Help

High School

Creative Freedom

>

newteacher9

Creative Freedom
Old 08-07-2015, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How much freedom do you have when it comes to your classroom? I'm curious as to how different schools/states address this issue. I know my high school is starting to lean towards every teacher of the same grade level/subject to teach the same readings, assessments, and projects.

I have so many readings I've always loved doing and I feel like those are being taken away from me now, even though they address the same standards.

newteacher9 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

pretty good freedom
Old 08-08-2015, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district, they want us all on the same page when it comes to the standards, but they have yet to tell us to all teach the same thing on the same day. If you teach a class that has an SOL test, they are more wanting you to be in line with the others. However, if you teach a class that does not have an SOL, you are given a wide circle of freedom to teach your kids the way you see fit.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Florida
Old 08-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since I am the only teacher who teaches a subject, I can do my own stuff. I only have to give the county exams and AP Exams. In the past when I taught a more common subject (geometry for example), each teacher had the option to do their own thing as long as they followed the county curriculum, but as a group, all the geometry teachers opted to give the same tests and quizzes but assign different homework. Also, some of the teachers would do the same projects but some of the less creative teachers wouldn't do the artsy projects.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Old 08-09-2015, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the past, I had the freedom to make my own decision based on what is best for my students. New P, however, is more of the cookie cutter, everyone teach and test the same. The sad thing is, my students always did well based on how I teach, so I don't know how this will go.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

newteacher9

Thank you!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the responses! I used to have some freedom of what I taught and how I taught it as long as I taught the standards. This year I have little to no freedom and the unit plans I've been given completely go against my teaching style. All they do is bury the students in work that's going to be nearly impossible for me to grade.

It's sad because last year I was fully capable of teaching the standards in a way that worked for both me and my students, so I have no clue how this year will go. :\

newteacher9 is offline   Reply With Quote