Help

Third Grade

Gap between 2nd and 3rd

>

teacherhobby

Gap between 2nd and 3rd
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There seems to be a huge gap between 2nd grade and 3rd. Grades fall, parents complain, etc. Anyone else have this problem or suggestions to help fix it?

teacherhobby is offline   Reply With Quote

picturetaker

I wish!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I see the gap getting wider with each year!! Especially this year...I'm teaching 5th.

I think we just have to keep doing what we are doing. Holding kids and parents accountable together. We are a team. I try to keep POSITIVE parent communication but also keep a reality on how their child is doing. A lot of my parents say they are doing such and such--but I can tell they do not know how to help their child (children) or they just do not follow through. I teach special education so some of my parents struggle with learning, too.

If they cannot do grade level work, their grades will fall. Is it effort? Motivation? What are your parents complaining about?
picturetaker is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachtoScrap

Old 02-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 3rd grade in TX. For years the state has called the leap from 2nd to 3rd "a year of transition". It is an ENORMOUS leap curriculum wise. Within the past couple of years efforts are being made to close that gap. They are beefing up the lower grades curriculum. I think it seems to be working. My kids are coming to me as a whole better readers.

It is tough to be the first testing grade too. There is a lot we have to get them used to: format, stress of testing...besides the academic part.
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Peppermint Pa

agree
Old 02-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree! at our school there is an enormous transition from 2 to 3. Parents complain saying well last year Johnny made all A's why not this year?? I think n 3rd there is a big leap -- if they are still struggling with addition/subtraction then we hit them with m/d .. We start this year with end of year testing for 2 nd , I think this will give us a better idea of where they really are coming in.
Peppermint Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I explain to parents that it's the year they from learning to read to reading to learn. The content gets richer and more challenging. Children are going from primary to intermediate (and the expectations and independence that goes along with that) and it's the first year they're testing. I explain it's a transition year and it's takes students anywhere from weeks to months to adjust, that it's perfectly normal. I also tell them the best way to help is to make sure they're checking assignment books, making sure homework gets done and students are reading every night. I tell parents there WILL be drop in grades in the first trimester and not to freak out about it. It will level off in the second trimester.

I think that explaining it helps parents.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Third Grade Transition
Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Grayhound Girl- Thanks. I love the reading to learn now, rather than learning to read. I will be using that.

I also tell my students and parents that third graders are starting the second half of elementary. They are the "big guys" now.

We have buddy classes at our elementary and this is their first year to be the big buddy, rather than little buddy. Third and kinder partner up. Fourth and first grade work together. Plus fifth and second team up. The third graders really enjoy being big buddies for the first time.

We do not have as big an issue with grades as it is the first year in our district to receive letter grades. In kinder through second they use S for satisfactory and E for excellent....

I also ask my third graders frequently, "Who is responsible for your learning?". They learn that the correct answer is, "I am." It is time to grow up and accept personal responsibility for their education.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I find that what often occurs in3rd is that for those kids who were early readers and who haven't experienced as many challenges, now they are presented with them, and some don't know how to handle it.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Daphne333

there's a huge gap
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Both our math and reading curriculums have huge gaps. In 2nd their tests have large print and pictures for both reading and math. In 3rd there are no pictures, tiny font and huge passages for reading. The kids freak out the 1st time they see a test. We usually do the first 3-4 tests together. Their scores are usually horrible the 1st quarter.
Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachjam

gap for2-3
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have a math coach who has helped the 2ndgr beef up their program by adding more math curriculum to add levels for proficiency to help 3rd grade.
teachjam is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

Huge
Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree that there is a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd grade. It is actually the hardest part of teaching 3rd grade for me. I get so tired of being the bad guy with parents and students. Every year I have so many parents upset with me, because their child's grades drop significantly. I actually have my principal's daughter this year, and she even told me that they've been shocked at how much harder 3rd grade was than 2nd grade. We have good 2nd grade teachers, so I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about that. I think that it's just the curriculum. I've actually considered requesting a 2nd/3rd grade loop. I taught 4th grade before I taught 3rd grade, and it was a huge benefit for me to know exactly what my 3rd graders needed to be able to know and do to be successful 4th graders, so I'd like to try that out with 2nd now. However, I do love third grade.

ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherhobby

2nd-3rd grade gap
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Tired of being the "bad guy" is right! Has anyone developed a letter to parents or any kind of study tips for parents that seems to help. Please share! Also, what states are we seeing this most? All?

Teach3La

So glad i'm not alone!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This year has been exceptionally bad for parent emails. The funny thing is kids are brutally honest.......they will tell you they didnt study at all. And yet, I get those emails saying "How can they make a D or F?" In science and social studies I give study guides with the exact information and the test is matching or multiple choice with maybe a few short answers. If they read over it once each night for the whole week they have it, they would ace the test! There is no reinforcement at home. Third grade is the year kids need to develop those good study habits!
Teach3La is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherhobby

not alone
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I could have written this myself. Certainly not alone, have had the same problems with emails and studying.