Teachers' Lounge

Cereal...

>

Sprite

Cereal...
Old 08-30-2019, 08:24 PM

Do you like cold cereal? What flavors?

Do you like hot cereal ? What flavors ?

Is cereal a part of your morning breakfast?

Last edited by Sprite; 08-31-2019 at 06:24 AM..
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Cereal
Old 08-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Interestingly, I like to eat cold cereal in the summer. I tend to eat frosted mini wheats, grape nuts, or frosted flakes. During the rest of the year I like to eat regular oatmeal or cream of wheat.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-30-2019, 08:41 PM

I love all cereal. We have a good 10 different ones here right now.

Do you hot cereal ? What flavors ?
I like oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits, and cream of rice. I like oatmeal with brown sugar and butter. I like rice and wheat with butter and sugar. I like grits with salt, pepper, and butter. Iíll eat cheese in them, but not typically.

I rarely eat it for breakfast. I eat it more for lunch, snack, or even supper.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-30-2019, 08:57 PM

I am very picky about cold cereal. The only one I like is honey bunches of oats with strawberries. It tends to be expensive so I stock up when itís on sale. Iím down to my last box and the price today was $5.68 so Iíll do without until another sale.

I like oatmeal but only when the weather is cool. I make it in my rice cooker and add a splash of milk and a sprinkle of brown sugar.

If neither of these choices work I skip breakfast and have coffee.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 08-30-2019, 10:15 PM

I do like cereal but have never been a big cereal eater, not even as a kid.

I liked Kashi Heart to Heart Cinnamon but I can’t find it anymore. I think they stopped making it. My fav cold cereal is Rice Chex when I have cereal for breakfast. I limit it to a cup of Chex with 1/4 cup milk.

I love McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal, especially in the winter. I top it with roasted pecans, hot milk, and a sprinkle of brown sugar.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 08-31-2019, 04:20 AM

I used to enjoy cereal for breakfast until I discovered it doesnít stick with me very long and I got hungry before lunch. I eat it occasionally now on weekends. I fact, Iím having oatmeal for breakfast today. Iíll be hungry in an hour, Iím sure!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Cereal
Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM

Cold - just recently tried Cheerios Oat Crunch Cinnamon - and I'm hooked!

Hot - any of them - but stick to plain oatmeal with fresh blueberries to help with my cholesterol.

Hot in the morning, but cold at night when I don't feel like cooking.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-31-2019, 05:51 AM

I eat cereal for breakfast 6 days a week, almost always Great Grains. I love the one with dated, raisins, and pecans. Depending on the season, I may add fresh berries. My favorites are blueberries and raspberries.

I also like oatmeal, the regular kind, never instant. HATE cream of wheat.

Sundays are for eggs.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 08-31-2019, 05:54 AM

I rarely eat cold cereal, but when I do, I have Kashi Cinnamon Harvest Organic Whole Wheat Biscuits Really good cereal!

I do eat oatmeal made with only water, not adding anything else, once in awhile

Cereal in not a daily morning breakfast for me. I usually have fruit or yogurt.

Added-I love cream of wheat, especially in the winter time

Last edited by LazyLake; 08-31-2019 at 07:41 AM..
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Hot or cold
Old 08-31-2019, 06:34 AM

I like plain cereals like Rice Chex, Cheerios or Raisin Bran.

I like Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal, and Grits, all prepared the same way with butter, salt and pepper.

During the school year, oatmeal is my go-to breakfast. Not quick oats, but old-fashioned rolled oats. The quick cooking type has no texture, is too gluey, and tastes like cardboard. I add extra oats to the recipe, typically 2/3 cup of oats to 1 cup of water. If I'm in a hurry, I spoon it all into a cup take it to go.

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 08-31-2019, 06:35 AM

I do like cold cereal. I think I like cold cereal more than hot cereal. I like to buy the multi flavor-packs from costco or walmart. My favorite cereal of all time is frosted flakes BUT lately I have been in a frosted mini-wheat craze. I've been having a bowl everyday. I don't know why but they are hitting the spot.

When I took nutrition in college the professor told everyone that cereal is a great breakfast to have because it is fortified with vitamins. She said that it's something good to have especially if you get one that is low in sugar. I don't know how accurate this information would be at this point in time but I've always thought about that.

Do you like hot cereal ? What flavors ?

Yes, I like oatmeal. I like to make it with milk. I like to have oatmeal in the fall/winter. A hot breakfast is really nice on cold mornings. I am looking forward to the Fall.

Sometimes, I come and go with cereal. Sometimes I am in a cereal phase and sometimes I will have something else. I really like eggs too.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-31-2019, 06:51 AM

I love the Costco pumpkin seed with flax cereal. I have it sometimes on a weekend. Oatmeal is ok and cream of wheat. I rarely eat those.

I rarely eat breakfast, and only eat cereal once in a while.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 08-31-2019, 08:26 AM

My favorite hot cereal is oatmeal. I prefer old fashioned oats with milk and sugar. On rare occasions I like to have apple cinnamon instant oatmeal. When I was a child my mother used to make hot rice cereal-- rice, milk and sugar.

I like to eat cereal for breakfast on lazy days or days that I am alone. I like almost any cold cereal. I usually choose Special k with strawberries, or Raisin Bran. I enjoy sweet cereals as a treat at night once in a while.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dellminiwhite

Cereal
Old 08-31-2019, 09:07 AM

I love cereal...
I eat Special K and also a healthy granola cereal.
I use to eat a lot of oatmeal, and need to start eating again.
I usually do eat cereal in the morning, at least five times a week. When I was teaching I also had cereal for lunch. I ate with my Kinders, and they would think it was a cool lunch.
dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

breezybeez

Mmmm, cereal!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:25 AM

I love cold cereal, but eat it more as a snack. It doesn't seem to stay with me very long if I eat it for breakfast, no matter what kind I eat. My current favorite is Froot Loops with marshmallows, this is this the only marshmallow cereal I will eat. On the healthier side, I like Raisin Bran Crunch (even though I don't much care for raisins) and frosted shredded wheat, regular or strawberry flavor.

I am a big fan of oatmeal, but I don't eat the pre-flavored variety packs. I like to add cinnamon and brown sugar, or fresh fruit with a little sugar or honey to sweeten. Peanut butter is also good mixed in. I like this more for breakfast and tends to stick with me longer.
breezybeez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-31-2019, 10:45 AM

I like both cold and hot cereal. I love Honey Bunches of Oats and most types of granola. I like nearly all kinds of hot cereal but old fashioned oatmeal is my favorite, jazzed up with bananas and dates.

I don't eat any of that stuff anymore, though. My highest blood sugars are always in the morning so breakfast is carbless or very low carb - usually egg muffins or low-carb toast and peanut butter. I can get away with sprinkling some granola on yogurt later on in an active day but Honey Bunches of Oats can't even be in my cupboard.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-31-2019, 10:57 AM

I like cold cereal, but donít generally buy it. Not really sure why. My preferred way to eat it is as a snackó grab a handful and munch away. To have in a bowl I like Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Rice Krispies, and Grape Nuts. To use as a snackó Golden Grahams.

For hot cereal I like steel cut oats that I make in my Instant Pot. I add almond milk, fresh fruit, and a dash of maple syrup. As a kid my hot cereal of choice was Cocoa Wheats with LOTS of sugar added.

For breakfast I usually have steel cut oats or yogurt with my homemade granola.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-31-2019, 12:56 PM

I like cold cereal. My favorite is Lucky Charms and would eat it every day if it wasn't for gluten and dairy messing with me.

I do not like cooked oatmeal. There isn't enough brown sugar to entice me to eat that stuff. The consistency is unappealing to me. DH and all 3 kids love oatmeal. I make it for them with half water and milk and add brown sugar and raisins.

I do like cold overnight oats made with almond milk, cinnamon, and blueberries. I eat this at school for an afternoon snack.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 08-31-2019, 01:36 PM

Cold cereal...I like granola, but rarely have a bowl of that because way too many calories!

Hot cereal...In the winter I make old-fashioned rolled oats. I soak 1/2 cup oats overnight in 3/4 cup flax milk in a pint jar. Heat in the microwave and add fruit and cinnamon. I can make 3 or 4 jars on the weekend and keep them in the fridge to have during the week.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I love cereal!
Old 08-31-2019, 02:45 PM

I have always loved cereal. When I was a kid, I loved Cap'n Crunch and Lucky Charms.

Now as an adult, I go for cereals with less sugar. I love Cheerios sprinkled with chopped walnuts. I also love Kellog's corn flakes with sliced bananas and Kellog's Raisin Bran. I won't eat any other kind of raisin bran.

I love Cream of Wheat with milk, butter and sugar. I don't eat it that often because I am limiting sugar.

I love McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal. It's got a nuttier flavor than American oatmeal and it's not processed. In the fall I make a pot of Irish oatmeal on Sunday night. I add pumpkin pie spice, raisins and chopped walnuts and a pinch of brown sugar. I add milk and put it into individual portions for me to take to work for breakfast.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Cereal
Old 08-31-2019, 03:36 PM

I ate sugary cereals as a kid, but the thought of eating something very sweet in milk first thing in the morning makes me ill. I have no issues later in the day or evening, though. I don't eat cereal at all, I'm more a granola person. I have a couple of tablespoons over greek yogurt.

I assume hot cereal is oatmeal? I love oatmeal, but I don't often eat it. On the rare occasion I go to Starbucks I get an oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-31-2019, 04:28 PM

I’m the odd man out... I do not like cereal. I actually never have, maybe because we never bought it when I was growing up.

I make overnight oats for school mornings, you eat them cold though.
I don’t love them, but they keep me full and are good for you.
I make 5 on a Sunday in small jelly jars and have one each morning.
I use:
Steel cut oatmeal
Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Little brown sugar
Slivered almonds
Blueberries
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 08-31-2019, 04:43 PM

i eat a bowl of plain cheerios every morning for breakfast. sometimes for a treat I might have Life cereal.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Cereal
Old 08-31-2019, 06:45 PM

I LOVE cereal--hot and cold.

I eat more cold cereal during the summer months. During the colder months, I eat hot oatmeal on a regular basis.

I have lots of favorites. Now that I'm older, I try to stay with cereals that don't have as much sugar (Raisin Bran, Grape Nuts), but I LOVE Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch with Crunchberries.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

teachcarolina

Old 08-31-2019, 07:04 PM

Do you like cold cereal? What flavors? I used to love cereal, then I did the low carb and got away from it. Now, I'm eating it some again and I love the peanut butter flavors. I also love Lucky Charms!

Do you like hot cereal ? What flavors ? I love Cream of Wheat with salt and butter and I absolutely love grits!!!

Is cereal a part of your morning breakfast? Not really. I usually eat a piece of toast or cheese for breakfast before school, then eat yogurt a few hours later. If I could make myself get up earlier, I would definitely eat cereal in the mornings. Maybe, I'll make that a goal.
teachcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 AM

I have frosted mini wheats with blueberries and almond milk every day, sometimes with raspberries.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 09-01-2019, 06:12 AM

I have frosted mini wheats with blueberries and almond milk every day, sometimes with raspberries. Occasionally I have oatmeal in the winter
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 09-01-2019, 05:46 PM

I love cold cereal but rarely eat it. I have a hard time sticking to the portion size so it is an occasional treat. Iíve never met a cereal I didnít like, but my favorites are Cheerios with fresh berries or Lucky Charms.

I eat oatmeal and Cream of Wheat also. I would eat them with brown sugar and raisins when I was younger, but not I usually use cinnamon and almond milk to keep it healthier. Sometimes I use fresh blueberries or raspberries also. Iíve also made the Hungry Girl Growing Oatmeal recipe (like this one: https://www.hungry-girl.com/recipes/...rowing-oatmeal) a few times and enjoy that.

If I have cereal for breakfast I will be starving in about two hours. I need to eat protein for breakfast so I usually have an egg with ham on a sandwich thin. That will keep me satisfied for 4-5 hours.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote