Help

The VENT

Take it as a Compliment

>

StellaBulldog

Take it as a Compliment
Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just don't see it as a compliment that I'm the teacher on the team that gets all the "difficult" and IEP students. I hate when people tell me to take it as a compliment. At this point, I feel taken advantage of. I always have "that" class and it has really taken a toll on my mental and physical wellbeing. All teachers on the team should be able to handle the students. Last year was so awful I was considering, and still am, leaving teaching. I was once told that I was "famous" in the neighborhood and that everyone wanted me to be their child's teacher. So then, why are we burning out the good ones? This year was supposed to be the year the other teachers in my team got a turn, but now I'm being told that it's not working out and students are going to be moved into my classroom.

StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 09-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! That really stinks. We switch every year. With two classes in each grade, you get the inclusion class one year and the ELL class the next. Makes it easier for the Sped and ELL teacher to provide services.

It's not working out because those other teachers know if they complain enough, the P will switch them back to you. I think I would let the principal know you find this very unfair and will be looking for a new position in the future. Maybe that will stop the switch?
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

getting the challenging kids
Old 09-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I felt this way too! I was told that I had such great structure in my class which is why these challenging kids would do so well in my class. I certainly didn't see it as a compliment! My hard work was repaid with harder kids.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

StellaBulldog

Old 09-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Wow! That really stinks. We switch every year. With two classes in each grade, you get the inclusion class one year and the ELL class the next. Makes it easier for the Sped and ELL teacher to provide services.
At my school I get them all. Though, I do split the ELLs with another teacher about 60/40 (her 60) and we have lots of ELLs.

Quote:
I think I would let the principal know you find this very unfair and will be looking for a new position in the future.
I do plan to try this. as I have been saying that if this year is like last year I will be looking around, but I really don't think they will care. Lots of teachers want to teach at my school, they'll find someone to fill the position.

Quote:
I felt this way too! I was told that I had such great structure in my class which is why these challenging kids would do so well in my class. I certainly didn't see it as a compliment! My hard work was repaid with harder kids.
Yup!

Renea

P
Old 09-05-2019, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You donít have the continue to be wonderful. Send the challenging kiddos to the office. Call their parents and have them talk to admin about their wayward children. Donít go the extra mile for the challenging students and turn them over to the P. Let the P know your days of excelling wi5h challenge students are over.

Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Other teachers
Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The other teachers know how to work the system. They know that if they complain enough, your principal will give in. Sorry that they donít feel confident enough to deal with ALL kids. Maybe THEY should leave teaching if they canít handle it. Been there, done that. Thatís why I retired in June.
2000Aggie is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 09-06-2019, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A compliment and being taking advantage of aren't mutually exclusive. You are being taken advantage of because you are that good and your co-workers can't do the job. So, I agree. It is a compliment to be the one they know can do the job. But it is completely unfair that your fellow teachers are allowed to skate having fewer skills and probably getting the same evaluations as you without having to be able to teach all students.

StellaBulldog

Old 09-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
The other teachers know how to work the system. They know that if they complain enough, your principal will give in.
Actually, that is not the case usually. It was in this instance but the other times it was the choice of the admin to move the kid(s).

But, update! The student is not being moved into my room! I talked with my admin this morning and we discussed how this year was supposed to be my "break." She agreed that I always get "that" class and it was getting to be very unfair to me. I am happy I spoke up for myself because as recent as a year or two ago I would have just gone with it.