Help

Kindergarten

NWEA MAP testing

>

MM123

NWEA MAP testing
Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need the opinion of fellow Kindergarten teachers who have given their children the NWEA MAP Spring test for Math, I would post the Reading as well, but the scores are not available yet.

Do you think these scores are appropriate for Kindergarten, especially around this time of year? I feel like a lousy teacher because my children are not reaching the "projected" goal of the assessment. All of my children went up in score, but none of them reached the "projected RIT."

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MM123 is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are goals individualized? We set our own goals. I'm not in Kindergarten, though. There is a proficiency level, but always go for growth. If this is the first time taking the test, you can't go by that.

What does your district say about where Kindergartners should be?
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachrsheart

Take a deep breath.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is why I hate these test so much in Kindergarten. Your spring scores are only slightly above (1-5 points) my classes Fall scores. BUT and it is a big but, I work at a private school with an extremely good pre-k program. Different kindergarten students start at different places.

We do not do the spring test for another 2 weeks so I can not tell you spring scores.

These test are made to learn from not to feel lousy about. Lets face it all teachers have room for improvement. The first year is when you can see where you really need to improve and work on it. Wait until you can log on and get your full test results. Then you can see where your students are weak. It may have nothing to do with you. For example it may be time for your school to look at your curriculum.

For instance my class is always high in math but on standardized tests they are almost always low on Vocabulary because my class is 90% ESL.

Do not jump the gun and get frustrated.
teachrsheart is offline   Reply With Quote

teachrsheart

I forgot to mention.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was thinking last night that I forgot to mention computer skills have a huge impact on MAP. If your students do not have the computer skills to show what they know your results may not be accurate.

Again this is why I hate standardized testing in Kindergarten. It is impossible to isolate skills. A child who has low motor skills will not be able to control the mouse and click the right answer. If they get the wrong one in Kindergarten they just give up and move on. a child who is low in listening may show up as low in other subjects that they are high. IF they do not know how(or do not have the motor control) to click on the speaker if they can not read the word, they are at a serious disadvantage.

MM123

Old 04-26-2015, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The MAP test starts all the children at the same level, and then depending on how they answer certain questions, it will then "individualize" the test for them. My district is concerned only with the numbers NWEA has.

MM123

Old 04-26-2015, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is extremely frustrating regardless, starting next year my district will be basing part of our evaluations off of the children's test scores. I do not know how the other schools in my district score, I would like to know how my class compares to the other classes in the district, but that information will not be available for another month. My children have been on the computers since Aug., so manipulating the mouse shouldn't be a problem for most of them. I think part of the problem is that the test takes a long time for them to complete, it is boring and tedious. I think the children just get sick of it, and instead of listening to the question, and then looking and listening to the various answers, thinking about their answer, and then choosing it, they are just clicking anything to get it finished. I don't know how to combat this, we have reviewed the test together as a class, but I don't know how to make them "care" about how they do. They are 5 & 6 years old, all this testing is insane!

teachrsheart

MAP Scores
Old 05-24-2015, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I thought I would share our class average. We are not allowed to share specific scores but our average in math was 177. 6 (about 93rd %) and our reading was 169(about 83rd %) But again it is not fair to compare private schools with really great parents to private schools.

But I want to be clear, Dispite being in the in the 80-90% in the nation on MAP and 90% on IOWA, we only met 50% all of our Projected RIT in Reading and 85% in Math . And I really think the RITs Unreasonable unless there is a set testing date, and not 3 month testing period. From what I can see they assume you are taking the fall test at the beginning of the school year and Spring at the end and the RIT is a year worth of growth. This was our first year so we took our fall test in the very end of the testing period. And since we are in Georgia we start school the first day of August and not mid September. Our Map test was taken 3 1/2 months into the school year in Late November. Our students had made a lot of progress at that point already. Then our spring MAP had to be taken closer to the beginning of the testing window, because last week was our last week of school.

Simply put MAP is helpful. It helps me to see where I need to work. Where I can improve. But RITs are not perfect. There are a LOT of things can influence testing.