Help

Substitute Teachers

One benefit of being removed from a job

>

subasaurus

One benefit of being removed from a job
Old 01-13-2020, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just got cancelled on for a job I scheduled last night.

Usually I get super "triggered" when that happens. Not gonna lie. Stinks to get all ready for work and then find out you could have slept in.

And usually I'm angered that I'm missing out on a paycheck. (Well, that part still stands.)

But today I'm actually relieved... I get to take care of a car appointment that I needed to schedule for months! Plus, I definitely loathe subbing for math. (But that's a different tale.)

Here's the bad news...

It's probably the stupid transmission that's screwed up. So it ain't gonna be a cheap or quick repair. Not sure if substitute teacher pay will cover the entire bill. Lol.

Side note: I'm currently staring at all the numerous unfilled jobs for the morning, wondering what people like "Ms. Anonymous" at that same school are going to do about their unfilled 6th grade, Art, and SPED aide jobs.

Second side note: My packed lunch is still sitting in the fridge, and it's happy to not have to deal with the "no refrigerator" situation that would have occurred while sitting in an overheated classroom.

Anyway, I'll leave you all with some solidarity.

Stay strong all you subs out there. Never give up. Remember, this job really stinks sometimes and can be thankless. Don't expect much sanity and be careful out there. The media hates us. But don't take subbing too seriously, as it doesn't always take US seriously.

Last edited by subasaurus; 01-13-2020 at 05:44 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-13-2020, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sending you +++ thoughts that the stupid transmission isn't as stupid as you think it might be, or at least not horribly expensive.

I was nodding my head as I read your post. Yep, I also loathe teaching [fill in the blank], as well as relieved because now I can take care of [fill in another blank].

Thank you for the pep talk at the end, subasaurus. We get by with a little help from our friends.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-13-2020, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good luck with everything! Especially the car trouble, that can really be a pain.

I didn't get any work today either, but I just took the day off. Felt really good to just have a day with no kids and no holiday stuff either. Just a day to myself. I try not to think about the missed pay part or I go crazy.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-13-2020, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Several times when I have been removed from a job Iíve gotten another job at a closer, better paying district. It doesnít happen often but Iíve been removed from jobs when Iím in the parking lot of the school. Iíve been tempted to go in but Iím not a good actor. I wonder what they would do if a sub cancelled on them 5 minutes before they were to report?
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@mooba1
Old 01-14-2020, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the pep talk at the end, subasaurus. We get by with a little help from our friends.

Any time, my friend.

And I like The Beatles/Joe Cocker reference

Also, I hope the car stuff doesn't make me go bankrupt.

I appreciate the tea and sympathy.

subasaurus

@subman
Old 01-14-2020, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wonder what they would do if a sub cancelled on them 5 minutes before they were to report?

Unless it was an emergency, they'd most certainly ban us for life.

luv2teach2017

Old 01-14-2020, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
don't take subbing too seriously,
Good advice...thank you. I'm trying to lighten up a bit these days.

Job cancellations can definitely be a blessing. I recently got yanked off a 2 week job after the 3rd day due to a petty complaint. After getting over the initial shock, I actually was relieved. The kids were half wild in class, and I was having to serve crosswalk duty after school on a very busy street.

I've since had no problem picking up other jobs at better schools. No crosswalk duty. ☺

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 01-14-2020 at 01:35 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-14-2020, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

^ Crosswalk duty on a busy street, and being let go after the third day over a petty complaint. What the hell. This is why substitutes need to form a union.

Glad you got something better. 2 weeks here wouldn't even begin to net long term pay, so I'd be relieved to be out of that situation as well
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 01-14-2020, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
This is why substitutes need to form a union.
Amen to that! I wonder if there's any limit to the bad treatment we have to endure!

Even school cafeteria workers have unions in some places. Why not substitute teachers?

Anyway, sometimes a cancelled job can be a blessing in disguise.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-15-2020, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I was having to serve crosswalk duty after school on a very busy street.
That's one thing I haven't done as a sub!

Closest I've come to that is wearing an ill fitting (too small) yellow and blue smock while on cafeteria duty.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-15-2020, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a union, from everything you guys talk about, you should look into forming one. I believe it was created by the local teacherís association, or they at least helped get it started.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueSea

Old 01-17-2020, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm a good substitute teacher. I want to sub where I'm valued and needed. I don't believe in pushing myself in places where I'm not appreciated because I will be treated poorly. Subbing jobs get canceled for many reasons, and it comes with the job. I have to remind myself of that when a job gets canceled. Substitute teaching is so vague that I sometimes worry why a job got canceled. I do my best with each job I get, but it's not the type of job where I can always look my best. I can't prepare and grow with the job. More likely than not, I can grab a job the same day in the morning, but I rarely grab last minute jobs. I don't like the feeling of being thrown into an unknown classroom. Like you, I make those days useful for me. Job cancelations only sting for three reason for me. The job gets canceled at a time when most jobs are already taken for the next day. I found out it was for a favorite substitute teacher, and the opportunity to do great job was taken away. Finally, job cancelation while I'm at the school and placed in a situation that's not the best experience for me.
BlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote

bagano1

Old 02-18-2020, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If you honestly try your hardest and you run into a psycho teacher who cancels on you, rest assured, you're not alone! This person probably has ludicrously high standards and is difficult, hates you for some reason, like prejudice or even because say, you're a man, something like that. No surprise, if you ever sit in on many classes, you're going to hear students say, "No one likes that teacher."

It happens a lot. I can't respond, but I just smile.
bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote