ARCHIVE

Songs for Teaching--2nd grade

>

tempest555

tempest555

Songs for Teaching--2nd grade
Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I found a great website that has all sorts of songs for each subject that you can use to help get an idea across. I just can't afford the CD's they sell. Does anyone have suggestions for songs or chants that can be used to teach subjects in second grade? Right now we are focusing on sentences, nouns, geometry, animals, and communities. Thanks a bunch.

REB

REB

I have a question for you...
Old 10-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a music teacher, grades K-6. Does your school happen to have a music teacher? If so, you may want to start there. If not, there's a great magazine called musick8, and it has songs on all sorts of subjects, I have done a rap song with my kids on the amazon rain forest, a rap song about Martin Luther King, songs about hygiene, science, songs about the states, and patriotic songs, as well as stories in some issues about famous people, or on different countries, and their music. The magazine's website is musick8.com On their website, you can listen to samples of the songs, so you can listen and see if that's something that you want to buy or not. Each magazine is around 8 or 9 dollars, and there are usually about 5-7 songs in each magazine. Also, if you don't play piano, or read music, they also sell accompaniment/performance CD's and those are usually around $14 for each magazine's CD.

ALSO...something else you could check out...and it doesn't cost anything, by the way....on musick8's website, they have an idea bank, and you can type in a keyword that you're looking for, and find songs that go with the subject.

I have seen a whole musical, script and all in some of the magazines.
I have done "possibilities", and "Freedom", as well as "This is America". I also saw one of the musicals that would have social studies, and science in it...it's called "Discovery". (this was published in one of the musick8 magazines that I have, but I don't remember the issue...it's at school.)

I really enjoyed using these last year, and bought the magazines myself last summer before school started, and am still using them at my school this year.

ALSO...one last thing I remembered...there is a mini-script that would be great for Black History month, I think it was called "If you followed the Drinking Gourd", and of course, some songs are also in that same issue that could be used if you wanted to present a musical.

Just some thoughts...let me know if you need any other ideas.
REB
Wanda

Wanda

50 learning songs sung to your favorite tunes
Old 03-07-2006, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The book "50 learning songs sung to your favorite tunes" by Scholastic Professional Books has songs under the following catagories:
Reading and writing, Primary concepts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Social Skills, and Science. Listed at the back is Book Links.

A couple examples of the songs in the book are "Vowels" sung to "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" and "Months of the Year" sung to "Here We Go Looby Loo."

I have used this book for Kindergarten to grade 2.