Help

Magnolia Room

please tell me I'm not horrible!

>

1stgradenew

please tell me I'm not horrible!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started RC this year and I thought it was going great so far. I introduced the "relax chair" last week and explained it to the kids. Anyways on Wed. I had a little girl who was not paying attention during WW mini-lesson. She was messing with her hair thingy so I made her take it to her locker, then she came back and continued to not pay attention and bother others (usually a good student). She I warned her with the hair thingy the second time I sent her to the relax chair for 1 min....not a big deal right?!?! well last night the mom says to be at BTS night (in front of 10 parents) that her child shouldn't have to listen yet school is only been in session 1 week and that I am very mean and now she doesn't like this school anymore! I confirmed with her that she understood it was only for 1min and she well...

Fast forward to today...she calls the principal wanting a class change because I made her daught sit in a chair for over an hour! ahhh! are you kidding?!?!

mrssimon2gr

Oh boy
Old 08-31-2007, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

parents...I'm one--- and a teacher...
I've been known to listen to my own and hear their problems and imagine (just for a second) that it is not their perspective --but the TRUTH....then, reality hits. Why would a teacher do/say that?????

I hope your principal backs you up. Some parents just don't understand that setting limits and consequences are an important part of life and learning. I am not saying the only part.

I think that a relax chair is a neat idea. I usually just have mine put their heads down.

Hang in there. I'm sure the child "felt" like it was an hour and that's how all of this got twisted up.
How about a timer?

That's all I can add...I think it's hard and just keep doing a great job.

Kym

tpateacher

Old 09-01-2007, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

AHHH!! Parents. Hopefully your principal will understand that this is just a child seeking attention from her mother. Did you tell the child when she was sent that she would be going for exactly one minute? Another way to approach the "relax chair" is to tell the child to take a break until she can come back and pay attention to your lesson without bothering others. This puts it on the child to decide how much time to spend in the chair. I have not taught 1st, so this is just a suggestion, you know better than me!

Hylin

Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm wondering what grade you teach...
I'm in second and we use "Australia" as a self monitoring process. I don't send students there. We talk about what kinds of things can happen to make you have a difficult day and we read "Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day." Typically what will happen in my classroom, is a child is doing something off task and I will ask them to pull their color card, and then the child realizes that he/she is struggling and will go over to "Australia" [it's just an extra desk with a copy of the book, and a journal, and some inperational things posted around]. They're usually only there for a few minutes and then are ready to rejoin us.

That's unfortunate that you had that spat with the parent. I really hope that your principal is backing you up and won't change the child's class. I had a parent tell me that I shouldn't expect her child to be responsible. I pretty much laughed, because I know if she took that arguement to my principal, she'd get the same response. I don't care how old you are, or what week of school it is, children need to learn to listen and be responsible. What an ignorant parent. Sorry you're dealing with that!

Go Gators

Same thing
Old 09-01-2007, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had the same thing happen to me on the first week. The student said I made her stand with her nose to the wall as a punishment! What?! Thankfully, the mom called me b/c that didn't sound quite right to her and she quickly discovered that her daughter was not telling the truth.

I'm very thankful that the mom called me to work it out. She was very pleasent and wanted to have her daughter fess the truth. Regardless, I can tell you I went home with a headache that night!

TeacherLisa1st

Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hope your principal backs you up too. To put it simply - some parents just don't understand what it is like to be a teacher and they believe everything their little "angel" tells them! I'd like to give parents the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately I'm a little cynical because of all the problem parents I've had. There are just some nutty people out there!

Was there an assistant or another adult in there that could vouch for you? Sometimes that is helpful. You could also talk to the little girl about what happened. I hope the principal doesn't cave in to mom b/c that will just give her more power! Ack!

1stgradenew

principal
Old 09-02-2007, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know my principal will back me, she is good about that! The thing that drives me crazy is the mom did ask me first about it and I told her that to a first grader one minutes seems really long but that it was only 1 MINUTE!! In a way, I think put her in another class-then I don't have to deal with the mom all year!! ahhh!!

Last edited by 1stgradenew; 09-02-2007 at 08:17 AM..