The VENT

the future of teaching

>

what???

what???

the future of teaching
Old 09-16-2019, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in a rural part of the country. I have noticed more and more that many kids are disconnected with everyone and everything. When out to eat, instead of giving their child a book, or crayons or something else a screen is given to them.

My ONLY homework last week was a packet with two picture books. Parents were to find a comfy place and read TO their child. I had kids say they didn't do this, and one parent wrote to complain that her child refused to listen to the story. I worry about the future of humanity. Is this happening other places as well?

NJ Teacher

Yes...
Old 09-16-2019, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am retired now, but especially in my last years, I noticed a sharp decrease in attention span. They not only could not listen to their teachers, but to each other, as well. I definitely think screens are a big contributing factor. I also think too much about education is about entertainment. The
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Personally, I think we will be seeing an increase in attachment disorder. Too many parents ignoring their offspring in favor of their own screens. Then toddlers being given a screen to pacify them. It's a sad day.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

The future of our nation....
Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

People need to put their phones down. They need to talk to and read with their kids.
The same thing has happened here. People use devices to entertain children very young even. The children are getting more disturbed.
The weird part to me is when you go into a meeting and everyone has their phone sitting in front of them. At 1 time, it would have been considered rude or against policy to take phone calls or text back during a meeting. Now it is the norm for many.
People are not enjoying or being present in the moment when they answer every text or call despite what they are involved in doing at the moment.
I have a friend who I truly love that is addicted to a phone. She could be having a good conversation with anyone including her child, but the sec her phone rings or beeps, the conversation is over.
1tired is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 09-17-2019, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Several years ago, a 1st grade teacher told me she was getting complaints from more and more parents that they “just did not have time” to read with their child the 10 minutes a night that was requested by the grade level. Sad. Ten freaking minutes.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yep, it's a sad state of affairs for sure! When I'm out and about, it seems that parents are too lazy to work with their own kids and/or afraid of their own (little) kids and lets them run wild or do what they want instead of regulating and taking charge.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Consequences
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know it is hard to give consequences when a child does not complete homework because of the parent. Unfortunately, that is what it is going to take.

When the child goes home and complains/raises holy hell that he/she had to stay in for recess because the parent chose not to complete the homework, the parent will get the message.

I've had this happen. I told the child that I was sorry he/she was being given consequences, but to let his/her parent know that homework was a responsibility and needed to be completed. I also let the principal know I planned to do this, so when the parent complained to the principal, his exact words were "I agree with your child's teacher." Things changed immediately.

One other thing to consider...can the parent read? This happened to me once...the parent could not read so it was impossible for the homework to be completed. It really took a lot of guts for the parent to admit this to me. I got an older child in our school to read to the child, and I got a retired teacher to work with the parent to improve her reading.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 09-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The future is fewer people are teaching. Now our nation hires outside of our borders. Eventually the word will get out to foreigners that US public education working environment sucks.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote