Para keeps getting pulled - IEP out of compliance! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Para keeps getting pulled - IEP out of compliance!

>

TeachPeaceNE

TeachPeaceNE

Para keeps getting pulled - IEP out of compliance!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My class this year is pretty loaded with students on IEPs and 504s. This typically happens to only one teacher per grade level due to funding problems (no money for paras for multiple rooms). For the past 5 years I am the lucky winner of these loaded classes, I assume because I am a former sped teacher.

The problem is that this year, three of my students really should have one on ones. Iím talking hitting, kicking, bolting, property destruction, toileting problems, noncompliance. Unfortunately, thereís no money in Tyne budget for that, so their IEPs just say ďparaĒ and not one on one. The problem is, the para who works with these kids has to leave the room for 1-2 hours a day due to being the one person who can restrain my bolter/hitter/kicker/biter. This leaves all of my other students without support, specifically two who are on the spectrum and are supposed to have a full time para with them.

Iíve asked the sped chairperson for a meeting to figure out a plan ensuring support and compliance for services. I was told to just deal with it because there is no money. Specifically deal with it by just having the 4 other students on IEPs sit with me in a small group when the para isnít available.

WTF do I do here? What about the other 24 kids?

1tired

All I can say is I am sorry!
Old 09-16-2019, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been there and done that for 1 yr only and I am not a sped teacher even. I don't know how you could survive 5 yrs of that! When will they learn that kickers, hitters, runners, spitters,and biters do not belong in a regular ed classroom without major support? As in someone who has the power to remove them when they get violent.
It is so unfair to the other kids and you!
I wish I had magical advice, but all I can say is save your money. There will come a time, you'll be thankful you can quit!
1tired is offline   Reply With Quote
TeachPeaceNE

TeachPeaceNE

Itís frustrating for sure...
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...and while a career change has run through my mind, I also know i am very lucky to have pretty amazing and supportive coworkers (including the sped teachers), and those donít come along everyday. In addition, this year the kids are mostly pretty nice, albeit low academically.

I just keep trying to figure out how I can get admin to realize what theyíve done to my room - it is unsafe and certainly not conducive to learning. Principal wonít respond to my request for a meeting or invitation to come and observe, and keeps leaving it in sped chairís hands - I want to tell the parents that their kidsí IEPs are out of compliance because I know the only way anything gets done at our school is if a parent complains about it. Nothing gets done during the two hours a day when my para is occupied with chasing/restraining the one student.

gradymidget

Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Could you get the parents involved by letting them know their child is not receiving the services that are provided in their IEP? However this could put a target on your back with your principal or special ed. director. It infuriates me when a supervisor says...just deal with it. Yeah.....let them spend a day in your room and deal with it. My sympathies go out to you.
gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 09-17-2019, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Please make sure you document your conversation(s) and request(s) for this coverage with the SPED chairman in follow up emails that also clearly express your concern about the lack of coverage as it is needed and it also puts the school/district out of compliance with the studentsí IEPs. I would also cc the Principal. A parent complaint to the superintendent, the state board of education, or a lawsuit could find you in a precarious position if the SPED chairperson and/or Principal acts as if they had no idea this was a problem. Put the responsibility back where it belongs with those in charge.

ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

After Each Meeting...
Old 09-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

with the special ed chairperson or your administrator, send an email restating what was said at the meeting. Also send the email to yourself on your home computer and make a hard copy.

I would also cc this email to the school board and superintendent.

When the parents ask questions, I would restate what you've been told and might even show them the emails you sent.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-17-2019, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This situation is so unfair to all involved. If I were the parent of one of the IEP students, you can bet I would be complaining. Or the parent of a regular ed student who is not getting a full day of education.

Definitely document. And then start thinking of ways to encourage parents to complain without actually telling them to.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote
TeachPeaceNE

TeachPeaceNE

Thank you for the suggestions...
Old 09-17-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

...I did go ahead and email the chair and principal summarizing my conversation with the chair - great idea. Just trying to advocate for ALL of my students without crossing a line legally myself. Have yet to hear back from principal, but at least she canít claim she didnít know.