Newbie - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Magnolia Room

>

2teach4ver

Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does it seem like RC and L&L are very close in philosophy? I have tried to use L&L in the past with some success, and have read "Teaching Children to Care" this summer and they seem very similar. Are they?

I like the ideas from RC and really want to put my heart into making it successful (it goes more with my personal beliefs), but letting go of my old card/chart system is difficult! Suggestions?

I want to do a morning meeting to start our day off right, but only have 15 minutes from the time the tardy bell rings to when we "have to" start reading. Thoughts on other ways to handle it?

Lastly, I will be expected to start reading and math starting day 1. By week 2 we are expected to be teaching all subjects at their appropriate time, including literacy stations. Is there an easy way to keep with the ideals of RC and start teaching right away?

Any advice would be very helpful! THANKS!

friendlypoofy

Old 06-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes I really think they are similar, too! I say definitely let go of the card system! It will really change the atmosphere in your room for the better. With a combined RC and L&L approach, your kids will STILL know that they have expectations and consequences, but they will feel more empowered about making choices and receiving consequences that are fair and logical. As long as you are consistent with your expectations for certain behaviors, I think it will work well!!

As far as morning meeting, I would start it right at the bell. I think it makes SUCH a difference to start the day that way. For the first half of the year morning meeting shouldn't be that long anyway. I always try to keep it short by playing a community building game that is fast. Then for our closing meeting at the end of the day, we can play one of the more involved games. Also, you could do your calendar at the beginning of math instead of a part of your morning meeting. I think this is what I will do next year to cut back on the time and also make morning meeting more of a meeting and less calendar time.

I'm with you on the aggravation of being forced to do academics RIGHT AWAY! It really makes no sense. How do you teach reading because that will affect how you can integrate RC? I say for reading and math, if you are allowed to do so, use guided discoveries during those times to learn about some of the math materials, as well as reading materials. Explore the books and how to take care of them, same thing with math manipulatives. This is what I try to do. Use whatever spare time you have during the day to talk about rules together, procedures, community, etc. It will pay off in the long run. I also find that mentioning these things in the morning message is a another good way to get them in!