The VENT

I am so mad right now

>

snazzyjazzy

snazzyjazzy

I am so mad right now
Old 09-03-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I accepted a teaching job last year. I struggled from day 1 because of student behavior and lack of support. I tried to turn it around but wasn't able to. I reached out to my association (we do not have strong unions in my state) and she reached out to the principal. After being pulled out of class constantly for "unannounced meetings" and being written up several times for student behavior, my association rep and I considered me resigning. I was worried about sanctions (losing my teaching license for a year) and the association rep reached out to the district. She didn't receive an answer so she reached out to my principal. The principal told me that if I resigned (7 weeks in) then I wouldn't receive sanctions. The principal asked me what I would do if I resigned. I told her that I would sub in another district. She called my association rep and told her that I wouldn't receive sanctions. The rep asked for it in writing so the principal sent me to the conference room and had people from the office clean out my classroom (without my knowledge) while she supposedly called legal. After sitting in the conference room for almost 2 hours, she comes and tells me that my resignation was accepted (I hadn't even submitted it and my room was already cleaned out). I was told the next day not to come back after spending all day in the conference room. In January, I recieved a sanction letter that I would recieve a sanction on my license from Oct 2018 to Oct 2019 and could not take a teaching job during that time. I never received anything on my license. I pulled up my license today and saw that my license had been sanctioned but from July 2019 to July 2020. This means that I will probably have a hard time finding a job for the 20-21 school year. I am certified in 6 areas and it shows 1 area as valid while everything else is suspended. I plan on calling my association tomorrow because I subbed for the rest of last year and planned on subbing this year and applying for jobs for Dec. My district does not require certification to sub but I don't want any more suprises.

NJ Teacher

An attorney...
Old 09-04-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know if you could have access to an attorney who specializes in educational issues. It sounds like the principal certainly gave you bad advice by telling you that you would not be sanctioned, and I don't know how a district could accept your resignation if you didn't submit one while you were sequestered in a room. It also disturbs me that other people went through your things and cleaned the room out. How would they know what you personally bought for your room? At the very least, the sanction information on your letter you received does not match what is online, so that is something that even if i didn't have a lawyer to help me, i would make an appointment at the state department of education with my letter to discuss the conflicting information.

Good luck to you.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Sanctions without notice
Old 09-04-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would get a labor attorney right now. You may have had your rights violated. Also, deeply investigated your stateís ed code. Look for the sections regarding reasons for termination, resignation, etc. also, investigate your complete contract.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Different perspective
Old 09-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I donít like the way you were treated and I am not sure how you can prove what admin did.

I read and reread your post. I have a different view on what to do now.
If that happened to me in my first 5 years of teaching, I would leave the profession. I would wonder if the sanctions came off, would there be gossip behind my back? How will this reflect on me? What did the other teachers saying about me?
And would you really want to sub?

I told you I have a different view. I do wish you the best.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote