Help

The VENT

Grading Frustations

>

mrteacherguy

Grading Frustations
Old 09-01-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone feel like they have an almost constant combination of perplexed/frustrated expression whenever they do grading?

Year after year, assignment after assignment, I have students that constantly want to treat multipart problems (ie a question with parts a, b, c, etc) as multiple choice problems, despite me explaining and/or demonstrating how to do it? Or students that seem to pull answers from who knows where, because they have absolutely nothing to do with the question that they're supposed to be answer?

Is this a symptom of our focus on standardized tests for so many years, or an oddity with current generations of students?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 09-02-2019, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I see this much of the time, as well. My 8th grade students seem to be on autopilot: see a letter, circle one. Many of my kiddos don't read anything including directions or questions in full. In my situation, it appears to be apathy. Many of my students don't want to do anything remotely related to work. It's too difficult to get up to turn in an assignment to the student tray; they argue over who will take the entire groups' work. They ask others to sharpen penciels for them. They even ask me to pick up their pencils from the floor so they don't have to reach down (of course, I just give them the look and walk on). As for actually reading something, especially in math class, well, why would we do that?

I am focusing this year on putting responsibility back on the student much more so than I have done in the past. I have QR codes for students to fill out a form to leave my room or if they were tardy. This gives me timestamps of who comes and goes and also organizes the data so I can see patterns visually. I also have them for absent work, which takes them to a running Google slide of work done each day and what must be made up. The student is reponsible for scanning the QR code, finding the day they were absent, then completing the work.

As for slowing down to read questions and answer them mindfully, well, I'm still working on that one.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Old 09-02-2019, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As for slowing down to read questions and answer them mindfully, well, I'm still working on that one.

Pencils must stay on desktops, not in child's hand, for the first ten minutes after the assignment/test is put in front of the child. That will give the child time to read the entire assignment/test before beginning the work.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

thespisdionys

This would not work for me
Old 09-02-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Personally, if my teacher told me this, I'd be really frustrated, because I need to have a pencil in my hand when I'm working, even reading directions. Also, if it's a test I am more than ready for, I do not want to wait 10 minutes! I can read directions in far less than that

As for my students, I would have several who would stare off into space for ten minutes, then complain they had 10 less minutes to finish the test.
thespisdionys is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also do a "Vanna" show. I tell them how many pages it is, if there's a blank page on the back, and talk about the types of questions. As I do this, I hold up the test and show them, a la Wheel of Fortune. Also, students could circle or highlight directions as you go through this. In elementary, I also used to write a boldface, underlined note at the end of the test--check your paper, did you answer everything etc. Should you have to do all this with MS and HS students? No. Does it help avoid goofy answers or skipped questions? Yeah, probably.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-02-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In some cases, I also think this has to do with low abilities with executive function and self regulation in the brain.

Kids who haven't learned independence and who don't do chores at home have fewer chances to develop working memory, mental flexibility and self-control. Then they get to school and don't have the mental flexibility to think through the word problems or the self-control to pick up their own pencil.

If they can't function in MS, how are going to do "adulting" when the time comes? Unfortunately, some kids don't learn life skills at home and it falls on their teachers to teach them that along with curriculum.

Good grief, when I was 12 I rode the berry bus to the strawberry fields, learned how to pick berries, turned them in for money and bought any extra school clothes that I wanted. You bet I could pick up my own pencil.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 09-02-2019, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was in community college they mostly gave multiple choice tests so when I transferred to a university where most of my exams were essay questions, I basically had to retrain my brain to do well at those type of tests.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote