Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

writing booklets vs one sheet of paper

>

dusty

writing booklets vs one sheet of paper
Old 01-30-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can anyone explain the reason behind first graders writing across multiple pages (ex; lucy calkins) instead of writing on one piece of paper (front and back)? Is it so that it is so overwhelming for young children? I like the idea of writing booklets for personal narratives with page 1 being the beginning, pages 2, 3, and 4 being the middle events, and page 5 being the ending, but it also hard to give up that much paper since copy paper is at a premium at my school. What do most lower grade teachers use for writing paper during personal narrative writing?
thanks

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

writing
Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand the issue around paper shortage, including the environmental impact of all that paper. That being said...my students did much better with booklets rather than single sheets. They had an easier time planning beginning, middle, end. They also were more easily able to remember their plan because after they practiced the narrative on their fingers they sketched across the pages. They were also able to retell their stories to practice with a partner before they began writing.

I used a "sketchbox" at the top of the page and then lines below. I made my paper either in portrait with many writing lines or landscape with fewer lines depending on the needs of my students. There were plenty of times I had a variety of booklets available so kids could pick what best fit the needs of what they wanted to write.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Writing paper
Old 01-31-2019, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always gave my kids lots of paper choices...a few lines with a big square for drawing, lots of lines and small squares, etc. In fact, if you have call the Lucy Caulkins books, they come with a CD with paper templates.

I made blanks books.

I taught them how to make books and how to staple.

My understanding for writing on one side of the paper was if they needed to cut and paste,,they wouldn’t lose anything.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I do the same as bgteacher
Old 02-01-2019, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use the workshop model, and I love the booklets. I found not using the backs increases their volume. I also found that letting them add flaps to the bottoms of the pages made them generate even more text. I teach first.

We started opinion writing, and it helps to organize their thinking. First page is their opinion, the next page is a reason, next 2 pages have two more reasons, and on the last page they restate their opinion and give a call for action.

It’s amazing how writing for first graders has blossomed over the years!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote