Help

The VENT

Liars

>

70Primrose

Liars
Old 09-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a few coworkers that seem to have way too much extra time on their hands because they have time to make up lies and spread them! I feel I donít even have time somedays to pee, how do they have time to be catty?

Also, am I crazy, but I think coming in the guise of being such a good friend and telling someone the lie that was said about them is equally catty. Then she told me not to say anything to anyone about her telling me! A lie was told about me and I have to keep quiet now to protect her, WTF? I feel I canít trust anyone, but my immediate team members. The rest of the school is a giant hornets nest! Some days I just donít want to leave my house. People suck.

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Most do
Old 09-06-2019, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My advice

Trust no one!!!

The wisest thing you can do is keep your own counsel. Keep your cards close to your chest.

Upon hearing nonsense. I would say, "that sounds like nonsense. Leave me out of your petty games, please"

You can call the office. "I need someone to come here and cover for me, please. I must use the restroom now."

If teacher's won't teach the world how to treat one another who will ?

You will miss work if you get a bladder infection. You will compromise your health if you don't drink enough water.

Please put yourself first! Your oxygen mask first, remember?
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Colleagues...
Old 09-06-2019, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Years ago,I felt that the schools I worked in were truly collegial, with a family atmosphere. People truly cared about each other, shared ideas and helped each other out.

Now, with the changes to the evaluation system and all the standards, it's every person for themselves. When I was working, I saw colleagues I had considered friends teaming up with other colleagues to do special projects or volunteer to do things to gain favor with the principal. I never seemed to be invited to join in or I learned about these "opportunities" after the fact. I also had a colleague, who while a wonderful teacher and highly regarded, talked behind the backs of others, and many times, not in a positive or flattering way. Because she had positioned herself as a school leader, she had younger, less experienced colleagues going to her for advice or spilling their guts to her, and often, this wasn't kept confidential.

I learned to keep my own counsel. It was lonely at times, but it was better than trusting the wrong people. You're right, at times, people DO suck.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I learned to assume that everything I said would be public info at my school. I tried my best to keep my mouth shut. In fact I wrote KMS on a sticky note in the back of my mailbox to remind me not to share anything in the workroom! 😉.

I found friends outside of school to share my personal info and eased my way away from the groups that would form to gossip.

Protect yourself by sharing none of your feelings or opinions that you wouldnít share at a staff meeting.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Liars
Old 09-06-2019, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Stand up for yourself in front of these liars. If they told you something someone alleged said about you, and it was inflammatory, I would call them on it. Happygal said it well ďthatís nonsense.Ē I would add in ďI donít know where you get your intel, but itís bad news.Ē And walk away.

Sounds like these people like to stir the pot.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote
WiseOkie

WiseOkie

Here's My Advice
Old 09-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was forced out because of lies and slander! Two years ago, I moved to the state I am in. I had never been here, and I didn't know a soul. I am huge connector!!! So I became heavily involved in my community, by the end of my first school year, I had volunteered for over 50 hours in the community. The summer between my first and second year, I started to help on a political campaign. Sounded great, right? I was able to get to know the city, where I resided, and help a candidate who I admired.
The problem? The candidate sat on a board with the superintendent.

My principal was a bit of a rule breaker, and thought I would be a big gossip like her. Hell no! Let's talk about how to get a million business to town, rather than what teacher did what at school. (My background is not in education.). Time marched on that year, and in November, I had a relative die. My principal was elated. Why? She thought I would move back "home" and would get rid of me. Wrong! I like where I live, and desired to stay for a few years longer. So she devised a plan to get rid of me. Anything that could be twisted - was twisted. I started to take notes, and brought in the union, but it was enough to stay. I had said stuff, such as "They don't trust my judgement, and my knowledge." "I know more people than the principal, and I wonder if she is upset by it." Things that are comical to write someup about. I had strong evaluations.

Here's my advice:

1. Keep a running log of what they say/what is your response.
2. Pull in someone fast.
3. Leave your school, asap.

I am now interviewing in other fields! I am convinced karma will bite, and my principal who is a rule breaker will be in jailer sooner than later. Me? I will be in my new role, making more money, and I will come smile at her at the jail house door.

travelingfar

Catty People
Old 09-06-2019, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry you're dealing with all that. About six or seven years ago I told a coworker that I was thinking about retiring and asked her to keep it confidential. She told another teacher who then informed the principal. It was really awkward when the administration told me that she heard I was planning to retire.

After that experience I stopped telling coworkers anything that I didn't want repeated to others.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote
WiseOkie

WiseOkie

Let me rewrite what I said....
Old 09-06-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So she devised a plan to get rid of me. Anything that could be twisted - was twisted. I started to take notes, and brought in the union, but it was enough to stay. She stated that I had said stuff, such as "They don't trust my judgement, and my knowledge." "I know more people than the principal, and I wonder if she is upset by it." Things that are comical to write someone up about. I had strong evaluations.

70Primrose

Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Keltic mom, I did stand up for myself yesterday in a sneaky way. I stated the truth but in a way that made it seem I was helping and thanking everyone. I am pretty sure I know who told the lie. I have no idea why she would tell such a stupid lie! I actually think she is upset that I am well liked by others, students and parents. The one who told me the lie has a long standing feud with one of our teachers and I think she is just trying to get me on her side. Well guess what I am on no ones side but my own.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

and yeah! ( like no duh!)
Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have title, interventionists, sped teachers and aides w/ nothing better to do than gossip while the teachers have classes to teach. Many have not seen kids for 2 weeks.
I have 1 good friend at school. I love her as a friend and trust her, but there are somethings I do not even tell her even. My mom used to say, " How can you expect someone to keep your secret if you can't even keep it yourself!
IDK why the woman told you. Maybe out of some sense of loyalty. I have had pple warn me to watch my back w/ a parent and teacher b4 and appreciated it.
Still I do not repeat anything I hear that might be even misconstrued by some of the nasty women who have so much free time. Don't take it personal. They must have miserable lives! If not run correctly, schools can get real catty and hateful.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote