Other Christians - spiritual question - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Other Christians - spiritual question

>

1stTeacherPF

Old 12-27-2017, 06:00 AM

'Donít worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience Godís peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.'

Philippians 4:6-7

1stTeacherPF is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Nancy, the Holy Spirit is not just something abstract who showed up to the apostles at Pentecost and then went away. The Spirit is real and present and at work in our lives. As we become more aware and open, the Spirit comes out in our lives even more.

I am sure your experience was from the Holy Spirit!

What’s more: the experience of the Holy Spirit can and should be a daily thing for Christians. God never withholds His Spirit from us. We quench the Spirit by our own attitude or expectation that somehow the work of the Holy Spirit is supposed to be rare and exceptional. Rather, the Spirit is given to us to help us in every aspect of our lives. It is no surprise that the Spirit helps us—it is what was promised to us by Jesus.

Last edited by lisa53; 12-27-2017 at 11:51 AM..
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

It's biblical, Nancy
Old 12-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Philippians 4:6-7

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Previous posters have all given you sound biblical answers. I agree, and have felt peace in terribe situations, that others have not understood how.

John 16:33 I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Other Christians - spiritual question
Old 12-27-2017, 09:47 PM

I hope there is someone who can help me to understand this. For the past couple of months we have had great concerns in our church - mainly, a pastor who is a tyrant (there really are major problems, likely mental illness). He has very harshly corrected staff and lay people alike in front of others, even shaking fingers in some of our faces. He is trying to get rid of a valuable and spiritually sound staff member. On the night before our big congregational meeting in which we knew there would be conflict and stress I was praying fervently for God to be in control, to work His perfect will, to heal and bring us peace (we have been praying for the pastor and his family as well). The next day in a council election and then an election of council officers there was a major shake up. It changed the whole power base of our church causing our pastor to get extremely angry. I truly felt as if the Holy Spirit was in control here based on the way things turned out. Then about a week later one night I was lying in my bed praying fervently for our church. I don't even know how to describe the enveloping peace that came over me. It was as if God were telling me that in the end, we were going to be the healthy congregation we once were. Since then I feel totally assured that everything is going to work out. I experienced a similar situation when we were fostering our DD. Even though there was still stress and worry, I knew in my heart she belonged to us. Those are the only 2x I have experienced anything like this. Do you think my feelings of assurance are valid? I was telling a good friend, former pastor's wife who has an amazing faith and seems to have great wisdom, but she was having a hard time accepting that I felt so assured. Does this seem to truly be the work on the Holy Spirit in your opinion? Have any of you ever had an experience like this? Any other thoughts?

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 12-27-2017, 09:57 PM

"Does this seem to truly be work of the Holy Spirit in your opinion?"
ABSOLUTELY!!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Peace
Old 12-27-2017, 10:04 PM

Peace that passes all understanding. Yes, I believe this is the Holy Spirit at work in your life!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

1stTeacherPF

Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 PM

Absolutely! I am currently experiencing a situation that seems dire, yet I know God will work it out! I am so thankful for His peace!
1stTeacherPF is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 12-27-2017, 10:41 PM

Yes, I have had a peace come over me at different times in my life. I wouldn't worry about the other lady. You know what you felt. Did we talk about the God box on here? If I have something I have been praying about and I can't deal with anymore I put it in the God box. At that point it tells me I can't worry or fret about this any longer. I have felt a peace come over me.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 12-28-2017, 05:18 AM

I truly believe the peace of God is something that's hard to explain but very real. Yes, I've felt it before and it's amazing. There's no other way to explain the peace given in certain situations that should otherwise overwhelm us. That's why Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit - as a comforter..... and so glad He did!

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Thank you all so much for building my confidence in this situation!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 12-28-2017, 02:21 PM

I second everything everyone else said, but I did find it odd that your friend didn't think that your sense of peace could come from the Lord. I think it sad that a woman
Quote:
who has an amazing faith and seems to have great wisdom,
wouldn't see that your sense of peace came from a higher power. I hope and pray that things do improve for you and your congregation in the coming year!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote