Help

The VENT

Banging my head against the wall...

>

Teacherbee_4

Banging my head against the wall...
Old 09-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I did a two part math lesson yesterday and today. Yesterday, they explored a concept with models and worked to model what they were doing. Today, they used those models to discover the algorithm for themselves. Once they did that, we talked more about the algorithm and how it's related to the models. Today when they did some practice problems, I said they could use either method. We did 3-4 practice problems, talked about them, I monitored, we discussed them, etc.

Flashforward to work time when I gave them some problems in the book to practice on their own. Not one, but two kids called me over. When I got there, one said she wanted to show me how her dad showed her last night. The other said she wanted to show me how last year's teacher taught them. As they are showing me, it's IDENTICAL to what we were doing when we did practice problems...IDENTICAL. So, like, where were these students who were in class, doing the practice problems, listening as we were going over them, etc. to think that the method we learned was so different than last year's or what her dad taught her? IT WAS IDENTICAL! Banging my head against the wall.

Then, not one, not two, but three kids called me over and asked me how to do the problems on the page I assigned. I explained it was the practice problems we just did. The problems they just did! The problems they just did on a whiteboard on their own and and got right. All 3 told me they were confused and nothing on the page looked familiar. It was literally 10 questions of practice problems in the same format (different numbers) that we did in class. All 3 were confused and said we never learned that. WTH?!?!? WHERE WERE THAT WHOLE TIME? They were actually doing the practice problems correctly on their whiteboard that whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH? Banging my head against the wall, it's going to be a LOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG year.

And to think that is not even an issue compared to all of the other issues that went one today. Principal had to 4 separate issues...all in my classroom....lovely. He told me today he's putting me up for cannonization

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping the students if they are stuck, but the fact that these kids acted like they never saw we what did when we spent the class working through the activity and doing practice problems is beyond me.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

azteach88

Do we have the same class?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't mind helping either, but I'm so tired of the scenario you just explained.
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

My kids
Old 09-14-2018, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

my own kids at home do this when I help them with homework... i will have to use my strong voice and say I am taking my time to help you- Pay Attention! Then they stubborn because they donít feel like they should be told... I say I can correct them!
Do you think itís because teachers have to be so understanding that the kids donít feel pressure to pay attention?
I remember being scared at school to be caught not following along...
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

a little TLC
Old 09-14-2018, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You can act annoyed or see this as an opportunity to find out more. Sometimes, there are students that will pretend that they don't get it just so they get a little one on one with you, that's all. And then once you have an idea where they might get "stuck", go back and re-assess them so they know that you're listening to them and that they're being paid attention to. If there's at least five people asking the same question, then you know that something is missing. You're right, it could be a listening thing which may also mean that you might want to move students that failed to listen somewhere around the room where they can get to pay attention better. Using some kind of an exit slip before a class can help you find out if they really had paid attention not for grading necessarily.

kahluablast

Old 09-14-2018, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wanted to sympathize with you yesterday when I read this, but I was too tired to respond. My class this year is going to drive me crazy, too. They can't read directions, they can't follow directions. I taught a lesson yesterday in small groups in math, and when they were working it, they all did them the wrong way. They did it the way they wanted to, not the way I taught them. They didn't follow the example in the book. It is a precursor to the next step.

I am still trying to decide whether I keep them in an have them re-do it during recess, or I waste my precious math time redoing it.

I want to do recess, but it is my planning time and I don't have things ready for next week.

They aren't thinkers. But they think they are.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

aliryan

Old 09-14-2018, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I find many kids want to be spoonfed everything. They don't have the persistence and ability to think for themselves. Ot they are too lazy to think for themselves.
It is very frustrating I know. But keep at it, they need you to.
aliryan is offline   Reply With Quote