The Great Washing Machine Mystery has been solved... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

The Great Washing Machine Mystery has been solved...

>

Haley23

The Great Washing Machine Mystery has been solved...
Old 09-15-2019, 12:46 PM

Basically, I'm an idiot. I did the 3 loads the other day and it continued to work, but would take forever between "sensing" and "washing." I was weighing my options between the huge hassle of returning it for something that doesn't have that feature and just continuing to use it just knowing that the cycle would take a little longer (I'm not usually hurrying through laundry, so not that big of a deal). I decided to use it for a bit longer to see how things worked since I had the 30 days.

Today I was putting towels in and noticed that I had the "pre-soak" option clicked over to "yes." I hadn't even noticed that button. Did I mention my last machine literally had one button?? So when I thought it was "taking forever" to move on to "washing" it was pre-soaking like I told it to. I turned it off and this time it went immediately to washing as soon as it was done "sensing."

All being said and done, I'm so glad that whirlpool number was closed when I tried to call and I didn't have to make an appointment for some repairman to tell me that!

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Id have saved myself a lot of misery in this life if Id learned to read the directions.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Barb/Ohio

Old 09-15-2019, 01:07 PM

New appliances can be frustrating! Glad you figured it out.
Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 09-15-2019, 01:28 PM

Glad it was an easy 'fix'! Sometimes these new appliances are smarter than we are!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Thanks for helping me get over feeling totally clueless! I had to have the cable guy come to the house to show me why my new modem was not working. I insisted I followed all the directions to set it up and so it must be defective. Turns out, I had not pushed the "on" button. He was very gracious, but I bet he laughed all the way back to his truck.

rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-15-2019, 05:46 PM

Of course--but none of us highly educated, extremely intelligent people thought of checking that. My washer does have a presoak setting, but I can't remember when I last used it.

Instead of feeling like an idiot, focus on how much money you potentially saved. Haley23 for the win!
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Tomorrow's edition will be me trying to use the dishwasher, which was previously in the house so has no manual. It also has a bunch of fancy buttons I'm not at all familiar with . Stay tuned!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM

No manual. No problem usually. Many manufacturers have them online for free download. Ive found manuals for ancient appliances online. Search and you will most likely find.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Haley23
Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 AM

Don't beat yourself up. I did a similar thing with a new dryer.

The dryer had some anti wrinkle feature that, when on, caused the dryer to "tumble" a few times every few minutes AFTER the cycle ended. I guess the premise was that the clothes wouldn't sit and cool in the same position causing set wrinkles. It took me a while to figure it out and turn it off.

Darn those newfangled contraptions anyway!
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Barb/Ohio

Manual and Garage Door Story
Old 09-16-2019, 04:53 AM

I was going to suggest looking online as well for the manual. I have found information online several times.

Last winter my garage door would not close. When I pushed the button it would go down and then back up. So I called for service. Apparently, there was a LEAF of all things right between the sensors that was preventing it from closing! I did look for like a stick or something that might be in the way. Didn't even see a leaf. Though I offered to pay for the service, the technician did not charge me. I was his last call and I am sure after me he was glad to call it a day.

Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 AM

I am glad you figured it out. I was hoping it was operator error, not a malfunction.

That is why I only push the normal buttons on my machines. I can't screw it up that way.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote