Kindergarten

Charlotte Danielson

>

MM123

Charlotte Danielson
Old 02-21-2016, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

My district has recently voted and decided to use the Danielson evaluation method. I teach Kindergarten, and while this year is not my evaluation year, I am still really nervous about being evaluated. Are there any Kindergarten teachers who have been evaluated using the Danielson method that could provide some pointers or advice? What type of lesson did they do? or what was there principal looking for? We have to create a binder as well for artifacts. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

MM123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you asking what lesson to do for admin to observe? Having CD hasn't changed my lessons, really. In my district, it has to be either math or ELA in the fall and the other one in the spring.

My advice is to really read the rubrics. Our 4 rubric has a point about students having a say in creating their own assessment, so I did make sure to include that, etc.

Does this help at all?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Danielson
Old 02-22-2016, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use it as well. I argued that some of it is geared toward older students. I didn't change anything in the way I teach. Don't stress yourself out. You'll probably get some 3's but in my experience, it doesn't change your overall score too much.

Familiarize yourself with the standards. Also, here is a link about artifacts. http://www.ode.state.or.us/wma/teach...artifacts.pptx
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

MM123

Old 02-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We were all told to expect 3's...with some 2's thrown in for good measure...and that no one will get a 4 unless they are truly exceptional. Quite an inspiring pep-talk!

My principal really doesn't understand Kindergarten, so that is also nerve-wracking. I am not really asking about a lesson you were evaluated on, rather just information regarding CD, as a Kindergarten teacher. I feel like Kindergarten is almost a separate entity, and this evaluation just does not seem Kindergarten "friendly."

Zia

Old 02-22-2016, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I feel like Kindergarten is almost a separate entity, and this evaluation just does not seem Kindergarten "friendly."
It isn't, which is why you need to "interpret" it for the assessors. Kinder is unlike any other grade level, and if your observer isn't early childhood, they won't know that they saw what they were looking for, if that makes sense?

I got a 3 on "Assessment in Instruction." I went over the rubric for a 4 and provided evidence of how I met it. This criteria, for example: involve students in establishing assessment criteria. My admin didn't "see" that, so I explained that in the writing group, I asked the kids, "What makes up a good sentence?" And they said "Start with an uppercase letter!" "Use spaces between words!" "End with punctuation!" And I wrote all that down and then they did their writing prompt. I explained to him that the kids were creating a rubric which fulfilled that criteria. And that that also provided me an on-the-fly assessment of which kids knew the conventions and which ones needed some more instruction.

I did that for every point on which I got a 3. And he changed those 3s to 4s and my observation became all 4s. This is what the Post-Observation Conference is for!

I also know, in my state anyway, observations and Domains 1 & 4 scores carry very little weight in our overall eval score. It's all about testing data!

Zia

Mm123
Old 02-22-2016, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
this year is not my evaluation year
How often are you evaluated? We get hit every year.

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Danielson has not changed what I do...just do what you normally do and as the previous poster said, look at the rubrics for a 4. Try not to do anything totally new, you'll be much more relaxed if you do something you know well. Try to pretend no one is watching and just concentrate on your students. The last time my principal came, she walked in the door just as a student lost a tooth, with blood gushing everywhere...I got the child set up with water to rinse/spit, put the tooth in a tooth necklace, at child's request (this is what she was most concerned with) I took time to put the child's name up on the tooth chart. Then I continued with the rest of the lesson. My principal taught primary and she and I had a good laugh afterwards.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MM123

Old 03-04-2016, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for the responses. Fortunately we are evaluated every other year. I don't think I would be as nervous if there wasn't so much focus on it. As my grade level partnered mentioned, they (meaning admin.) have successfully instilled the fear of Danielson in the hearts of the staff. Being told that no one is good enough to earn an excellent rating really affects your confidence. It is like telling a child that no matter how hard you work, you will always earn a "B" or "C" you'll never be good enough for an "A."