Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New cat help

>

KatieViolet

New cat help
Old 09-12-2019, 01:04 PM

We found a stray kitten outside and itís been hanging around for a while, no mama in sight so far. Neighbors donít want her. She is warming up to DH and we may end up just keeping her, so I need some advice! He brought her inside for the first time today. We already have a vet appointment on Monday scheduled, but in the meantime what do I need to know?

Sheís little but walking around and able to eat. We just grabbed a couple of cans of cat food randomly so I need some recommendations of what kind to get!

No other pets, but we have 2 kids, 5 and 8. They donít know yet about her. Right now we have her in a tiled den, with a door to keep her in, and I got a cheap litter box, but I have no idea how to train her to use it. I donít even want to leave her alone now but I guess if we keep her we will have to!

We have never had pets (I did have a cat as a kid but never had to do the work of taking care of it!) so we are clueless. And I keep saying her but maybe itís a him, it is somewhat hard to tell Anyway, please advise!

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

All of
Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM

our cats have been strays. You are on the right track concerning the appointment with the vet. We have always fed our cats dry food. Others may suggest different ideas about the food.

The cats that we have now and the ones in the past are strictly indoor cats. We never had to train them to use the litter box. They just knew what to do. I can’t think of any of them using the bathroom in anything other than the litter box.

The two cats we have now like to sleep in little beds that I purchased from T.J.Maxx. You don’t necessarily need to run out and purchase one now, but I think the little kitten might like a soft pallet of some kind to sleep on in your den.

As far as cat toys, ours seem to like these little plush mice toys from Wal-Mart.

I hope any of the above information helps you.
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

new cat help
Old 09-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Just wanted to say "awwwwww!" Bless you for opening your home to an animal in need.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM

I would do a flea drop medication according to the kitty's weight in case she has any fleas....don't want them in the house. You do it monthly year round if they are outside at all. Petco, Walmart, grocery stores, etc carry them. Look for something for kittens or low weight.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Kittens
Old 09-12-2019, 02:36 PM

I just put my new cats in the litter box. They knew where it was and what to do from there.
Our cats ate dry food starting with Kitten Chow for the first year. Canned food came for one when he became elderly.
Try to purchase toys that will get them moving. They need to be stimulated.
Our cats had beds from TJMAXX. They have great pet stuff there.
We purchased a pet carrier from Wal-Mart.
Enjoy this new family member.

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 09-12-2019, 03:18 PM

I fed my little one kitten wet and dry food for a year. I don't like the flea drops. They are soi so toxic. If you see any fleas give her a quick bath with dawn dush soap. Also make sure she stays as warm as she wants. Leave a blanket scrunched up for her to burrow in. Litter wise put her in it and somehow she will keep going back there to do her business. Enjoy your new pet!
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-12-2019, 03:27 PM

Kittens don't really need training to use the litter box. Leave the lid off (if it came with a lid) for awhile, and it helps to start them in a smaller space with the box, which you're already doing. There is specific kitten formula food you can get- should be easy to find even in a regular grocery store in the pet aisle. Do not give her milk- for whatever reason people think that's a "thing" and it's actually really bad for cats to have milk. They can't digest it. Leave water out.

Growing up, any time we got a new kitten we kept them in our den for a week or so with the litter box, some toys, food, and a regular cardboard box with some blankets for laying in. Cats love boxes! Since she is tiny warmth may be a concern. Make sure there is something there she can snuggle up in. Of course we visited them often, and then after they got used to everything they got full reign of the house. The vet will be able to give you specific advice for this cat. Enjoy your new addition! Cats are the best!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Depending on how little she is, be sure she can get in the litter box on her own. I know that may sound silly but I had a kitten once that was so tiny she couldn’t climb that high . I got one of those boxes from the store that hold cans— only about 2 inches high. Put her in it once and she will catch on quickly.

As for being a girl or boy it is difficult. We have a feral that had kittens that I was sure were mostly boys, but obviously was wrong. Once we trapped them to be neutered we found out of the 6 only 2 were boys

Obviously neutering is a must and please do not entertain the thought to declaw. Play with and manipulate her paws so she gets used to it so you can then clip her nails. As she gets bigger, provide carpeted climbing towers because cats love to be high up. One of ours loves to scratch on these cardboard scratching things. Really cheap and easy!

Please keep her as an inside cat. The outdoors is a dangerous place for them.

Thank you for taking her in and please post pictures when you can. Cats rule, dogs drool!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

I canít wait to see a picture!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:43 PM

Donít let her wander around until the vet checks her. Make sure they check her for fleas, worms, ringworm (a fungus not a worm), ear mites, ticks, and vaccinate her for feline leukemia, distemper, and rabies. Be careful with the flea shampoo also. We gave one of our new young cats a flea bath and she got very sick. Talk to your vet about the safest option.
Eccj is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 09-12-2019, 04:52 PM

We feed our cat Purina dry food. She had Purina kitten chow when she was a baby but now her food is Purina Hair Ball Formula dry food. When we adopted her from a rescue organization we picked up a kennel and have always left that out for her to explore.We took her for many car rides in her kennel to acclimate her to the car. She travels well in the car now. We took her into our master bedroom and I stayed with her there for a few days. We slowly let her explore parts of the house. One day she did curl up behind a cabinet and we could not find her for a few hours. Keep a close eye on your cat as she learns to explore parts of the house. I keep our cat in the house as I believe that extends the cat's life by quite a bit. Don't forget to get the carpet or rope covered posts for your cat to sharpen her claws on. Have plenty of places for her to perch and look out the windows too. The more activities you have for your cat,the less destructive he/she will be.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

New cat
Old 09-12-2019, 05:30 PM

I've adopted three stray cats over the years. They make wonderful pets! As PPs said, simply put your new kitten in a litter box, and he or she will almost certainly know what to do. Lots of good suggestions from others. Please don't spay or neuter until the kitten is at least six to nine months old. Give his/her body a chance to fully develop. Hormones are there for a reason. Then do it.
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

New Kitten Advice
Old 09-13-2019, 06:20 AM

Thank you for taking in that kitty-baby.

1) She should know what to do as far as the litter box; it’s instinctive.

2) Since I don’t know how little she is, I wouldn’t recommend doing any flea meds until the vet makes a recommendation. She has already been in your house, so if you were going to get fleas, it’s probably too late. (I can suggest an awesome house flea treatment if need be.) The fleas really prefer to be on her so aren’t likely to jump off until / unless they get too overpopulated. The fact that she’s in a tiled room is good though, as it doesn’t give the fleas carpet fibers to hide in. I would keep her there until you have her on a vet-recommended flea treatment.

3) It’s good to give cats both dry kibble and at least a little canned food. It’s important to give cats canned food at least once a week so they don’t lose their taste for it. (Some cats that are given dry only develop a dislike for canned food.) It’s much harder to medicate a cat if it doesn’t like canned food because you can’t hide the pill in its food. For a kitten, I’d suggest a little canned food every day. The dry food is important for the health of their teeth, and there is kitten kibble specifically formulated to meet kittens’ nutritional needs. I’ve never seen kitten-specific canned food. You can buy the 5.5 oz cans of food and give her just a little from it every day (but keep it refrigerated.) You could probably spread out one can for 5 days or so. She doesn’t need a lot of canned food if you’re also giving her kitten kibble.

To establish healthy eating habits feed her on a schedule (several times a day for a kitten) and eventually scale back to twice a day when she’s old enough. Ask your vet at what age you can safely feed her just twice a day. Don’t leave any food out for her to graze on during the day because that habit can lead to obese cats.

4) When you introduce your kids to the kitten, encourage them to not touch but just sit and watch her play for a while. Cats are instinctively more afraid of children because their movements are quick and unpredictable. Let the kitten get used to them and if she comes near, have them quietly hold out a hand toward her. If she comes to them, they can pat her gently, but don’t let them try to pick her up or she’ll panic and probably scratch them accidentally in her attempt to get away. The more comfortable she gets with them over several days, the more she’ll likely come to them eventually. But she needs time. Once she’s comfortable with them, let them hold her in their laps. Again, cats are often afraid of (or just plain don’t like) being held by a standing person.

Enjoy your new furry family member!

Last edited by Mme Escargot; 09-13-2019 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Adding extra info.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Cat bed
Old 09-13-2019, 10:43 AM

This is my custom made cat bed from Amazon!

You have already been given great advice but knowing that you already have a vet appointment scheduled tells us you will be a great cat mom!

Yes, we want pictures!

Congratulations!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote