Help

The VENT

She moved my stuff

>

newbie17

She moved my stuff
Old 01-25-2020, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So this might sound petty and maybe I'm overreacting but I was out sick one day this week and when I got back my sub had moved/organized my classroom. People, I about died when I walked back in.

Now I will admit my "system" of organization is organized chaos, but I know exactly where everything is in my classroom. My desk was presentable when I left, meaning any extra papers or things I use daily but a sub wouldn't need were on the long side of the desk and out of the way (I have an L shaped desk) but the part that is used was perfect. She moved all of my stuff on the long part of my desk, and my back counter and she gave the kids work she found around the room?!

I write the most detailed lesson plans imaginable...seriously, I have presented PD on making plans and helped train new teachers on this! I teach resource so there are tons of transitions. I leave the student's work with their names already written on them, arranged in order of when they arrive in my class. There is a morning stack and an afternoon stack. Every single child has enough work to last the amount of time they were in my room yet she had to give them stuff she found???

I'm sure this lady was just trying to help by organizing and probably cleaning (I keep the room pretty clean though), but still I'm bothered by this. Would any of you be upset if you walked into this situation in your room?

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I’ve had subs actually re-arrange the furniture before now.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I'd be bummed if I couldn't find
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

something, but I'd assume she was trying to "tidy up" and be helpful.
It is so hard to find subs where I work. They often do not have time to read detailed lesson plans. Some may not fully understand.
If she used all of the copies you gave her, it is possible that some kids got done, and she glanced around for extra work. I know when I have subs, I do the same w/ names on packets.
The kids usually do a really fast crappy job on the packet and probably announce they are done. Some of my best writers would write a paragraph as opposed to 5 paragraph essay when there was a sub. Papers would be messy and if graded an F when normally they could write A+ work.
The sub never knew what they were capable of so 1 poorly written paragraph may have been seen as OK by her. I cut subs a lot of slack because they are walking into the unknown. I don't like it at all though if subs allow chaos to ensue.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-25-2020, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

it drives me berzerk when my plans aren't followed! (that means not doing what i've left and doing something i didn't leave.)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-26-2020, 12:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hate when that happens! If I visit someone's house, I don't rearrange their stuff! That was not her room to change.

I have had a sub give a test out as busy work because he said he couldn't find any other work and I didn't leave enough. He hadn't actually done ANYTHING on my plan. Then he saw me a few days later and told me I didn't leave enough. I was SO confused, since he didn't do anything I asked and gave a test I was going to give the next day. I leave all the materials and lesson plans all on a stool in the front of the room, and tell the subs NOTHING is on the desk, please leave the desk alone (organized chaos only I understand). Most were good at seeing what I left (and my plans are pretty detailed).

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Sub
Old 01-26-2020, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is completely inappropriate for her to rearrange your classroom. I would be really mad about that and not have her sub for me anymore.

When I was teaching I always left simple, easy to follow plans. I knew that anything detailed or complicated would be too much for a sub to follow. It made my life easier because sub plans didn't take too long to put together, and it made things simpler for the sub too.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-26-2020, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My Co-teacher is one of the best teachers I have ever know. She is very "organized chaos". She has piles and stacks, but she knows where everything is.

She had a sub who cleaned her desk once. The sub made folders for her and organized the folders by topic in abc order. The sub then send an email to my co-teacher saying that she doesn't understand how she can work in such a mess and explained the "New" organization system.

That sub never subbed in our school again.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllyTeaches

Old 01-26-2020, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would've been annoyed. My desk is very neat, but I have things in certain places where I need them. I get confused when things are not where I left them.

I'd put a note in my folder kindly saying what you said above, like "I have a method to organizing my room. Please do not move the papers or other materials."

This has not happened to me. I'm hardly ever absent, but I've had good subs when I'm gone... or we can't get subs, so I have a tutors from our school who knows the kids. That's ideal for me if not for them.
EllyTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Sub Issue
Old 01-26-2020, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh I’d be pretty upset by that. Like many teachers, I have quite a b do paperwork and stuff that is just mine. And I know where everything in my classroom should be. If I came back and it was “messed up,” I’d probably have a cow. At least a little one.

When I was a push-in EL teacher, I once provided support in a fourth grade classroom right after lunch three days a week. The sub brought the kids back from lunch and explained they were skipping math today. Instead, she had gone out on her lunch to buy ziploc bags, because she thought their materials were so messy. She had them put everything in ziplocs. And put their pencil pouches in a milk crate.

Turned out she donated them to the center across the street. The teacher was shocked. The sub never returned.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

It’s not you
Old 01-26-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would have been royally hacked off. Even if she had good intentions, she’s still a guest in your room and she should leave things the way she found them.

Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Never acceptable
Old 01-26-2020, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

to rearrange a teacher’s classroom. On the very rare occasion I have to move anything, I try to make sure I put it back right where it was. I’ve subbed in some rather messy classrooms, but I just work around things. As subs, we are guests in teachers’ classrooms. Some of us would do well to remember that.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-26-2020, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yikes, the rearranging would definitely bother me. I could understand it, maybe, for a long term sub position (more than a couple weeks), but not for a daily sub! That's strange.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

She moved my stuff
Old 01-26-2020, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Maybe, hopefully, she thought she was being helpful.

However, if you left her a full day’s work, which you did, and she followed your lesson plans, she shouldn’t have had time to move stuff around.

I’d be annoyed, too. Put everything back where you like it, and, as other poster recommended, leave a permanent note in sub folder politely asking them to leave your piles alone.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 01-26-2020, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If a sub is there for more than a week, I could forgive minimally rearranging some things. Otherwise, hands off! It can be hard to get subs in my school, so I give some wiggle room, but moving my stuff around? Uh, NO.

I would reach out to the sub and ask her why she chose to hand out certain things, rearrange things, etc. Politely tell her to not do that in classrooms, as every teacher has his/her own way of organizing things.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I'm shocked that a sub would do that.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've never had one do anything like that. I have come back a few times and found my room pretty trashed with nothing picked up but most of the time it's been fine.

When I sub, I will sometimes do a little organizing if I'm sure it won't mess with the teacher's system. I might do things like untangle headphone cords, organize things like crayons and markers if it's clear that there IS a system and it's just gotten messed up. I would never rearrange furniture or interfere with piles of paper. I have, on one occasion, scrounged for work to give but that was a situation where a teacher was out for weeks and they didn't get a LTS for her but just put various subs in the room, day after day, with no lesson plans. In that situation, I figured if they got mad and didn't call me again, I was probably okay with that.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 01-26-2020, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I subbed for about 4 years before making the leap into my own class. I never rearranged teachers things! I didn’t even dump out moldy coffee cups left on desks! I had the plans left and the pile of work and that was it. Plus when I subbed I was helping students. I didn’t sit at the desk. Why so much time to clean and organize? I guess that is why I made the leap to my own class, I want to teach not clean.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Right to be upset
Old 01-26-2020, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You have a right to be upset. I’m hoping that she moved some things so she could work with students, but that’s not always the case. We have some paras that come into my office (I share with 4 other teachers) to eat lunch at a table we have in there. That is fine, but when I came in to do my planning at my desk, they had taken my chair! Not only did they do that, but they took my coat off the back of my chair and tossed it on my desk, knocking over my mug of tea. I walked over to them, asked for my chair and had them replace the 4 other teacher chairs as well. I love the paras, but was very hurt that they just flung our stuff around and helped themselves to our belongings. I would be really upset if it were a sub that I didn’t have a relationship with.

You are well within your rights to be upset about this. Here’s hoping you find everything.
teabreak is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have never had a sub rearrange the paperwork and folders on my desk, but my desk is clean. I do not leave extra papers, folders, books, etc on my desk. I keep a small file cabinet next to my desk and every thing goes in there each night before I leave and the papers/copies needed for next day are set out. There wouldn't be anything out for the sub to reorganize, unless she rearranges my teacher manual book case. I am over-organized and a little OCD. I know its my problem.

However, I did come back once and the furniture was moved. The student desks had been moved so the seating arrangement was changed, not just for one or two kids but the entire class was move. The furniture in the reading area was put on the other side of the room and the group table was moved to the back corner near the door.

Last edited by all41; 01-26-2020 at 02:41 PM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yeah, I'm not a fan of someone deciding that they have a better idea of how to rearrange my things. I know where things are and don't appreciate the expectation that I should comply with their standards.

I'm uber-organized and spend time putting things exactly where I think is best. My cleaning ladies rearrange things from time to time and it's a bit irritating. I tell myself it's not a big deal but please stick to arranging your own stuff and stay out of my things.

I get why your upset, newbie17.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 01-26-2020, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Wow! Gone for a day and she's reorganizing! I'd be ticked too.
Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-26-2020, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

When I was a student teacher I had a sub re-do a bulletin board that I had created. My coop was out for PD so I spent the day observing in other classrooms. Students told me she did it while she was teaching.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Sub moved items
Old 01-26-2020, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I would be upset as well. It is your space & your organized “chaos”. She had no right moving your things
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Yeah, that is definitely not cool. I try to never move anything. I certainly never touch any papers on a desk. I was recently in a room and the teacher had records stacked on top of the microwave. I was really tempted to put them upright as they get warped that way( and shouldn’t be by a microwave) or at least write them a note about it, but I figured it wasn’t my business.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-27-2020, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

BTDT,! When this happened to me I marched right up to the office and said if that sub ever came into my room again you could consider that my resignation notice! I never did see that woman in the building again!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote