Help

The VENT

So apparently today was instructional rounds

>

hikinghiker

So apparently today was instructional rounds
Old 01-23-2020, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and it was TERRIFYING. I had no idea anyone would be coming into my classroom.

At my last school, we had instructional rounds but teachers only saw the 'good' teachers, which had it's own problems since teachers were clearly labeled as 'good' and 'not worth watching' and everyone knew it from the lists of teachers getting observed during rounds.

This school apparently just goes to everyone. So about 20 minutes into the morning the AP came in with three other teachers and watched me for about 40 minutes. Which was terrifyingly stressful and I was going to set up I-pads while they were doing centers which I couldn't do since I was being watched.

Finally they left and I breathed a sigh of relief....for about 10 minutes and then the P came in with a few teachers and observed. And to make it worse, the P made suggestions to me in front of the other teachers. Which was embarrassing, even though the P is great and definitely didn't intend for it to be embarrassing and was being really kind.

I was doing blending and I said /er/ /ust/ for 'rust' and he told me I needed to fix the way I was saying /r/ which I totally get and I hadn't noticed since I was trying to really focus on the /r/ sounds so it was audible to the whole class. SO that kinda seemed like I didn't know letter sounds.

Then he just gave me a tip on how to present the worksheet which was a good tip but another critique so ugh.

Again, great P and all his advice was helpful and kindly given (so unlike my other P) but SUPER stressful and now I hope the P doesn't think I'm incompetent or something.

Now I'm crossing my fingers that they don't come in for math since I definitely did not make copies for today's math lesson and was just going to wing it.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Wow...
Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know these walkthroughs are supposed to be non-threatening and not necessarily evaluative, and contractually, administration can come through whenever they want, even when it is not a formal observation.

That being said, my school does these, as well. Luckily, even though the principal would tell us that these "guests" would be in the building, they did go to her favorite teachers whom she considered excellent. They never came to my room, although the superintendent would stick his head in and say hello on occasion.

My principal was also big into us visiting other classrooms to watch lessons. My previous principal before her was, too. With her, we were assigned to a group and had to watch specific teachers on a schedule. We had to write plans for a sub, creating more work for us. We were watched by a different group on a different day. I remember being very nervous, even though they were't there to pick apart the lesson and had to leave a positive note when it was over. I had rough classes my last couple of years and while you were not expected to do anything special, the unpredictability of my students' behavior and focus was stressful.

My last year of teaching, my principal put up some sort of chart in the Faculty Room. We were supposed to fill out when we were going to see another teacher. We were free to sign up to see anyone we wanted on our own time. Fortunately, no one chose to see me. One teacher wanted to, but I was able to shunt her off because I was retiring and it never was a good time. At least she asked me first. It was one time I was glad I was quiet and flew under the radar because I did not want these "requests". I was able to sign up to see a teacher I buddied classes with and never had to do any sort of write-up.

The suggestions from your principal, while well-meaning and constructive, were a disruption, and would have made me upset. In a perfect world, these visitations are good because it puts the administrators in touch with the classrooms and kids, but it also brings with it a set of stressors for many of us. I hope they did not return for math.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 01-23-2020, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím sorry you got, as we call it in my building, ďhit with roundsĒ. It is so stressful!! I canít imagine anyone doing any job getting so intensely observed enjoying that. I canít believe they were there for 40 minutes! Thatís crazy. In my district itís two twenty minute rounds. The past two years I was picked for rounds. I got out of both of them by sheer luck! Last year we got a snow day and rounds were canceled. This year I was picked but I was picked to also go to a math PD the same day. I was never so happy to have to go to PD.
Just breathe, itís over, and Iím sure you did better than you think.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

New to me
Old 01-23-2020, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iíve never experienced ďroundsĒ. In fact, I had my summative evaluation two years ago and was never formally observed that year. An administrator may have popped into my room once or twice for a minute or so. I havenít been observed since and my next summative is next year.
tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-23-2020, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district does a "principal's meeting" monthly where they go to different schools and all of the principals and district admin do walkthroughs as part of that. Luckily it's only 1-2 times per year at each school. Last time, the superintendent walked in during my planning time . My P didn't know my schedule and had scheduled super and crew to be in there at that time. So I got out of that one!

P has an upper level admin "mentor" that does walkthroughs with her on a pretty regular basis. I am always afraid when I see them in the hallway, but they never come in my room. In fact, I haven't had a single walkthrough this year. I can't say I mind it. I figure if anyone had concerns they'd be there.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Obs
Old 01-23-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh my gosh that is so intimidating. During my second year my P brought 4 visiting P's into my room and they stayed for an hour and a half. I took it as a compliment but it was still not an enjoyable experience.

Quote:
Which was embarrassing, even though the P is great and definitely didn't intend for it to be embarrassing and was being really kind.
Don't stress about this. Everyone makes silly mistakes sometimes and more so under pressure! One of my coworkers wrote 'cok' on her whiteboard instead of 'coke' during an observation once
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-23-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is so stressful! I've been in that situation before, but they never stayed for 40 minutes!! I totally understand feeling "corrected," but I'm sure the observers didn't think a thing. Remember that he was probably also trying to make himself look good in front of the other teachers.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow - I've never even heard of this. I'd be so stressed! I have people coming in and out of my room all the time, but it's never more than a few minutes. I can't imagine a group sitting there for over 40 minutes!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-23-2020, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My previous district did this, right before I found out I was being furloughed the superintendent came through with five superintendents from neighboring districts. He did this with everyone that was furloughed that year.

I was like thanks for the warning I would of had light refreshments and resumes waiting. Needless to say it didn't work because I'm now subbing.

To be fair the district routinely did walk-throughs on all teachers.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Superintendent Visit? Ha ha!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've been at my building for 27 years. In those years I can think of only two occasions for which the superintendent visited our school.

tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 01-25-2020, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My district calls them walk throughs. Any admin can visit your room and observe. We have two formal evaluations a year for tenured teachers and four for non tenured. The walk throughs are in addition to that. We are not notified and they can just walk in. We don’t get written feedback, but we are told the good and bad. I have only had a few because I’m teaching so long. Every admin has been positive to most teachers. If a teacher is not effective, that teacher will have a lot in a year. We can also have a member of the state education department walk through once every four years. Those days are stressful because they don’t tell you the school, they just show up so you have to be prepared and have the building, classrooms, plans and everything in tip top condition.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 01-26-2020, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have instructional rounds about 2-4 times a year. Those include our Super, the HS P, HS AP, the upper el P, and our own P.

Our P does informal walkthroughs 3-4 times a year, as well as 2 formal. She also just stops by sometimes when she has some free time.

A couple times a year our Super will drop in. He came by my classroom for about 10 minutes, just to observe.

Iím at the point where it mostly doesnít phase me.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote