Help

High School

Help! new AP World teacher

>

Alfina653

Help! new AP World teacher
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching about 3 years now, Global 9 and 10. I started at a new school this September, and was thrilled when they gave me exactly what I wanted (Global 9 & 10), as I was hoping that I would not have to take work home with me. However, at the very last minute, the AP World teacher quit. So, they gave it to me even though I told them I never taught it and really didn't want it.

Anyway, I am totally swamped. This class is very different from Global, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I checked the AP website and it's very intense! I've never taught on that level before....this class is taking up so much of my time, that I am falling behind with my other classes and the work is piling up.

Is there anyone out there who has taught AP World? Any tips on how to get through that curriculum and make class interesting? I feel like all I do is cram them with notes and discuss articles.....

Alfina653 is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicNerd2009

Old 09-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I took AP World in high school, my teacher assigned us a certain amount of pages to read each night, usually 4 or 5. Also, every Wednesday and Friday she does little quizzes. Mostly in class she would let us do that nights reading assignment, she would show us a video, or do a document analysis with the class as a whole on the overhead. After a few weeks she introduced the FRQ and the DBQ to us. From what I have heard, AP World is the hardest social studies AP class to teach.
MusicNerd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alfina653

Old 09-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the input. Yes, I've pretty much been doing outlines and documents with them, but I feel the class is so repetitious. I hate how rushed it is....I feel like I can't really get into topics with the class the way I'd like to because it combines all of Global 9 and 10 into one year.... I guess I'm struggling with how to give them a solid foundation without overwhelming them.
Alfina653 is offline   Reply With Quote