Help

Substitute Teachers

I don't want to manage your class too

>

snazzyjazzy

I don't want to manage your class too
Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a regular sub at one elementary school. The district is awesome but doesn't pay very well so it is hard to keep subs. The district is small (4 schools) and hires 100-200 new subs each year. There is a sub (mother to a student at this school-probably mid 30's) that is always asking other subs how to handle "discipline" problems. Most of the time they are super basic common sense solutions such as "Joey is tapping his pencil, what do I do" or "Suzy wants to sit in a particular chair, should I let her". She will take things you say and twist them. She has been subbing since November.

One of the 2nd grade teachers has been out for several days (her husband is in the ICU) and her class has had several different subs. I was teaching another second grade class and my students were working in stations. I was working with a small group. The sub comes in and tells me that she needs my help right away, its an emergency. Her class is down the hall from mine. I ask what is wrong and she tells me that a student is being defiant. I ask her if the student is being disruptive or physically aggressive. She replies that he wasn't but she couldn't handle him. I told her to call the office (only 1 admin out if three was on campus and behavior was crazy so that admin was running all over the school). She calls the office and the principal's secretary brought me a drink and candy and asked if she could bring the student into my class because she didn't have anyone else to ask (entire grade level was out for training and everyone else was a new sub). I told her sure but I didn't want him to disrupt my class. I had the child for 3 hrs and he was awesome. I took him to lunch with my class and and the sub wanted to know how I kept him under control. She didn't believe that I didn't have problems since he was so difficult with her. She told me thanks for taking her difficult student off her hands.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-23-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd say that mom-sub wants to be seen as a fantastic sub who is deserving of a classroom and doesn't want to let the school/district know she is having problems. What would happen if she were to have a classroom and have troubles like you mention; would she still expect subs to take a student (or 2 or 3) for a portion of the day? I have worked in districts where the go-to plan was to send a student to another teacher's room for part of the day to avoid a referral to the office.

I have experienced something similar; there is a mom-sub who gets to leave early to pick up her kids at a school in another district. She drops off her students in another classroom with a sub and then leaves to pick up her children. Must be nice, there is no discussion or thanks on the part of this sub, she just sends the students and walks out the door.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

snazzyjazzy
Old 01-23-2020, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I bet you create a friendly and warm classroom atmosphere with clear expectations, no chaos, and no question that you are the boss. Little Mr. Defiant feels safe, secure, respected, and sees no need to act up in your room. It would be great if they'd pay you to teach new subs the ropes!

It made me laugh that the secretary brought you candy and a drink!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Just a thought...
Old 01-23-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is not a judgement regarding this specific post or situation, but one reason a sub asks questions is to avoid responsibility. If the situation turns worse, they can say they did what they were told by the person they asked. And you can bet they left a lot of facts out when the asked you the question.

I think itís important to avoid the trap... I want be helpful so I donít readily give an answer thatís straight up. If I have time I ask a lot of questions, most of which require thinking on the part of the advice seeker. Best case scenario is they start thinking... worst case scenario is they find somebody else to bother.

It sounds cruel at first but itís something to think about. We do it with kids all the time.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote