What do you do with your dogs when you are gone? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What do you do with your dogs when you are gone?

>

Ima Spedtcher

What do you do with your dogs when you are gone?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Previous post got me wondering about dogs and what is perceived as cruel.

Quote:
Maybe this is regional, but around here (MA), it would NEVER be acceptable to chain your dog outside while you are at work. Dogs stay inside here and just go out to play/walk/potty- usually with an owner.
Maybe it IS regional, I think my dogs would think that kind of lifestyle was abusive. I would rather have my dogs on a run all day while I am at work than locked in the house with no access to the outside.

We have a fenced yard that my little dog can somehow sneak out of, Iím tempted to put cameras in the yard to figure out how she does it. So, when we are home my dogs have free access to the yard and the house (we just leave the slider open all day). If we leave the house for a few hours my big dog is put in the yard, and little dog is put in her crate. If we are gone for a full day my big dog is in the yard and little one is in a kennel in the yard that previous owners had built. I canít imagine leaving my dogs in the house all day with no access to the outside.

What does everyone else do with their dogs when you are gone for more than a few hours?

BTW Lots of people in my area also have dogs that live outside and have never even stepped foot in a house, but are loved and well taken care of.

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Mine are inside and it’s part of our adoption agreement that you don’t chain the dogs up outside.

I do know many people who have a doggie door. I don’t do that because:
1) any doggie door big enough for Mason would also be big enough for a human to get in
2) I’d absolutely never see Molly. She’s be in and out of that thing day and night. LoL
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Never would I leave my dog outside while I went to work!

Now some people, our neighbors, have an outside dog. He has full run of the fenced yard, shard, water, etc.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
any doggie door big enough for Mason would also be big enough for a human to get in
My DH talked about a doggie door for our dogs until he realized that a doggie door big enough for my dog was exactly what we had, a door.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 08-17-2019, 12:50 PM

My DH built a building for our 3 dogs shortly after we moved here. We call the building “The Bunk House.” It’s got electricity, ceiling fans, running water, and heat. It has a roofed porch area with a ceiling fan and an adjoining play yard. She can go in and out of the “Bunk House” via a doggy door in the human door. Completely fenced. People think it’s a guest house. When we go out for the day that is where our (now one) dog hangs out. Otherwise, she is where we are- inside or in the yard.

ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

It depends on the weather.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:52 PM

We have a big yard with a six foot privacy fence. If the temp outside is between 40 and 80 degrees, we often leave him outside with plenty of water. He also has a doghouse out there with a dog bed in it. If itís rainy, too cold or too hot, he has to stay in the hallway and bathroom. We put a baby gate at the end of the hall to keep him in there. Otherwise, he tears things up and sometimes has accidents.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Ginger goes into her hidey hole if we are out for the day. Its actually a clothes closet but with her blanket & radio on its her place to hang. Otherwise she has free range of the house. There is no fenced yard so she isn't left outside by herself.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 08-17-2019, 01:16 PM

Mine goes to day care three days a week and the other two days he’s inside. This suits him fine as he is very tired from a full day running at the daycare which is outside.
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 08-17-2019, 01:24 PM

our dogs are all inside. if we are gone more than three ours my stepdaughter or a dogsitter come over.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Dogs
Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 PM

When the weather is between 50-80 degrees, my dogs are in their outside kennel. When it below 40 or above 80, they are inside. They sleep all day. Theyíre senior dogs, too. When outside in the winter, I have heat disks to keep them warm. In warmer weather, I have a baby pool with water. Rain doesnít matter. Their kennel keeps them dry.

arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-17-2019, 01:32 PM

My dog is never outside alone. He would get eaten by the coyotes. When Iím gone he stays in the house.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-17-2019, 01:52 PM

My dogs have always stayed inside. If we are gone a long time, we have a dog walker. No one in my area leaves their dog outside when they are out.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

dog
Old 08-17-2019, 01:54 PM

My dog stays inside while we're gone. When I'm at school, she's spoiled and has a dog walker that comes and brings her out for her daily jaunt.
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Where's my dog?
Old 08-17-2019, 01:57 PM

Inside on the sofa or in her crate whenever I leave the house. That is also where she spends most of her time when I'm home, like right now. My back yard is enclosed with a sturdy six foot fence and lockable gate (same as at my mountain cabin) but I feel she is safer inside. We do go on fairly long daily walks so she gets plenty of exercise and socialization.

PS. Most Dobermans are very easy to housebreak so that has never been a problem!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I live in a condo...
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM

So for me, it is part of the development's rules not to leave them outside unattended. I do have a coil that I attach her leash to when I am with her and she enjoys laying outside while I read when the weather is nice. Otherwise, she is inside.

I had friends when I first started teaching who had three dogs who lived outside in a sheltered, heated building they built for them with dog runs. They were primarily hunting dogs, and had the run of the property outside during the day when the family was home. At night, they slept in that building where their runs were.

Different strokes for different folks.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 08-17-2019, 02:00 PM

We have a dog door into the back yard. When we are at work she has access to the yard and house. She spends most of the day inside and will go out to do her business or nap in the sun.

Growing up, my parents had dogs that were outside only. They had dog houses and lots of places to rest, plenty of water, etc. When the weather got super hot or cold/rainy, they had access to the garage. Daisy is the first dog they've allowed to be part of the household.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Dogs
Old 08-17-2019, 02:00 PM

My lab is a spoiled lap baby
In Arkansas it gets hot, right now close to 100. He only goes out to potty, stays inside while Iím gone. He has free roam of the house, and behaves while Iím gone.
We try to play / exercise early in the morning or late in the evening.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 08-17-2019, 02:52 PM

During decent weather (not too hot or cold) our dogs stay outside when we are gone. We have a shaded yard with a privacy fence. We also have a covered deck with a lounger just for the dogs. We leave them with plenty of food and fresh water.
They love being outside so they can chase their mortal enemiesóthe squirrels.

When itís too hot or cold, they are inside on the couch.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-17-2019, 03:03 PM

I think there's also a difference between a dog left outside (with water and access to shelter) and a dog chained up. With a dog on a chain, or any kind of tether, unsupervised I'd worry about strangulation if he got caught on something, or even just wrapped up so tightly around whatever the tether was attached to that he couldn't move around, reach his water, etc. I think lots of places have ordinances against chaining dogs up alone.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-17-2019, 03:58 PM

If you take into account the heats index, today was a delightful 126įF. My dogs stay inside if I am not home and I have a smart thermostat so that I know the temperature inside the house should the A/C go out. Besides that, I am a firm believer that dogs are pack animals and we are their pack. Why have a dog if youíre just going to leave it chained up outside all day?
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-17-2019, 05:08 PM

Our 2 are inside dogs. DH is retired so for the most part able to let them in and out and walk them during the day. If we are both going to be gone for more than 4 hours we arrange for someone to come and let them out for a little while, then back in.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-17-2019, 05:58 PM

Back when I had my strictly indoor dog, I had him sectioned off in a little area AND my bathroom of my apt w/ his comfy bed, blanket, & toys. He also had access to a bathroom area on my hard bathroom floor.

Then when I was still living with my parents, they were retired, so my dog had free reign of the whole house since they were home.

Now for those who have mostly outdoor dogs, as long as they can't get loose (out of the backyard) & have access to water and shade, then that's fine too.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Dogs
Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Our dog has a doggy door that allows access to the "dog run" on the side of the house and inside the house itself. All of her food is inside our laundry room. We've never been gone for a really long period, but if we're out of town a couple of nights my SIL will come over to check on her.

We do shut all of our bedroom doors to keep her contained to the hallway and main living area where her bed is.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 08-17-2019, 06:22 PM

I always go outside with my dog because he's small and I don't want anything to happen to him.

When, I'm out, he stays inside his pen. It has his bed, water, and toys. When I've been out and my husband has been home, he has observed him looking for me and going up flights of stairs...just stressing himself out. So, that is why he is penned when neither of us are home. We make an effort to never leave him alone for too long. If we did have to, we'd have to hire someone to take him out for a bit.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Ours have the run of the house when we are gone. The doggie door is only open when we are home. They love it.

All of the big dogs Iíve had (husky, Akita, German Shepherd) weíre outside dogs. They loved being outside more than inside. They werenít chained, though. Fenced yard.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-18-2019, 04:22 AM

Our dogs are inside when we are away. When we are home I will let them out, but right after they do their business, they are right at the door wanting to come in. Even if I am outside on the deck, they will just lay on the deck and sleep.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 AM

I would never leave my dog outside. I live where we have rattlesnakes, bobcats, coyotes, etc. She is an inside dog. When we go somewhere, she is crated. She feels secure there and I know she's safe. My husband and I are both retired, so we are around most of the time. She is usually glued to my side. 😁
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 AM

We always had indoor dogs and if we traveled we took them with us or had them stay with Grandma or at a kennel business. When we went to work our dogs stayed inside and we let them out when we got home.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 08-19-2019, 11:42 PM

We have a fenced back yard, but our dog is not outside unless we're home to hear barking, etc.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote