ARCHIVE

What is too much work?

>

Music Teach

Music Teach

What is too much work?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach k-2 general music and 5-12 band in a small town. I have assigned my beginning 5th and 6th grade bands weekly practice sheets. I use these as part of their grade. Each week the students need to commit to 1 hour and 40 minutes of practice time (for 7 days). This averages to about 20 minutes per night on the week days. I have explained that weekends could be used to either make up times or for extra credit. I don't think this is too much to ask of them. I am hoping that parents understand how serious I am about practice and I want each student to take band seriously. Do any of you think I am asking too much from my students? This is my first teaching job and I would hate to start out on the wrong foot! Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Chicago Teacher

band practice
Old 10-03-2005, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not a music teacher, but I played the clarinet from 4th-10th grade. I would say I took band "fairly seriously" meaning I liked to play and I liked class, but I hated to practice. I actually remember forging my practice card on a regular basis as early at 5th grade.

From what I recall, we were asked to practice about the same amount of time you are talking about (though I rarely did). If the kids want to get good, then they need to practice! And 20 minutes is not a lot of "homework" a night for 5th-6th grade.

To me it sounds like you are being practical and that your expectations will show you take your class and their improvement seriously. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if you have students who don't do what you are asking.

Have you received negative feedback from students/parents? I'm just curious if there has been a problem and that is why you are posting.
Chicago Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
cs

cs

?????
Old 10-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hasn't this been posted more than once and on all the boards last week?

cH

Retired band director
Old 10-11-2005, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To Music Teach,
I teach K-3 music and my husband is a retired band director, so I asked him about this. He says 15 minutes per night is about all the beginners can handle. In his later years, he didn't mess with practice cards, and his beginner bands always made good progress. No one can possibly contest the fact that regular practice is needed for progress - it's just a matter of getting the students (and parents) to own up to an honest accounting. Some students can do a lot in 10 minutes, while others can practice for 30 and still make little or no progress in the beginning.

I do suggest that you direct future questions to the ARTS board. If we get some questions and answers and sharing going there, maybe we can develop some communication amongst the ARTS teachers. Many of our problems are pretty specific to our disciplines.
cH is offline   Reply With Quote