Help

The VENT

Sad

>

Shell

Sad
Old 08-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My teammate informed me today that she and my other teammate met multiple times this summer and planned. I asked why I wasn't invited and she said she thought I was too busy.

Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That would make me sad too ((hugs)).

I would let them know how important it is for you for your team to be cohesive and make sure they have you cell number and let them know to text you anytime they are meeting so that you can contribute the team.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry, that would make me sad, too. I hope you let her know that you'd love to be invited in the future, and I agree with making sure they have your number. I hope you have a good year with your teammates.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Stevejay

Stevejay

The Bright Side
Old 08-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Look at the bright side of life. Since you didn't know about them planning together, you didn't have to spend a large part of your summer working on that dull stuff. You spent your time doing something else. Don't worry, there will be plenty of time to plan with them in the future.

DSLBUG

Old 08-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Iím sorry they were so rude!

DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They have my number. It's just the way they work. It started last year. Lots of drama. I just didn't think they would be so obvious about it. We don't see eye to eye and it gets worse every year. Last year was basically the last straw as they badmouthed my admin every chance they got. I really like my admin and they don't. Oh well...
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wouldn't like that at all. My team is very important to me. I would let them know you would like to be included.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'd send an e-mail letting them know that in the future you would like to be included in the meetings. I would blind copy admin.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 08-07-2018, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm sorry they did that. I'm in the same boat you are. One of my teammates told the new principal that we ALL plan together and THEN invited me after years of never inviting me. I declined. The bright side for me is that I can do my own thing and don't have to waste my time with lessons I may not like so much.

I wish adults were as kind to each other as we expect kids to be.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 08-07-2018, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sounds like it's a group you don't need/want to be a part of. Good for you! I agree with Stevejay--you enjoyed your free time while they planned. No thank you to working over the summer planning the upcoming school year. I hope you just do your own thing then in the classroom and leave them to their own games.

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

Planning
Old 08-07-2018, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I understand ... I tried to plan with and then was left out too... so I did my own thing and when that went well I am pretty sure they complained about me..

Last edited by elmo33; 08-07-2018 at 05:55 AM..
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ali'a

Sometimes you have to do your own thing
Old 08-07-2018, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have been on teams that worked well together and it was fun and fulfilling. Now I am on my own due to backstabbing and trying to "one up" all the time.

I do my own thing. Not as fun, but I can still do it and do my job well. You may have to reconcile to doing that too.
Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was in a similar situation a few years back. It's just awful how mean some adults can be.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

KBTeacher

Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Like prior posts said - now you have the freedom to implement your own lesson plans. Personally, Iím ok with planning with others, but I find itís easier to implement lessons Iíve come up with myself. Also, you mentioned they donít care for admin either and then your teammate informs you about summer planning without you? Sounds to me like they have trouble working with others in general, not just you. It also shows that they donít care about othersí feelings. Otherwise, why would she go out of her way to let you know they met without you after the fact. Sounds very juvenile on their part. I know itís easier said than done, but let it go and focus on having an awesome year.
KBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-07-2018, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I can't imagine how it must feel to be one of your teammates who met without you. Did they feel some pleasure knowing they "got you" for planning without you? Was it fun knowing they would be in control of the curriculum and you wouldn't have input? When they look you in the eyes this fall do they have a sense of superiority knowing they "put you in your place"? How can people be so hurtful?

My therapist friend says that one of the most hurtful human experiences is being left out. It's a common passive aggressive tactic because then people don't have to confront you but can still hurt you. You're left to figure out what happened and why it happened. If you confront the passive aggressive person they can easily invent a reason that you were left out. "We thought you were busy. We thought you would not have been interested. You're overly sensitive and unreasonable." You may call BS but they will deny their intent.

I suggest that you send the group and email. Sweetly thank them for all the work you know the did this summer without you. Clearly state that, as a professional, you request that you be included for all future planning sessions. It best for your students that you all know what the plans will be and that everyone has input.* Tell them you are eager to do your part and your share of the work. Then, include the P in your email this:
1) that you were intentionally left out.
2) that you want to do your share of the planning.
3) that you have the best interest of the students in mind.
4) that you want to work and do your share.

My heart breaks for you, Shell. How do people intentionally inflict such pain? Kill them with kindness, set boundaries to protect yourself, find outside friends to support you and then forgive them. I'm sorry for your pain.

Last edited by Renea; 08-07-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 08-07-2018, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am sorry!

My teammates wouldn't talk to me last year. It was such a messed up school. I was totally on my own. It bothered me but at the same time I was able to avoid their drama and gossip this way. Just remember their actions are more a reflection of them and not you. Do your best with them and just let it be. If possible go to another school next year.
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

If I were in the OP's position, I would consider myself having been given free rein to do whatever I want to in my classroom. You guys decided to plan without me? That tells me that you aren't concerned with what I'll choose to do in my classroom with my students.

If it's in writing, I'd screenshot it and print it.

I have two colleagues who dislike a unit that I still teach. It's a wonderful unit and even though it's slightly outdated (mid 90s), it helps the students out tremendously. Plus, it's cheesy and the students love that.
Did I mention my colleagues stopped teaching that unit because it requires a lot of work on the teacher's part?
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I hate that dynamic of three people
Old 08-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We had five people at the grade level last year, but I would only consider myself to be close to two of the others. The two would often plan things together like grants, presentations etc., things which I would have gladly participated in and given my contributions had I known about them. For them not to include you is hurtful, even if it was unintended.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I coming from a district where the administration wants us to "be on the same page" - teaching the same things in the same teaching style. . . they are fearful that one classroom will get more instruction than another on certain concepts and skills . . . they want every student in a grade level to get the very same . . . ?????? The above is a debate all on its own. :-)

If I would have been in your shoes, I would have been a little angry. Then I would blow it off as I enjoyed the rest of my summer vacation. Repeat "summer vacation" = "summer break."

Not only to exclude a team member (me) from giving input and thoughts in decisions for my grade level, they would have disrespected my summer break.

The days off during summer are just that, days off. The contract I signed has the number of contact days with students and additional number of days assigned as development days or work days.

If one volunteers their personal time, that's their choice.

But if working in a "team" and the work will affect everyone's classroom on the "team" for the coming school year - than this work can wait for the development days that are on contract before school starts and this work can be done throughout the year during those required collaborative meetings.

I don't like to be "expected" to work for FREE. I value my skills, my experience, and my time.

I am guessing it is either a "power play" of a few members of the "team" who want "control" of everyone's classroom or the few individuals that don't have a clue what to do and need constant pats on the back assuring them that every thing they are doing and thinking is "just wonderful" and they need to be told daily that others believe in them. Who knows?

I guess I have always wondered why teachers can become our own worst enemies in terms of respecting each other's personal time, respecting what each of us can bring to the table, and in the end, our professions.

I guess "Shell" I am sad that this crap is happening to you.

Last edited by Mugs; 08-10-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote