Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Grandmas

>

Penguin82

Grandmas
Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 PM

How often do you see your grandchild(ren)?

Do you ask to watch/spend time with them? Or do your kids ask you to spend time with them?

Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 PM

We live about two hours from my grandchild but we manage to visit about three times a month. We've been known to drive two hours just for dinner. Honestly it's never enough but I feel fortunate to live so close.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 08-06-2015, 05:27 PM

I live about an hour away.
I/we aim for once-a-week but it doesn't always happen that way. Sometimes it might be twice in a week, sometimes it might be once in a month.
They like to see us as much as we like to see them so it is sort of a common "when are we getting together" conversation.
As Renea said
Quote:
Honestly it's never enough but I feel fortunate to live so close.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 08-06-2015, 05:27 PM

We live in SW Florida and our grandchildren live in Portland, OR. We don't fly, this is the 2nd time we've driven out here, they have flown to see us several times. Now that #2 has arrived the visits may be fewer, since DD would come with DGD, it's much harder to fly cross country with 2 children alone. We do Skype weekly, which is wonderful, but we would give anything to have them move closer.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 08-06-2015, 05:51 PM

When my grandchildren lived nearby, we saw them often. We kept them while their parents went out at least once a month. We also got together for family dinners, etc at least twice a month. For the last year, they have lived in another state. We've only seen them once in the last ten months, but we Skype once or twice a week, sometimes more. They will be moving back into the immediate area soon, and I expect to see them often again.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

well...
Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 PM

my two oldest (5 and 3) live in Chicago about 7 hours away...in the summer I go for about a week in June, July and August...they come see us at Thanksgiving and we try hard to get together other times but it is hard.

My youngest is 4 months and lives an hour away...we see her about once a week. It is wonderful!!

I miss the two oldest grandkids a lot!!! I never miss my youngest grandchild.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-06-2015, 05:53 PM

We live 2 miles away from our grandchildren and have been babysitting them twice a week since they were born (they're both going to be in school full time this year and it's going to see very strange to not be babysitting during the day).

We get "can you watch them while we go to the gym?" texts and we'll send "can we have them for a couple of hours today?" texts. 90% of the time the answer is yes

DS & DIL also do weekends away at least twice a year and there are many, many family get togethers (my entire family lives in the area).

So, bottom line, we see them a lot!! And I'm very grateful
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Depends
Old 08-06-2015, 06:10 PM

Son #1 and family live 6 minutes away by car. I can see them whenever I want, but it's about once every week or two depending on the season. Sonny is an agronomist, so spring and fall, I pick them up from daycare several times a week and stay with them for an hour or two. Summers are busy, so I may only see them every couple of weeks.
Son #2 and family live 3 1/2 hours away. I try to see them once every three to four weeks. They don't come up often (he's on call every other weekend as a vet) and treasure the other weekends as a family. I try and go down on his on call weekends to see the kids and help out my DIL. Going down this weekend, in fact.
Son #4 and family live 14 hours by car away. I've driven out twice this summer, but am flying out in September again. They are coming out for Thanksgiving. I will try and get out there three or four times a year. It's going to be hard not being there like I am for the other grands. Luckily, little Mila has awesome grandparents only 20 minutes away.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Grandparents
Old 08-06-2015, 06:27 PM

Wow. Your children and grandchildren are so incredibly blessed to have involved grandparents. If they have never said thank you or even acknowledged how lucky they are, please let me do it for them.

((Thank you)))
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM

I don't have any biological grandchildren.

DH has two. They live 50 minutes away. We see them around Christmas when they pick up their gifts and a couple of times a year when they need a sitter and they bring the kids to our home.

For birthdays we mail gifts, but at Christmas we don't and that forces them to come see us. They moved to their current home four years ago and we have never been invited there. In the past we've offered to drop off gifts, but it's always "not convenient".

DH was divorced (she wanted the divorce) and then she died. Son in law believes that one is disrespectful to the deceased spouse if you remarry. Son in law does not approve of our marriage.
When the first child was born, son in law made sure to tell me that I am not his child's grandmother.

I do envy those with close relationships with their grandchildren.

marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

annalilbit

grandkids
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 PM

My grandchildren live one hour away-59 minutes too long, I see them once a week or every two weeks. I miss them as soon as I drive away. I will watch them anytime daughter will ask.
annalilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

visits
Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 PM

Well, we live on the opposite side of the world from the grandparents. So we physically see them once or maybe twice a year depending on whether they also come to us. But, when we fly back to visit, we are there 1-2 months (mostly at my mom's, but we also spend time at my in-laws).

We do Facetime with my mom almost every day. The time difference is such that as we are eating breakfast, she is going to bed and when she is eating breakfast, we are getting ready for dinner. We Facetime with my inlaws about once a week.

My brother, his wife and daughter live on the opposite coast as their parents. Sometimes they see them every other month and sometimes it is several months between visits.

When my DD was born, we lived in the same state--45 min from my mom and 2.5 hours from my inlaws. I'd drive out to my mom's house once a week and spend the night. With my inlaws, they'd either send me a message saying they needed grandkid time and when was good or I would email them about setting up a visit. We probably saw them twice a month.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 PM

I am one of the lucky ones. My granddaughter lives 25 minutes away. Over the summer I saw her about twice a week (mostly initiated by me) and during the school year on weekends. She will be a year old in Sept. and a new little brother or sister is now on the way. Very blessed.
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Grandkids
Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 PM

My grandkids live 2000 miles away, so i only see them a few times each year. Before they moved away, i saw them almost daily.
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

grandchildren
Old 08-07-2015, 03:37 AM

We see her once weekly all year. And I get to babysit my 4 year granddaughter ("Mee-maw, I'm not a baby so you Pre-K sit, not baby sit me" ) every Monday-she spends the night on Sunday all summer. It is so rewarding and so much fun!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyM

Grandchildren
Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 AM

My grandchildren live with us. Our daughter moved home and has been there for 9 years. Long story short, I have two beautiful grandchildren. Granddaughter is 13 and grandson is 2. As much as I love them, my husband and I are looking forward to an empty nest that stays empty. 😀 Our daughter is trying to get out on her own, but it has been difficult. She's on her way right now to a job interview hopefully paying better. 👍
SuzyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Wow...
Old 08-07-2015, 07:17 AM

My DD grandparents are very active senior citizens, and we see them...

Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, group birthdays twice during the year. It is only for day or two. They live three hours away. We stay at hotel, and pay for all our own stuff.

I used to take it personally, but they treat the other grands the same. They have grands four states over and see them every two years (?).

No interest in kid crap? My husband said they were born in the wrong era. They should have been during Victorian times when the help trotted the kids out for dinner and bed time.

I do send snail mail updates (light and cheerful, no whining). I had a complex about it earlier on wondering what I did wrong, but I don't believe I am that terrible. (I may whine about them here, but have never said anything to anyone else). My ILs are truly nice people. Everyone has their issues, but I would never consider not being involved.

Anyhoo, my friends say be lucky I can live my life with minimal interference. It's sad that my kid knows more about her teachers than her grandparents.

For the ones who are truly involved, when you adult kids b*tch about you, send them my way. I'll let them know about what is like to have grandparents only by name.

ETA: my sister's theory is they are both working artists, and artist and athletes are selfish as h*ll. I don't know. My husband and I are both artists, and don't act like that, but this theory has been mentioned more than once to me.

PS. I do love seeing all your Littles pictures. It gives gives me life.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Jule

I'm lucky
Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 PM

My six-year-old granddaughter comes for dinner every other Friday, goes home about noon on Saturday. Just long enough. Being a retired kindergarten teacher, my house is like paradise for her. I have books, manipulatives, white boards, magnetic everything, puzzles, art supplies. We always play school, I'm the teacher, but she tells me what to do. Every five minutes - time to pick student of the week - guess who it is every time.

I also meet her and my son for dinner once a week. I'm very grateful I get to see her so often. Since we have this regular schedule, I usually don't have to ask, but I will if there is something special I want to do with her. I also get asked occasionally to babysit at other times.
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

Elemteach22

Old 08-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Our grandkids live about a mile away. We see them almost everyday and they spend the night with us three to five times a week. Love our grands!
Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote