Magnolia Room

First Day-very first activity?

>

wirklich

First Day-very first activity?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Teachers!
I'm trying to figure out a great activity that can be done by students at their desks as they enter the room on the first day of school. Students will all arrive at basically the same time, but I want to be able to be at the door greeting each student.
I'm going to start my 7th year of teaching 4th grade, so I'm looking for something new. I always ask them to write about the most memorable event of their summer vacation and draw a picture if they have time. Then I make a back-to-school word search for the kids who finish quickly.

Let me know if you have any brilliant ideas for me! THanks!

happygirl444

Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Something our fifth graders do is make paper t-shirts to hang up that have specific information on them about themselves ("My Tee About Me"). For example, their favorite book goes on the right sleeve, a descriptive word about themselves goes on the collar, a hobby goes on the top of the shirt, etc. Maybe you could have them start brainstorming it or maybe they could even start working on it. (I teach first grade so I am not quite sure...)

mrs.bear

Old 08-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm teaching first grade, but the first thing that I always do is have the kids work on a word search that I make with all their names in it. Another activity I do is have them make friendship bracelets with pony beads (1 bead for each person in our class to review one-to-one correspondence). I know these are first grade activities, but you may be able to modify...

Jule

Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the idea of the name search. I hope we get our class list in time. Sometimes I don't get it until the day before school starts. I think I'll also let them decorate their name tag.

Room22

Word Search
Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

puzzlemaker.com makes it easy to put together a word search. I have this on the kids desk for the first day.

superteacher0

bathroom passes
Old 08-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 1st, and I am having the kids make/decorate their bathroom tag that they put in place of the hall pass when they go. This should give me time to help children with supplies. I have a color sheet for them to work on when they finish.