Anyone have any info about long term sub jobs at charter school? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Anyone have any info about long term sub jobs at charter school?

>

Fractured

Anyone have any info about long term sub jobs at charter school?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an interview at a charter school this week. Iím not thrilled, but there isnít much out there at this time of year. Did anyone ever work at a charter school as a long term sub or know someone who did? I was wondering what the pay was like(The salary is not listed for the school online). I have heard the mandatory hours can be brutal and all of the other bad things you hear about charters. This one has an average rep as far as academics go. Any insight is appreciated.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel like pay would also depend on the school.

Our local charter school lists 7:30-4:30 as teacher hours, which yes, does sound brutal!
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was a long term sub at the charter where I now work. I love it, and although the sub pay wasn't great I love my job now. But every charter is different. Mine is a public charter so we are still beholden to some of the state mandates and such. We also have a very strong union and a great board of directors, so we are not taken advantage of.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

S5
Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Was the sub pay comparable to the regular district sub pay?

Last edited by Fractured; 09-03-2019 at 07:49 PM..

desert flower

Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my 19th year at the same charter school. Itís a good one. The sub hours are 7:30 to 4 pm. Regular staff works 7:30-4:30 Monday through Thursday. We share our subs with the regular district. They make the same pay.

desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-04-2019, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have taught at two different charter schools.

At both schools we actually had less student contact time than I have at my current, public, school.

Regarding pay... one school I was paid a lot less as a teacher and at the other I was paid a lot more.

At both schools we used the same staffing system for substitutes that that local school district uses. Due to this, our subs were paid the same daily rate. Now, long term subs would be different as they are generally hired through the school not through the staffing system.

Itís really going to depend on the specific school. All charters run differently.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

OrganizedPup

Old 09-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Pay is hard to say because it really is dependent on the school. Our subs work 7:45-3:00/3:15. Honestly I don’t think we have required times. Just as long as they get there a few moments before the students (to review plans). Teachers generally work 7:30-3:15/3:30 (depending on if they have gave afternoon duty or not). I do think our sub pay is the same as the surrounding public schools.

Just remember, not all charters are “bad”, just like not every traditional public elementary/middle/high school is good. And don’t forget there are some public charters as well.
OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-08-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the responses. I do know some charter schools are good, but I havenít had good experiences with them as a sub. This one is a public charter, but it has a lousy academic reputation and basically buys its curriculum from a company.