Magnolia Room

Logical Consequences???????/

>

1st Forever

1st Forever

Logical Consequences???????/
Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am having a very difficult with logical consquences. My children are disrespectful to me and other classmates. They call out all the time and have absolutley no idea that if a teacher is talking they need to be quiet and listen. I have gone through discussions about rules. We made them together but..... almost all are not following them. It is my 13th year teaching and I have always had great management skills however this year the class is doing me in and it is only day 11. It is a co teaching classroom with several students who have large behavior issues and I think it is feeding the other followers which I have many.

I am having a hard time thinking of a logical consequence to not following directions the 1st time. We went over it in detail today. What does it look like, feel like, and sound like to follow the directions the 1st time. The children know all that but they can't follow through. It is very frustrating for me and my co teacher. We feel that if we set up a system of consequences we will fall into the trap of calling the same parents all the time with really no positive outcome.

As you can tell I am frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions about consequences for 1st grade who as of now most do not seem to care about school or consequences.

miss.anderson

following directions
Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not tried this but I know other teachers who have... What about instead of a consequence for not following directions, a reward for listening the first time? You could tell the students that you will be watching to see who can listen and follow directions the first time. Then (not immediately after but soon after) give a simple direction (such as "Take out your Calendar folder")...and for the students who do it right away, make a big deal out of how they are first graders who can follow directions, and then all of those students get to play a class game...just something like Four Corners or 7 Up or any sort of fun classroom game...and the rest of the students can't play because they don't know how to be listeners...The next time you give directions watch again and see if more students are now paying attention now that there's the potential for participating in a game...Then make a HUGE deal that this is exactly what you want to see and they should be proud of themselves for being great listeners.

I can't promise this will work, but it is the next thing I am going to try for my few students who can't get their work done...Then oh well, I guess they won't have time to participate in our next fun activity.

tpateacher

This isn't really a logical consequence but..
Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My students also have a hard time keeping themselves from calling out. Today I starting putting a mark on the board every time someone called out. After about an hour we counted up the marks, discussed how calling out disrupts our class and affects other people, and then challenged ourselves to have less marks during the next hour. The rest of the day was a major improvement.

fischerk

Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

tpateacher, what an elegant strategy. By making the class aware of the issue and having a discussion instead of a lecture about why it is a problem, you empower them to be the ones who are identifying and fixing problems around them. That's a very positive role.

I am definitely going to keep that strategy in mind.

kidsrme11

play a game
Old 09-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The kids can take a turn being the teacher and their job is to teach the class something. If everyone in the class learns the assigned objective, the teacher gets "paid". This objective could be a fun game. The payment could mean a homework pass, free time, whatever you chose. Have the teacher go in the hall to 'prepare' as you secretly tell the rest of the class not to listen or to talk to each other. After a short time of teaching, before the "teacher" gets too frustrated, tell the rest of the class that if they all learned what the teacher was teaching, they can choose what to do for the rest of the day. Of course they won't know it, or at least not enough of them. Discuss how it felt and then relate it to what's been happening in your class.

Don't know if it will work, but it's an idea!