Help

High School

Help - stressed about new science course

>

BioBirdie

Help - stressed about new science course
Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in the process of planning a new science elective I have been asked to teach this year. (nothing like waiting until the last minute...6 days before school starts for me!) I am "wasting" too much time debating how to set-up grades for this new class and would like to hear some of your opinions - PLEASE! Other classes I have taught are ones that everyone takes and should have a chance to pass, thus I give a lot of points for homework, labs, projects. Students who don't do so well on tests still usually pass the class if they have been doing their work all year. MY DILEMMA - I am supposed to make this new science elective rigorous. It is Anatomy and Physiology for 11th and 12th grade students planning on going to college in a health-related career. I have planned to cover all 16 chapters in the textbook. I think I want students to read and outline from the text, and then do the accompanying assignments in the workbook. I have labs, demos, and activities to do in class...along with going over workbook answers and chapter outlines. STRESS STRESS STRESS - I would love to grade the students just on their chapter tests - like all of my college classes were. WOULD THIS BE TERRIBLE OF ME? I would still be checking their understanding of material as we go through the assignments, etc.....but should I give some points for "participation" and if so, how much? I am totally over thinking this, please help.

BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsChem

Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught a similar elective for two years called medical science for students who are interested in the health field. I ran the class like a college course and expected the students to read and outline on their own. We always discussed the material, but they were responsible for their own notes. I graded them mostly on tests (60%). The rest was homework and group work. I guess the group work was like participation, but I never give credit just for asking questions.

Of course, I had a few students (seniors no less) who thought the class was a joke and failed. At some point, they have to be responsible for their actions.
MrsChem is offline   Reply With Quote