Help

The VENT

The Pros and Cons of a Portable

>

Teacher_twins

The Pros and Cons of a Portable
Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After being moved to a portable mid-year, here is a list of pros and cons of teaching in a portable:
Pros
Your own bathroom
Tons of windows
No one bothers you because they don't wanna walk
I get to control my own A/C

Cons
Even though I have a ton of windows, none of them have blinds
The whole thing shakes when you walk around or shut the door
It is far away so my kids are late more often
I forgot to turn on the heat last Friday, so I came in this morning (it was 30 here in N. FL) and my portable was a toasty 42 degrees inside (I eventually figured out how to turn the heat on and now it is 68)

Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 01-21-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree with those Pros. No one is going to just pop in.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm envious. I spent a few years in a portable. No bathroom. Only small high useless windows. A/C controlled by the district.

But it was true that no one bothered me because it was too far to walk.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Where is this heavenly portable of which you speak?? I've taught in several portables over the years and had a very different experience

Quote:
After being moved to a portable mid-year, here is a list of pros and cons of teaching in a portable:
Pros
Your own bathroom. Seriously?? I have never seen a portable with a bathroom. Bummer for me- that would be a nice plus.
Tons of windows One portable with no windows, one portable with two sides of open-air slats (this was in Hawaii)
No one bothers you because they don't wanna walk. Definitely the biggest plus, in my opinion. It was a huge plus in my first portable. Not as much in my second, since most of the classrooms in the small schools were portables set side-by-side in rows.
I get to control my own A/C A/C-- what's that? I've never had that in a house or a school (I did have a swamp cooler in one NM house, though)

Cons
Even though I have a ton of windows, none of them have blinds No blinds on my first portable b/c, well, no windows! The second one, the windows were just wooden slats, so if they were closed, there was no air flow.
The whole thing shakes when you walk around or shut the doorI experienced that in the first portable but not the second.. I guess the second was more of a "not-so-portable" actually
It is far away so my kids are late more often Somewhat true in the first portable. But it was just on the side of the playground, so no one was late from recess!
I forgot to turn on the heat last Friday, so I came in this morning (it was 30 here in N. FL) and my portable was a toasty 42 degrees inside (I eventually figured out how to turn the heat on and now it is 68) Brr! My Hawai'i room didn't have heat, and some mornings it was cold, but cold by Hawai'i standards is not cold by most standards. There must have been heat in the NM one (it was in the mountains- think snow and cold in the winter), but I don't remember being in control of it. I feel like I must have been, though!
Glad you're finding some positives. And you've learned a lesson about setting the heat, I guess! Enjoy your privacy and your bathroom!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Portables
Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I LOVED my portable. It did not have a bathroom or even a sink. We had a water delivery service. But no one ever came out unless I needed to pee. Yes, the ramp was noisy, but it was huge and, since it was kinder, we could make all the noise we wanted. And we could go outside any time we wanted.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Hammy6714

Old 01-21-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are some days I would do anything to be in a portable...away from the main building sounds like a dream!
Hammy6714 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I LOVED my portable. It did not have a bathroom or even a sink.
Ooh, I did have a sink in my second portable- that was awesome! No sink in the first one. But it wasn't a super long walk to the building and the bathroom was inside the door. By the time I left that building, they had 8 portables. They had 4 when I started.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Music teacher in portable
Old 01-22-2020, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our music teacher is in portable and it is great! He has had it for years. Like pps have said, he did not have window coverings. Solution: His wife made curtain for the windows.
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Portable
Old 01-22-2020, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had no bathroom when I taught in a portable. It wasn't fun for me or the kids to to walk into the main building in the pouring rain or on cold days.

Overall I liked it, however. The principal rarely stopped by to do informal observations, and other staff members didn't come by either. I could get a lot of work done and, if I wanted to socialize, I could go in the building and visit with people.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I was in a portable, I liked it at first. It was huge and the a/c was controllable by me. The down side was no bathroom. Our main building was very old and teachers did not have electronic access or keys. When a kid had a bathroom emergency we ALL had to trek down the sidewalk to the building and I had to beat on the back door to get the teacher at the end of the hall to let us in. She was always so nice about it, but I felt bad for all the interruptions. And even though, as others mentioned, no one bothers you way out in the "back forty" as I called it, it was very isolating. I couldn't just step out in the hall and ask another teacher for help or a bathroom break. I couldn't catch up on the latest news or funny stories, and I always felt out of the loop. I was glad to get back inside the building.

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

First three years
Old 01-23-2020, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My first three years were in a portable.

The first two in a single wide that had all the desks against the walls. Classes could enter the portable through the music room but we could not get back in. To get back in students and I had to exit through the door to the side walk and walk the sidewalk to the main entrance to be buzzed in.

Second portable, a double wide, was at the other end of the building and attached at the end of the hall. One side of the hall went up a ramp to the portable. This one was nice and new. I was only out there for a year before they moved the music teachers out there and I was in the old music room. Supposedly homeless people would pull back the skirting around it, crawl in under, and sleep.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote