Help

The VENT

Special ed

>

teach123

Special ed
Old 02-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have a new special teacher for the upper grades. I am a general ed teacher with 8 IEP students and 4 504 plan students. In the past the special ed teacher was responsible for filling out the IEP but now it is on us. We got an email saying it would help preserve her planning time if we could fill out all but the goals. That equals about 8 pages we have to fill out which easily takes all of my planning time is this common in other schools? She doesn't even do lesson plans or grade papers so I don't know why her planning time is more important. We are also having to arrange coverage for our class because she holds meetings at times other than our planning period. If I don't get this off my chest I am going to explode. Two whole planning to fill out her paperwork, two classes I can't teach due to her meetings, and an email today saying I filled it out wrong- I have to use Word not Google docs! There has got to be a better job for me somewhere.

teach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not sure what state you live in, but in Iowa it is not legal for me a gen ed teacher to fill out an IEP. Does your admin know this is happening? I think I would be asking very loudly if this is legal. Good luck!
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 02-27-2018, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No no no, in our state, a gen ed teacher does not fill out or write any part of the IEP. The sped teacher does.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 02-27-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I never heard of such a thing and would be checking with P/AP if s/he is not the person sending out the emails.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-27-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have IEP paperwork...not goals though. And a REED is more involved.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

Ga
Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A gen ed teacher is not allowed to fill out the IEP. Heck, just recently we started giving the gen ed teacher access to read the whole IEP. Before they were just given the accommodation list for each student in their class.
This would be a big no no. I would make sure someone higher up knows you are being told to do this.

However, this may not be the case for your area, but I do write lesson plans, grade papers and assess students. I really do all the things that the gen ed teacher does, plus the special ed side. Occasionally, our admin will let us get a sub just so we can make a dent in all of our paperwork. At times, we do have to schedule meetings at bad times where coverage is needed for gen ed, but I do everything in my power to schedule them in the afternoon. Sometimes though, an emergency comes up and it is unavoidable but to schedule a meeting at a bad time. I try to never take a teacher's planning time.
Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

What you could do is...
Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Make a list of the things you are mandated to do and an approximate time in takes to do them.

Such as: Grade papers...1.5 hours per week. Enter grades in program 1.0 hrs. per week. Write lesson plans..6.0 hours per week. Duplicate papers, assemble portfolios, contact parents, track data, yada, yada, yada. Total up the hours of work already required of you against the number of hours of planning time you are given to do all of the above. Point out that your duties already extend into your own personal time.

Then ask which of those things you can stop doing in order to do the IEPS. Or which of these things some other staff member will have to do in order for you to do the IEPS.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

The IEP
Old 02-27-2018, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow, you have to fill out the IEP?? I'm not sure how you would do that when you may not have all of the data. That is odd to me. I know that we ask teachers for input and any data they have that may help us develop the IEP but never to write it. That is my job.

Just crazy as I have to still create lesson plans, grade papers, progress monitor, co-teach, and write IEPs and I'm the sped teacher! What makes her more special than anyone else? I would ask the special ed director why this is happening as it doesn't seem legal to me. There are laws involving sped that you may not be aware of but may be held liable to upholding. Talk with the director soon.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

teach123

Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for the advice. I thought it was not legal but she seemed fine passing it off to us. I will certainly talk to the principal about it tomorrow. I have a lot of respect for sped teachers but she is not pulling her weight. We do inclusion and share lesson plans on Google drive yet she routinely comes to class 15 - 30 minutes after she is supposed to be in the room and will want to discuss what we need to do today. Hmmmm, sorry we have finished 1/2 the class. I know things come up but our school has several teachers that talk a good game but don't do squat. We had one that never assessed her first graders reading level all year. Second grade was quite ticked to say the least. Part of the problem is admin letting them get away with it. If the iep says you get 1 hour of colab everyday you can't choose when you show up to teach. We have the same problem with math. I will ask the math sped teacher to do a rotation and she will show up 30 minutes late. That group is either wasting time goofing off or I have to plan something anyway because she is never on time. Sorry it has turned into a ramble but I am about to explode at work! I know a lot of sped teachers have more work than regular ed but at my school the sped show up late and leave right on time each day - usually empty handed thanks for letting me vent

DeDee76

I teach SPED
Old 02-27-2018, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am not sure what you are supposed to be filling in on the IEP's. I am responsible for the paperwork myself. I think there is a lack of communication at your school. I value the Gen Ed teachers at my school. However, they have no clue what is involved in the mountains of "paperwork" the federal law requires along with all the data we have to collect and document for funding. I agree that you probably shouldn't be doing the IEP stuff. As far as scheduling meetings at inconvient times. . . Please realize we are scheduling around parents, administration, related service, etc. As far as lesson plans go we aren't just creating 1 plan. We are creating Individualized plans, differentiated for every kid in our classes. I am sorry you are frustrated. I hope things get better.

DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

DeDee76

One more question
Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

How many kids are you working with? IEPs are only once a year. Are you working on them that much?
DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Wow.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Nope, not here either. Our SpEd system doesn't even have a view access for gen ed teachers, let alone an edit feature. We complete them [and then give a full copy to the Gen Ed teachers after the meeting.] For the parts we fill out together, it is on me to interview them or have them fill out a short 1-page summary...

Is she handing out blank IEP packets and asking for it handwritten?

And if we can't schedule for a teacher plan time, WE need to find coverage for the gen ed teacher's attendance...

It sounds like this gal is taking advantage of the general ed teachers. For one, my Director would not put up with that.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 02-28-2018, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would dance a jig if my IEP's were only eight pages. My IEP's are anywhere from 50 to 80 pages per student
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
SPEDHere

SPEDHere

Are you serious...
Old 02-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I can't help but wonder if I'm misunderstanding. Is the SPED teacher actually asking you to write actual IEPs? How do you even know what to write? I'm a SPED teacher, and it took me a while to learn to write an IEP! I can't imagine just telling the gen. ed. teachers, "Here, you write it." They are very smart and educated, but they aren't SPED. They wouldn't have a clue where to begin. That's my specialty. My IEPs are generally 30 pages long, and I just can't imagine any SPED teacher handing that off to gen. ed. It's our job.

spedder1

Planning time?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Writing IEPs is a part of planning time. General ed teachers should not be filling out IEPs. I would tell her that your planning period is for writing lesson plans and getting materials prepared for your entire class. What is she doing during her planning time. I'd get whoever the special ed administrator is involved.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach123

Update
Old 02-28-2018, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I mentioned it to the asst. principal today. Her face was priceless. She had never heard of that either but was going to check with the principal when she got back this afternoon. I never heard back but she probably hasn't had a chance to fill her in. Just to clarify, our entire IEP is about 28 pages long, excluding gen. ed documentation forms. We are being asked to type in about 8 pages worth of info on the IEP and then the Sped teacher fills in the rest at the meeting. So, yes, we are given a blank IEP and expected to open it in Word and then type the information for that child. We are then to email it back to the teacher. I am also not sure if it is legal to email a confidential document????? I am kind of resentful because I don't feel that it is my job to do the paperwork part and I do feel that we are being taken advantage of. I can see giving any information I have but I don't have access to previous years' concerns, developmental delay information, etc. I have not been trained in writing an IEP and I don't think it will sound good if you have 3 different people writing it. We only meet once a year but our county decided all IEPs will be done before Spring Break so from Jan. to March it is extremely busy for meetings. 2 meetings down, 6 more to go next month. I also was not trying to knock Sped teachers, I am just speaking from this experience. I know Sped is a tremendous amount of work and they are supposed to be doing lesson plans but they will tell you they never do them. Thanks for all the information shared. I am glad this not the norm at other schools.

newspedteach

Pretty sure there is a misunderstanding
Old 02-28-2018, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Couldn't be the whole IEP. I've never heard of an IEP with only 8 pages .

I missed the part about the 8 pages the first time I read this, even though I thought there must be a misunderstanding .
Quote:
I would dance a jig if my IEP's were only eight pages.

There are lots of pages in an IEP (lots of redundancy too-my goodness on the 50-80 pages, I can't imagine!! )

So I'm thinking that she's asking you to fill out some parts that special ed. teachers/staff would normally fill out with gen. ed. input, like present levels of performance (I don't ask for this, as I am the one who works with the students on their IEP goals), the gen. ed. teacher report (which every gen. ed. teacher has to write-it's a very brief narrative in my district) and maybe she's trying to get you to fill out the testing section or accommodations, etc.? No way is it the entire IEP.

Regardless, I can't imagine telling the gen. ed. teachers to "write an IEP". How would they even know what to write? Also, it is our job and we are trained and experienced and it still takes an experienced sped teacher hours to write an IEP.

I send out an email to the gen. ed. teacher at least two weeks before an IEP is due, asking for a brief narrative describing the child's behavior, effort, etc. in class and when (if) I get the response, I copy/paste it in the gen. ed. teacher report section. I gather all the data, district test scores, etc. myself. A gen. ed. teacher in my district does not have access to IOL (IEP online).

OP, you need to clarify with the special ed. teacher and ask your principal and maybe the special ed. director about what your part actually entails. Good luck!
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

ok
Old 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
In the past the special ed teacher was responsible for filling out the IEP but now it is on us.
It sounded like from your first post that you didn't know what an IEP consisted of. This is different from what you just said.

None of us are sure what those 8 pages contain, so it's hard for us (in different states) to say whether or not this is outlandish. There may be pages with boxes to check, for example. Personally, I would not want someone with no experience writing an IEP to 'mess' with it, so I would only ask you for the parts you are legally responsible for (and you are legally responsible to give input, but it's usually not a huge deal).

As far as emailing IEPs-totally ok and happens all the time. We also have several professionals writing THEIR individual parts of the IEP (SLP, OT, etc.) so that's ok too. We don't mess with each other's portions of the IEP . The special ed. teacher is usually the case manager and will make sure all parts are in, etc.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 02-28-2018, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

As a regular ed teacher, I fill out classroom assessment forms (4 pages for an Initial or Re-Eval and 2 pages for an Annual Review) where I document the child's classroom performance and behavior, as well as any concerns I may have. It only takes 20-30 min since much of it is checklists. The sped team chairperson or the sped teacher writes the actual IEP. I don't know how many pages it is, but it's usually quite a thick document.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I am having to take more and more
Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

responsibility for my IEP students. They have been mainstreamed whether they were ready or not, and then the SPED teacher doesn't even see them. They work with interventionists (not the SPED teacher) twice a day for 30 minutes (once for math, once for ELA), four days each week. Their IEP goals are worded so that I am responsible for tracking them. I get handed forms to fill out (at least two pages per kid) where I have to fill out how they are doing on their goals, what their overall classroom performance is, and what I think is needed for improvement. Then the SPED teacher writes her report based on my work, and writes IEPs without any other input from me, and then sits in student study meetings where I hear my words coming back at me with her seeming as if she works with and knows the child well when talking to the parents. I just spent four days of planning time filling out those forms. You have my sympathies.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 03-02-2018, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

We fill out a questionnaire for the SPED teacher. They do the rest for the IEP. Legally, I can't even get on the state IEP site. They also get us subs for case conferences. Meeting are not held during our planning period. At our school, all case conferences are held on the same day each week and we have a traveling sub who covers classes for teachers on that day.

I had a SPED teacher in a building I was in once that behaved as you have described. She only lasted a year and was run out. I ended up doing her work over the summer so that data was ready for one of my students for the following year.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmy

Old 03-03-2018, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

This is not legal. I know how time consuming IEPs are to fill out. In truth, our SPED teacher is on the computer all day just doing the paperwork. The aide does most of the teaching.

I have always tried to be helpful to all special teachers, SPED, music, PE, etc.

If you have 12 kids that you have to paperwork for, you canít do it by yourself.

I would talk to the Principal and explain that you are concerned about the legality of this. Donít make it about her so it doesnít come across as complaining.

If he still makes you do it, Iíd gather up the materials youíd need. Files, pens, records, and a good friend to help you and then you only have 6 ea. to do.

We have to fill some forms when we refer a student to SPED.

Doesnít it seem that most times the teacher is the least important person in the school?

I know my suggestion is about worthless...but what can you do if the principal has sanctioned it.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie17

Never Heard of This
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I've never heard of anything like this! I'm a resource/coteacher and I handle all of my own paperwork. The only thing I have my gen ed teachers do is fill out classroom based assessments, which is where they give their input. I do give them one other form for behavioral input when we do a referral or re-eval. If they have to do both it would take less than 10 minutes. They don't have access to my IEP program, and even if they did, they wouldn't know what do with because they don't have the training. I'm shocked that your sped teacher is asking you to do all of this. Keep us posted on what your P says about it because this sounds really fishy to me.

Also, I'm not sure what your sped teacher is doing with her time but I do everything gen ed teachers, plus my sped stuff. I do lesson plans, grade papers, do report cards, sped progress reports, data collection, collaboration with my coteacher, and also the conference paperwork. What on earth is yours doing during her planning time if not that stuff? I'd really like to know because I know if wasn't doing those things my planning time would be more of a break. As far as my meetings go, they are planned during the gen ed planning time (which for half of my teachers matches up with mine) and also recess (for the teachers whose planning doesn't match mine). I try to get the gen ed input and signatures in as quickly as possible so I can let them go and have has much of their planning time/recess break time as possible.
newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote