Help

The VENT

Advice please?

>

Souxiekue

Advice please?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've got a student in my classroom that I've written about before. Precious, but has some serious learning issues. My belief is he is dyslexic and possibly has tourrette's. I've begged for a conference with his mother since the first month of school. We did meet on week 2, and I expressed some concerns, but it was still early and I wasn't aware of how severe issues are. He's stressed and anxious because he cannot possibly keep up. She keeps cancelling on me when I can actually get her to agree to meet. He also seems to have some sort of asthma issue or something b/c most days after P.E. he comes back to class coughing so violently that he makes himself vomit. I've explained this to her and asked her to at least send cough drops. He's miserable and it's a complete disruption. I'm about to sit down and write YET another request for a conference. How should I word it? I'm drawing a blank as to what to say to not sound angry and pissy. Any advice would be appreciated! I just want this baby's needs addressed.
P.S. We are a small private school without many 'services.' An IEP here is practically impossible to get through the school system.

Souxiekue is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Principal
Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At this point, I would ask my principal to call and set up a meeting for the p., the parent, and you. It sounds like you have documented all the attempts you have made to meet. I think it's very appropriate to ask your principal to step in and help. The vomiting after P.E. is especially concerning to me.
Good luck!
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also teach at a small private school. So here are some things I could see my school doing in this situation.

1 --- If parents pick the child up after school, I would bombard them with a mini-conference in the pick up line. Inconvenient, sure, but they can't cancel when they're literally in front of you.

2 --- Get admin involved. The principal likely has met the family before, and previous teachers probably had the same issues. Get all these people in the loop with you. Maybe if the request comes from admin instead of you, mom will take it more seriously?

3 --- " Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. Whatever, I know that we have been trying to meet for many weeks and have had trouble connecting. I believe that we must make this conference a priority as (child) is falling further behind the curriculum. I have noticed some concerning behaviors that make me believe that this conference is very important. If you have any suggestions for how I can continue to help (child), I am open to hearing them. Please contact me as soon as you can so that we can set a time to meet and discuss (child's) needs. Sincerely, me. (phone number, and times to call)

**I put the part open hearing her suggestions because you are more likely to get her on the phone if she thinks she can tell you how to do something, rather than the other way around. You'll likely get very little useful information in that regard unless mom is a special needs educator. But it might be enough motivation for her to actually call you.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 01-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1 First get the nurse involved. Every day he is coughing and vomiting have her document it. She has the power to ask that the child be medically cleared for PE.

2. Under IDEA your school has to have a way to refer a student for special education testing. Find out what it is and submit the paperwork.

3. You have an obligation to call CPS if there is a possible health issue and the parent has refused to discuss the issue with you. I know in Texas a teacher can either be fined, jailed or lose their certificate if we do not report
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Souxiekue

No nurse...
Old 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We don't have a school nurse. Our county doesn't even usually have them in public schools. Nuts, huh? As far as carline, a grandma picks him up, so I really don't have a chance to bombard mom. I did get the Princ involved today and also got his dad's phone number, so I'm going to involve him as well.
One of his grandma's came and picked him up today and took him to the doctor. Poor baby has bronchitis and she gave me an earful and asked me to call her ANYTIME I need something for him. So that's great!! However, I still need to address his other needs. I sent another note home today requesting that she AND his dad meet with me soon so we can discuss his progress. That way, if I don't hear from her or she doesn't show, perhaps I'll get somewhere with Dad. Thanks everyone for the great advice. Sometimes it gets so frustrating when we can't get parents as involved as we'd like.

SpedinTx - we can refer for SPED testing, but it takes FOREVER and he'd be halfway through next year by the time it happens.

Last edited by Souxiekue; 01-12-2018 at 06:30 AM..

TAOEP

Middle of next year is inevitable
Old 01-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So it's your choice--do you want the middle of next year to come with or without testing? If you believe that he needs services, start the procedure.

The testing may not help you this year, but it will likely help the student.

Also you need to be careful about what information you share with the grandparents. They are not the guardians of the child and you might get in the middle of a family dispute. You might be able to ask the grandparent what the best way is to get in touch with the parents to schedule a conference.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Souxiekue

Taoep
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I understand that about services, but I can't do anything without his parental consent. My hands are tied. I've done all I can do as far as referrals, etc, until a parent chooses to get involved. I didn't know who dad was or have contact info until two days ago.

As for the grandparents, what makes you think I've shared confidential information with them? Grandma took him to the doctor because he was coughing. She knew he was sick because she was the one who was called to pick him up (again) because he was coughing so much.

As I stated above, I HAVE scheduled conferences. Numerous times. She doesn't show.