Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub alert slow for anyone else?

>

Fractured

Sub alert slow for anyone else?
Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I tried it for the trial period because someone told me it will alert you to jobs in my district, which refuses to join Jobulator or anything else. Last night while refreshing Aesop constantly I noticed that subalert posts jobs about 3 to 4 minutes after they were posted on Aesop. Jobulator was also faster with posting the jobs, it goes up at the same time as Aesop posts it.

Has anyone done further research on this? It just seems like a waste to pay for if it wonít post jobs. The ones in the district I need go in seconds.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I joined both of them and they both worked almost exactly the same. I went with the one that didn't require a password when I answered the phone. I don't think they contact you before it's on AESOP, but it gives you a distinct advantage because it alerts you when something is posted on AESOP, especially if during the night, or something. I figured for a few dollars a month, it was worth it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 01-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tested out free trials of 3 different apps simultaneously. Some are definitely slower than others. You can also subscribe to more than one and try them out side by side for a month. Then choose the one you prefer. Aside from notification speed, some are better designed and make it easier and faster for you to pick up jobs.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-10-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks, I have jobulator and this one going at the same time. This one def posts slower. I only know because I was still constantly refreshing Aesop to get a job and it gave me the alert a good few minutes after I had seen it on Aesop. Iíll keep trying it, I just wish my district would agree to use one.

SubMan

Old 01-11-2020, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Jobulator is from Frontline the company behind Aesop so I would imagine that it would work better and faster than similar products.

I work in six districts and don't use any job finding aide. Most of my jobs come from teachers I have previously subbed for and done a good job. The rest come from checking Aesop during lunch and planning periods when I don't have coverage.

An advantage of working in multiple districts is the opportunity to make extra money. For example, this year, four of the six districts had off on Jan 2nd and 3rd. I subbed both days. At the end of the year the four districts will go longer than the two so I have additional money making opportunities.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 01-11-2020, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use Sub Alert myself. It's been a while, so I don't recall why I chose it over Jobulator or the others (there are 5 or 6 that I'm aware of).

I prefer to download the phone app and get my notifications via the phone app. I like Sub Alert's app. It's easy to use, has the features I want, and is among the least expensive too.

The thing is that with any of these apps, even after the app notifies you (no matter how quickly it does that), you still have to go through a few maneuvers to actually view and accept the job. There's the rub. For this part, some are more clumsy and time consuming than others.

I also like to be able to view all my scheduled jobs and access mapquest navigation to the sites via the same app (I work at many schools in a very large district). Not all apps provide for this. The apps vary in price too. Some charge nearly twice as much, not sure why. (I'm happy to pay $5 per month, but I believe $12 per month is a bit too pricey.)

I'm not sure what you mean by schools "joining" Jobulator. Do some districts actually pay for an app? I believe the apps are designed to electronically login to AESOP every few seconds in order to identify updates to job postings.

I don't know whether AESOP allows you to be continually logged in, but it does allow apps to electronically log in.

I have, however, worked for districts that (unfortunately) use SmartFind Express instead of AESOP. SmartFind (or "Don'tFind", as I fondly refer to it...lol) is designed so that job finder apps cannot be used at all! SmartFind does not allow you to be continuously logged in, and it does not allow electronic logins via apps. In order to access new jobs, you have to keep SmartFind open and keep re-logging in. It's ridiculous and time consuming! That makes life that much more difficult for a sub because it's harder to find and take jobs.

Don't know why any district would want to discourage subs from taking jobs (?!) Fortunately, very few districts use SmartFind Express. As for me, I voted with my feet and stopped working for those districts!

Read more at: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...reply&t=628740
Copyright © ProTeacher (proteacher.net)

bodhimom

Old 01-11-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use Sub Alert. I'm happy with it. It's only $6.95 a month. Even if I only get one job a month with it, it is worth it.

I gave up dealing with the passwords. If I get a call, I just look it up on AESOP, where my password is saved.

A benefit of working at just one school is that the secretary calls me a lot because I'm always available. I like knowing a lot of the people, too. I like that connection. I miss that from being a teacher.

Really big benefits of working at two districts was that their pay periods were 2 weeks apart, so I got paid every two weeks. That was great! Getting paid once a month is hard, when you are a daily worker. Also, they had different break schedules, so that helped.

I agree with Luv2teach in that I don't think districts "join" jobulator. I also agree that Smartfind sucks. It is a pain in the butt and don't know why any district would use it. It must be cheaper.

1. Subfind makes you click on different"pictures," to sign in. The pictures are terrible so you have to do it several times, to get it "right," every time you log in.

2. Subfind, a lot of the time, will only let you see jobs available for that day, or maybe the next day. You can't see open jobs in the future. Why? Why can't I see all of the available jobs? What's with that?

3. Subfind sucks lol. I love AESOP. If you work at multiple districts, they are all on AESOP, so you won't be offered a job at one district, if you have already taken a job at a different district. I can't say enough about it.

Fractured

Old 01-11-2020, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is long, because my situation is odd due to severe factors.
So, I only know this because I have been in contact with the office in my district. Unfortunately, districts do have to approve their ability to be used by the jobulator app, since that is a product of Aesop. Basically a scam, making subs pay out of pocket to get jobs. We have a union and they wanted the district to cover the cost of using the apps, and they refused, so no jobs appear on jobulator. And I hate this because it is a large district and pays more and I do most of my work there. Hence, my only option was to keep refreshing for hours on my phone on a browser, and it will kick you out after a certain period of time.

I like jobulator because it shows multiple jobs at once. Subfinder is one at a time and you to click to see what’s available. I imagine it just mirrors the Aesop page and that is why the jobs are slower to appear as someone suggested.

I can understand the position on the union but I’d rather just pay the money as you get one job and it “pays for itself.” Of course the people doing the negotiations don’t actually have to sub, so why would they care?

Office admin don’t call out or ask people for jobs. It is all done through teachers and Aesop. I have had some sects call or text me but that is for bad schools that can’t get anyone. Are you guys in smaller districts? I am basically in a cutthroat district. There are way more people with my license( and subs in general)than there are for jobs that people want. I have some networking connections, but there are so many teachers and subs it’s hard to get known. Like if you were a student teacher and your mentor liked you, you will become the go to sub if you didn’t get hired, so most jobs never even appear to the sub pool. Lots of retired or part time teachers take all the rest. hs depts also have their own clique of preferred subs and it’s like the high school lunch room, you’re locked out if you’re not “in.” I’m left with jack sh*t and I hate it. I will refresh a job and if I don’t click on it right away it’s gone. Sometimes if I keep trying I’ll get the job even though it says job has already been filled. It’s a nightmare.

luv2teach2017

Old 01-11-2020, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Fractured...are you sure your district is on AESOP? Sounds like it's SmartFind Express, which is the absence management system I discussed in a previous post. SmartFind Express blocks jobulator, sub alert, and all the other job finder apps used by subs.

Fractured

Old 01-11-2020, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

No, they are definitely in Aesop, they post the jobs there, but it is the only way to get them.

Nietzsche

SubAlert/Jobulator
Old 01-14-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There is some misinformation in this thread. I've been running both Jobulator and SubAlert since last year. I'm also running a desktop version of Jobulator, which they stopped providing. It runs on an old computer that the operating system can't be upgraded. I'm also running Jobulator on a notepad. What I can tell you is none of these is faster than the others as far as alerting you to a job. They all go off at different times. What is strange is there is sometimes a minute or two delay between alerts.

If I had to pick between SubAlert and Jobulator, I would give s slight nod to SubAlert. It does a better job of sorting jobs by date. It also has a "push" capability. This means you get an alert on your phone and you can accept the job directly from the alert. Jobulator does not have that capability and is sometimes slow to open after you get an alert.

Jobulator has a few minor advantages. One is your get notifications about jobs that are cancelled or modified. Jobulator has a calendar, which is nice to see what days you are available, non-workdays, or are scheduled. It also has the number of jobs available.

Regarding some of the other comments here, many of these are specific to individual school districts and/or schools. I've subbed for a dozen districts and all have used Aesop except one. I used Jobulator with all of the districts that used Aesop. Most of the time, teachers or secretaries do not contact me. There are exceptions. I have one teacher who calls or texts me at least once a month and wants me to teach a specific topic. A secretary in another district is very aggressive as far as filling jobs and will ask if I'm available or text me to see if I'm available. In most cases, however, the teacher and schools don't really care who takes the job. One district will not let secretaries put subs in the job and it must go on Aesop. Most districts have given up on getting a person certified in that subject. Their attitude is they would rather have a warm body.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-15-2020, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

So whatís the misinformation then? This district Iím in doesnít use any official apps.

bodhimom

Old 01-15-2020, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was wondering that, myself.

Nietzsche

Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Are you saying your district uses Aesop but doesn't use Jobulator or SubAlert?

luv2teach2017

Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Districts don't use these apps. You as a sub can subscribe to a job finder app of your choice...(there are a few other apps besides jobulator and sub alert. ) However, the absence management system used by the district must be set up to allow for digital logins via the apps. AESOP allows digital logins. But SmartFind Express (which isn't widely used) does not.

Some districts don't want subs to use these apps. They claim it's because subs should not have to pay for the service. Why should the district care? I believe it's because subs who have the apps can view all jobs immediately after they are posted and quickly pick up jobs they prefer. Having an app gives subs a lot more control.

Fractured

@Nietzsche
Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes, so the union prohibits the district from joining Jobulator. When I emailed them asking if there were any apps I could use, they did not endorse anything. Subalert just seems to mirror Aesop.

Nietzsche

Fractured
Old 01-15-2020, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

See the post above. luv2teach2017's post is accurate. The district does not join Jobulator or any other app. Why don't you just get a trial of these apps and see how they work.

And yes these apps just mirror Aesop. What else could they do? What I pointed our earlier is since I'm getting multiple alerts, I rarely lose out on a job. I think someone has beat me to a job mayber 3 times this school year.

Fractured

Old 01-15-2020, 10:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Okay, the way my union reps and sub office talked, they all made it seem like Jobulator was directly linked to Aesop, as in it was an app that made them extra money. There was never talk of any other app, hence the mix up. It doesn’t really matter anyway.

I have jobulator and I’m running Subalert on a trial. Sometimes one goes off before the other. Subalert will often tell me that the Aesop board is overloaded and won’t post new jobs when I refresh, another reason why I thought it was an “unofficial app.” I prefer jobulator but I guess I’m stuck if I want alerts from this district.

As for jobs, they get picked up in seconds, even if you are on Aesop. I lose jobs all the time after clicking on alerts. It’s tough where I am.

bodhimom

Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I think maybe the confusion is that one district said they don't "endorse" any of them. That doesn't mean they aren't allowed, maybe just that they don't endorse one over another.

luv2teach2017

Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Yep...I agree...a union or district won't endorse any commercial job finder app. But they don't prohibit you from subscribing and using an app.

There are by the way a couple of others: SubSideKick and SubAssistant. You can get free trials on these as well. They work with AESOP just like the others.

If you are experiencing fierce competition for jobs in your district, the problem isn't the app. Sounds like your district has too few jobs and too many subs. Can you sign up with another district?

Fractured

Old 01-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My sub office seems useless for advice anyway on any matter. They didn’t
use the word endorse. I did straight up ask them if there were any apps that would alert me to jobs and they didn’t give me an answer. Maybe they have to say that, I’m not sure.

As for districts, I’m in 8 or 9. 3 provide enough jobs most of the year, if you’re willing to take some crappy jobs. I do prefer the one that pays the most and is the closest, as does everyone else. I’ve said it before, but retired teachers have no cap on days they work and they work their old schools and take the long term sub jobs. Or it’s former student teachers. Everyone else pretty much is left to fend for last minute jobs at all hours. No joke, jobs will pop up at 2 am and they are gone as soon as the sub alert hits.

Nietzsche

Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
Fractured's Message:

Okay, the way my union reps and sub office talked, they all made it seem like Jobulator was directly linked to Aesop, as in it was an app that made them extra money. There was never talk of any other app, hence the mix up. It doesnít really matter anyway.

I have jobulator and Iím running Subalert on a trial. Sometimes one goes off before the other. Subalert will often tell me that the Aesop board is overloaded and wonít post new jobs when I refresh, another reason why I thought it was an ďunofficial app.Ē I prefer jobulator but I guess Iím stuck if I want alerts from this district.

As for jobs, they get picked up in seconds, even if you are on Aesop. I lose jobs all the time after clicking on alerts. Itís tough where I am.
These apps can check the Aesop servers up to once a minute. That means you may never even see a job that has been posted because someone else saw it 59 seconds ago and accepted it. Or you may get the alert and it is gone by the time you try to accept it. Running both apps should double your probability of accepting a job. As I mentioned earlier, I have 4 apps running when I'm at home. Sometimes my desktop Jobulator signals a job and and by the time I refresh the app on my phone the job is gone. I find that I have better luck with SubAlert due to the way it "pushes" the notification. I can directly accept the job from the alert, which I can't do with Jobulator. This may work differently on other phones. I'm using an Android (Pixel).

I have also seen the message on SubAlert that the Aesop server is overloaded. I think it says to try again in a minute, but I can usually refresh right away and not have to wait a minute. I have also experienced both applications being slow to open.

Fractured

Old 01-16-2020, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Wow, four apps? Thatís a lot. It is that competitive where you are to get jobs?

If I see the Aesop overloaded thing, I just go directly to the Aesop site. Either way, sounds like we spend too much time on this bs.

luv2teach2017

Old 01-16-2020, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Quote:
Either way, sounds like we spend too much time on this bs.
Lol...you're probably right about that.

I'm lucky I guess. I use only one app...Sub Alert...and work for only one district these days. I do have to monitor the job alerts but am generally able to get the kinds of jobs I prefer and work every day.

(Btw: I've worked for various local districts and was at one point using two apps. )

Nietzsche

Old 01-16-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Quote:
Fractured's Message:

Wow, four apps? Thatís a lot. It is that competitive where you are to get jobs?

If I see the Aesop overloaded thing, I just go directly to the Aesop site. Either way, sounds like we spend too much time on this bs.
I'm running Jobulator on an old desktop at home, on a notepad, and on my phone. I'm running both Jobulator and SubAlert on my phone. I try to mostly do social studies jobs. Most of the better jobs are gone in a few seconds. There are lots of floater jobs available right now for IEP meetings and state testing. I rarely do floater jobs.

Fractured

Old 01-16-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Yeah, I try to stick to high school only. It kind of limits me but I havenít had to do ms so far.