Help

Magnolia Room

Morning Mtg. I need convincing...

>

doc2000

Morning Mtg. I need convincing...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach third grade, just finished MM book. While I agree with the philosophy, I'm not convinced that I can caarve out the time when I can incorporate the components throughout the day......I'd like to hear from third or fourth grade teachers who have used MM for an entire year and their successes or areas for concern.

Lopi7

Mm
Old 07-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 5th grade, but our entire elementary school has been using RC for many years. It's not too hard to fit in morning meeting because it can be as long (or short) as you want/need it to be. Each day we greet each other, 3 kids share (unless someone asks for a special share too) and we review the morning message, however, I don't necessarily play a game each day. Usually we have a game at least 2-3 times per week. On a typical day, it takes approx 15 minutes for the whole meeeting. I can't imagine not starting our day this way, it just sets a positive tone for the day.

Ideabaker

Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lopi7, what are some ways that your class members greet each other... short of just the handshake and saying good morning to each other?? Thanks!

Mrs. O

Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not Lopi7,

but I use some of the Doctor Jean ways. Once I do a few different ways, my class starts making up there own. One they seemed to love, because they would pick it everyday, was the Cell Phone--they would make up a special ring tone and then greet the person.

Eli2

Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi,
Who is Dr. Jean?? I googled him/her?? but I didn't find anything.
Thanks for your help.

Lopi7

Ideabaker - here's a list
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm attaching a list of ways you can mix up greetings, though I always start the year with just practicing a handshake greeting. Some of these are from the Morning Meeting book and the lengthier ideas I cut and pasted from a great website recommended by another PTer. It's http://www.originsonline.org/res_classroom.php
Attached Files
File Type: doc Morning Greetings.doc (54.5 KB, 315 views)

Ideabaker

Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks Lopi7, your list is SO helpful! I've gone to the Origins site but get overwhelmed opening and closing options. My class is a very high percentage LD and behavioural issues "stacked". A problem I had with a couple of kids during MM is that they get the giggles or get argumentative when their turn to greet comes up and irritate the other members of the circle by delaying the flow of the greeting section of the meeting. I was thinking of giving them thirty seconds, then skipping them, but that feels so very much "out of the spirit" of Morning Meeting.

Any thoughts on how you (or anyone) have/might handle this??

doc2000

Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

for your responses. I think I will try it, following the book and see if I can keep it at 15 min. I understand the value of MM and hope it will be successful.

cntryheart

Ideabaker
Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach in a second-level (my students have already "failed" out of one ED class) ED classroom and I can tell you that morning meeting has been an excellent addition to my classroom. People are amazed when they see my kids greeting each other. We are very specific about the expectations for each greeting before we try a new one. My kids had a new respect for each other after this and they would even ask for it if something happened and we couldn't do morning meeting. I have a file on greetings that I got at one time on PT. I will attach it here. I hope that they are helpful to someone.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Greetings.doc (188.5 KB, 240 views)

wirklich

MM worth the time!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach 4th in an RC school. After a little practice, we can do our Morning Meeting in 20 minutes. We make sure to include the greeting, sharing, activity and news and announcements every day. These components are all very important and I think that the meeting can lose some of it's impact if you leave anything out. Students also look forward to the routine and structure.
It's worth the time-you'll see a huge difference in your classroom community!

Lopi7

Ideabaker- inappropriate during greeting
Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think I would try two things with kids who consistently have trouble during the greeting. First, I'd use your skip after 30 sec (which even sounds a bit long). It's a logical consequence to not being able to greet a person in the expected time. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, I'd just ask the greeter to move on. Then, I'd take my kiddos aside and practice with them what the greeting should look like and how timely it should be and ask what they need in order to participate in the greeting. Try it again the next day and see what happens. Keep trying it until they are finally successful. Some of the acting up may be in response to the attention they receive for it, so try moving on quickly.

Ideabaker

Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Cntryheart, I love the activity file you saved! Thanks for that.

In only three days with this class (I'm starting midyear in a year round school) I already see a difference that holding the morning meeting is having within the class. It truly is amazing! On the second day, I did handshake with addressing each other by surnames... nobody (these kids have gone to school together for years in a three room schoolhouse) knew their peers surnames. They were shocked to discover how little they knew about each other after only two meetings, and yesterday they begged to greet by surnames again after our scheduled greeting-- just for "practise"! The greeting went by so fast! They had obviously gone round at recess to learn each other's names.

Glad to have some more ideas until my MM books of activities arrive. I especially like the bean bag one, as I have a lot of kinesthetic learners in the class!

Again, thank you.

Ideabaker

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Lopi7, thank you for "permission" to skip during greeting. I do think that once they realize they will be skipped they will join in a lot faster, and I especially appreciate the suggestion for the side "modeling" with my laggers... I like to 'teach' all skills, assuming nothing, so this makes a lot of sense!

And I will definitely keep on trying until they are successful... I know they have it in them and deeply believe in the value of MM!

whistler

morning meeting
Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I teach third grade, too. Definitely do MM! We take about 20 minutes for ours, and it's 20 minutes well spent. Like some other PTers, I don't do the activity every day, or even during meeting time- sometimes I'll save it for during a snack recess.
I worked out a system with the greetings that after we had done 4 or 5 of them, I was in charge of the greetings on Monday and Friday, and 2 kids were in charge of picking and leading a greeting of their choice on Tues, Wed. and Thurs.
I had a child who had general difficulty with morning meeting. I gave him a clipboard with three behaviors to look for (we came up with these as a class as the hardest ones at MM)- and had him give us a report when we were done with the meeting. He graded the class on a 1 to 3 scale. This seemed to work- gave him something else to concentrate on other than fooling- and he felt important during the "report time."
I do sharing 3 days a week- it's a sign up. You can't do it 2 weeks in a row,unless it's an incredibly important announcement, like you won a million dollars or something like that. I learned in a RC workshop about "quick share"- for example, "I have 2 pets. Are there any questions?" This helps kids from going on and on and on! No sharing of toys, and no sharing of things (unless you've checked it out with me the day before...)
Two things that I do that are a little different is that we have the riddle of the day, given by my meeting helper. The helper chooses a riddle as his/her job- and it needs to be a riddle that you can explain. PArticularly important for third graders who don't "get it" in the beginning of the year. The second thing is we have a "quiet moment" that lasts 15 seconds, at the end of the meeting. You can think about whatever you want, and it seems to settle everyone. The meeting helper says when to start, counts to 15 silently, and then when to stop.

Ideabaker

Riddle of the Day?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Whistler, do you have a source you use for riddles to get kids going? (Does the helper have to come up with all of the riddles).

I really like your idea of the quiet moment, that helps settle them down for the day, I think I will implement that in our meetings! Thanks!

whistler

riddles/quiet moment
Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have some basic kids riddle books from a used book store- nothing special, really. At some point kids bring in riddle books from home, too- especially when we're making riddle books to send to the troops abroad. (Another topic...) My rules with picking a riddle are that you have to be able to explain it when someone says "I don't get it", you have to show it to me first (gets rid of the kids who know riddles that are inappropriate...), and that it has to be a question-type riddle instead of a knock-knock type.
I really like our quiet moment- and kids do say that it settles them down!
Good luck!

funteach3

Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

LOVE the greetings documents...thank you!!!