Spinoff on "friends" vent..How about calling them "babies" - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Spinoff on "friends" vent..How about calling them "babies"

>

cheerio

Spinoff on "friends" vent..How about calling them "babies"
Old 09-02-2016, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am reading this "popular" K/First grade teacher's blog and she constantly refers to her students as either "babies" or "friends".
She has great ideas but she is driving me crazy with the babies and friends comments.

cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

coffeemate

Old 09-02-2016, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

YES!!!!! I've seen that on PT a number of times and it always gives me pause.

Anything you gauge the age of in years, not months, is no longer a baby.
coffeemate is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-02-2016, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our Instructional Coach constantly referred to our K-5 students as "babies." She meant it in a loving way, but we were mightily offended.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I talk about my kindergarten babies, but I don't say it to them. It's usually when I'm trying to emphasize how young they are when developmentally inappropriate expectations are being thrown our way.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I call my kinders my babies sometimes when I'm talking to other adults. Like ICrazyTeach said, it's more to emphasize how young they really are. I would never say it around them, though!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't call them babies, but have had a couple of special classes where I did. Not babies get your books out kind of stuff, but more you're not babies anymore, but your my babies and I promise my door will always be open.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 09-02-2016, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am also not a fan of teachers referring to students as their "friends" (bloggers really, because in my 19 years I have never once heard a colleague of mine call their students their "friends" when discussing them to other teachers.)
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Just today
Old 09-02-2016, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was subbing in a fifth grade classroom at my old school. This is an open pod school that does have folding doors between the classrooms (3 on each side of an open gathering space). There is a gap, about 4 1/2 feet wide, between classrooms and teachers put bookcases and rolling cabinets in that space to make another section of the "wall". The intermediate self-contained classroom is next door to the class where I subbed. A new student, who is extremely violent and inappropriately placed, had a huge meltdown and injured a para. The other students are not safe when he is like that. I had all but 2 of the other students in my classroom before I retired. I was talking with the para that was in the 5th grade classroom that I was worried about "my babies" in wheelchairs getting injured. I guess it is because they are basically helpless to protect themselves and, after having some for up to 4 years, they are a part of my life forever.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-02-2016, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach 1st, and I sometimes use the term with other adults more as a term of endearment about my students or emphasizing how young they really still are, but I never call them babies or refer to them as such in front of them. That would be weird to me. I also don't call them that constantly (more often "my students" or "my kids").
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 09-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Oh that's what I mean - she isn't calling them babies to their faces. It's in her blog posts but it's constant! I think it's strange.

cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

sha-nay-nay

Old 09-02-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I remember in one of my first education courses in college (many years ago), I had to write a paper....can't recall the topic, but I had made a comment in my paper to the effect of being a "student's friend." (Yeah, I was young and ignorant). It took me a couple of years to understand my professor's negative comment to my statement. As teacher's, we are no more a student's "friend" than a parent is a "friend" to their child. We teach, we lead, we guide......I am not getting out what I really want to say. Words are not coming.....So hopefully you understand.
sha-nay-nay is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I talk about my kindergarten babies, but I don't say it to them. It's usually when I'm trying to emphasize how young they are when developmentally inappropriate expectations are being thrown our way.
Quote:
I call my kinders my babies sometimes when I'm talking to other adults. Like ICrazyTeach said, it's more to emphasize how young they really are. I would never say it around them, though!
I'm the third K teacher to chime in and I agree with the first two. They really are babies considering what we are asking of them!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-02-2016, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My para used to call our K students that (to adults, not to the kids). I had to ask her to stop because it made the K teachers furious! They also get really angry about people saying "kindie," which unfortunately for them my P says constantly! They feel it undercuts their job and makes it sound like it's all just fun and games. Personally I think they're being a bit sensitive!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 09-03-2016, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This thread is cracking me up. I often address my second graders as "people" or "fellow humans". As in "Good job, People!" and "Good morning, Fellow Humans." My kids think it's funny. Once I had another teacher warn me that I'd better not let any parents or admin hear me calling kids humans. They might get offended.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I'd better not let any parents or admin hear me calling kids humans. They might get offended.
What is wrong with people!?!
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

chelseeuh

I call mine
Old 09-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I refer to them as my pupils.......

Just kidding. My class, my students, students. That's what I say most of the time. I teach first grade.
Last year my class was a real fire-cracker. People constantly referred to it as being full of "bad kids", like I'm talking about staff saying that. I would reply with something along the lines of not having any bad kids, but it was true that I had some very "uniquely intricate snowflakes".
chelseeuh is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

I'd say up k-1
Old 09-03-2016, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

are still in the realm of babies because they are innocent. To me, I equate innocence as being a baby. Not as a wah wah child in diapers baby, but a baby in our world. I didn't when I was younger, but as I age, I definitely see primary children as babies. Just my opinion...
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 09-04-2016, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have heard adults say it to each other, like when referring to "our low babies." I don't like it either.

I do sometimes call a kid baby, as a term of endearment like sweetie or honey. Most teachers I know do this. Maybe a regional thing.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I think it may be regional
Old 09-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have seriously never heard any teacher call the kinder kids babies. Sometimes they have been referred to as the little ones though!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 09-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have always thought that was strange too. I remember years ago reading a story about someone who was no longer allowed to sub for certain a teacher because she did not call the students "friends". Apparently the teacher had written in her sub plans that the sub HAD to call them that.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote