkins

How is your district making up days?-Poll
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Since misery loves company, , I was wondering how your district is making up for the overage of snow/weather days. We are off for our 7th day today (although most other districts had a delay, but I digress.) We are 3 over our allotment. Here are the questions:

How will your district make up extra days of school due to weather?

If you lose vacation time, are accommodations made for those who can prove they had made arrangements ahead of time?

If you are one of the "lucky ones" who get permission to take off, do you need to pay for a sub, take the day without pay, or what?

Will it cause ill will/low moral in your building to be there when some (maybe more affluent?) are off on vacation and others couldn't afford to book a flight somewhere ahead of time and have to man the trenches?

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Snow days
Old 02-14-2014, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have had 4 days. We gave up MLK day and President's Day.
We will tag on the other 2 at the end.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Where I work in Massachusetts the district has 5 extra days added to the end of the school year. If there are no snow day, then we get out 5 days early. We have had 3 snow days so far and I'm hoping for no more.

If we go past the 5 days, which happen in 2012, then subs are used for coverage. In 2012 I subbed for a teacher on the last 2 days of school. He had scheduled a surgery.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

MaxPebbles

Unsure
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are still unsure as to what is going to happen. In Texas, the rule is that we tack them on to the end of the year, but that has never happened. Graduation is already set for June the 6th. So by law they can't change that. We are about 99% sure that TEA will waive the days like they did 3 years ago. We will give up our 2 bad weather days in May and that's it.

YAY!
MaxPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have lost 5 or 6 days (I can't remember for sure) because at the beginning of the year we also closed for heat - we have no air conditioning. I believe we are just adding days to the end of the year.

If you lose vacation time, are accommodations made for those who can prove they had made arrangements ahead of time?

I doubt it. I am not sure how that will work out.

If you are one of the "lucky ones" who get permission to take off, do you need to pay for a sub, take the day without pay, or what?

Generally in my school if you have PTO left you can take it, but if you don't have any left then you have to lose pay for that day. I think generally it's up to you to be responsible with your PTO - but we get like 5 or 6 days a year and can carry over - I have a total of 10 days saved up and I've used 1.5 days this year so far.

Will it cause ill will/low moral in your building to be there when some (maybe more affluent?) are off on vacation and others couldn't afford to book a flight somewhere ahead of time and have to man the trenches?

Possibly. Our school has a high turnover rate anyways, so I doublt this will make that big of a dent!

ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

We're lucky
Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The state gives us five freebies. Then the state allows "blizzard bags" for 3 days which are basically packets or online assignments depending on the demographics of the district. The state is also considering passing additional 4 freebie days, but republicans are holding it up not because they believe taxpayers should get what they paid for even though the republican governor is for it.

Our district is at 7 days so the kids have had two days of online makeup assignments. Being an upper middle class suburb it's worked out for the most part.

I was told by a seasoned teacher that the district never adds days. I assume if they had to they'd tack on a half hour for a couple weeks to make it up. I remember doing that as a 4th grader and they were the longest days ever.
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

Bank days
Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had two days banked or saved for bad weather. We used them. We made up 2 more by using a teacher work day and a teacher inservice day, but the kids only came half days. The fifth day will mean losing our March teacher workday. I know they do all they can to avoid tacking days onto the end and they will not take vacation days (like Spring Break), though we might lose Memorial Day.
So if that happened, and you wanted to call out for vacation, you would have to take leave without pay. The district will still get a sub for you, but you can't take sick or vacation time before, after or on a holiday. If too many people put in sick and they are afraid they will run out of subs, they will deny people days off.
Morale is already low. Some people take a week off several times a year. Some of us are there all the time. Resentment does occur.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm in MA, and we frequently have 5 or more days each year. There are 5 days built into the schedule, and if we have less than 5 we get out early. If we have more than 5, they are added on at the end. As of today, we have had 4 and will get out in mid-June. We have had to go until the very end of June before, though!
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms_C.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in Texas too and TEA has already rejected out waiver. We have lost Good Friday and Memorial day.
Ms_C. is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

To Answer Your Questions
Old 02-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My district has had four cold days. We have one day built into the calendar, and the other three will be added to the calendar at the end. Instead of getting out on Friday, June 7, kids and staff will attend school three days the next week.

If you made arrangements ahead of time, cancel them. Vacations, grad classes, etc. all take a back seat to being at your job. You will not be excused for any reason...except maybe death!

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

We have missed 5 days.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We usually have the entire week off for Mardi Gras, but we are losing 3 of our days. We will be off Monday and Tuesday, but must return Wednesday through Friday.

My school has enough extra minutes to make up for the other 2 days. Other schools in my district will have to add 15 minutes to each day to make up the other 2 days.

The Mardi Gras days are always on our calendar as "contingency days" and we are told not to plan any vacations for those days. I'm sure that anybody who takes off one of those days will do so without pay.

We also lost an early dismissal day at the end of the year. We will have to stay the whole day.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Newto3s

Newto3s

Mostly nothing in NJ
Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I answered this in another thread. I don't really know. The only time we went over was for a state of emergency, Sandy. We went over by like 6 days. We had three snow days built in, we lost two half days, and our Feb break. We lost three weeks in total. After that it was considered done. My cooperating teacher when I student taught said in the past, they would do end ten minutes to each day until the end of school. Sometimes, if the ten minutes weren't enough, they would do Saturday classes. One time, we went over and they took spring vacation. I had already bought cruise tickets with my ex. He printed out the confirmation of when they were order (before we had run of of snow days). I got to use my personal days and two sicks days with pay. I got hate for it from coworkers, but I've never really gotten along with my coworkers. I'm always been sort of a scapegoat, because I don't kiss up to higher ups.

Really there's nothing to do. Once you've used up half days and vacation time, they usually don't extend.

harley

Old 02-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We had 3 days out in January for snow and now 4 days out for snow and ice. For the 3 days off in January we have to give up our a Teacher Workday this Monday and then they have added 13 minutes to each day from now until June. The district has said they will let us know what happens later. We could lose Good Friday and maybe add on more minutes? Only time will tell.
harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Even though my school district has lost 5 or 6 days, we apparently have at least 2 more left until we have to start making up time! I was pretty excited about that.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We had 2 days built into the school calendar - an in-service day and Martin Luther King. We are now having classes those days and we'll have 2 days added at the end of the school year (in June). Teachers will go an extra day in June - for the missed in-service.

Many years ago when we had a lot of "snow days" - the school district extended the school days for the last quarter to make up the days we'd lost. Kids came at 7:30 and stayed until 4:30. Yuck! But it stopped us from going to school towards the middle-end of June.

We started school in mid-end of August.

Last edited by Mugs; 02-15-2014 at 01:51 PM..
Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote

cdr18

Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

In my school district in Indiana, we have lost 8 days due to weather (fog, snow, cold).

The stated waived 2 days, so we have 6 to make up at the end of the school year. Currently, our last day is scheduled for June 3. Ugh....
cdr18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

My last day is June 26th
Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Or something like that. We started after Labor Day. Even with that we still owe 3 days (so far.) We have 4 built in, and that pushed our ending date to the end of June. Our union is trying to salvage our spring break which is in April. Hopefully we can give back a PD day and maybe do a couple of Sat. Too early to determine it now, as we could still get some more snow days.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

campingfamily

Add minutes
Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

A friend of mine on Facebook posted that at her kids' school they were tacking on minutes to the end of the day (not sure how many) until March 21.
campingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote