Designing a Unit Pretest

>

InverseTeach0

InverseTeach0

Designing a Unit Pretest
Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!

I'm a first-year Algebra 2 teacher, and I'm a bit confused about the process of designing a pre-test and post-test for a unit.

1) How long should a pre-test take to complete (if I'm teaching a 90-minute class)?
2) Does a pre-test test students on prerequisite concepts or on the concepts they'll be learning during the unit?
3) How far in depth should I go on a pre-test for a unit on inverse functions? The topics I plan on going over with students include how to verify that two functions are inverses, how to come up with the inverse function, how to restrict the domain of an inverse relation so that it is a function, properties of inverse function graphs (i.e. switched coordinate pairs and reflections over the line y = x), and the horizontal line test.

(I'm a bit confused as to which types of concepts I can include apart from composition of functions and solving for one variable in terms of another because the students have not been exposed to any other topics.)
4) Should I include word problems on a pretest or is a pretest mainly meant to test procedural skills?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm stressing out big time, and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

MusicNerd2009

Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I student taught, I taught Algebra 1 and Geometry. My definition of a pre-test has always been that it is the same format as the actual test for that chapter.

1) How long should a pre-test take to complete (if I'm teaching a 90-minute class)?
So my tests would have 20 questions none were multiple choice and it counted as an extra credit grade, so no matter how bad you did, it helped your grade.
2) Does a pre-test test students on prerequisite concepts or on the concepts they'll be learning during the unit?
Mine is usually what they will learn from the chapter, but as always in a math class, some concepts from a previous chapter will appear or be applied to a question in this chapter.
3) How far in depth should I go on a pre-test for a unit on inverse functions? The topics I plan on going over with students include how to verify that two functions are inverses, how to come up with the inverse function, how to restrict the domain of an inverse relation so that it is a function, properties of inverse function graphs (i.e. switched coordinate pairs and reflections over the line y = x), and the horizontal line test.
I would just give them a pre-test on everything you just mentioned so you can see what they know and they know what they need to ask questions for and that to study for.
MusicNerd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote