Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Well, I guess it's about time...

>

teacherwriter

Well, I guess it's about time...
Old 11-22-2017, 03:54 AM

...to start planning Thanksgiving dinner! I haven't done a thing. It's been a rough week, with lots of work and complications, so today is dinner prep. The plan this year is to try a stuffed rolled turkey breast:
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipe...-stuffing.html

Everyone thinks it looks great, so we're going to give it a try. I cannot remember what I did for cranberry sauce last year. The canned stuff MUST be on the table, according to DH, but I made something else too. Wonder what it was?

How is your meal prep going?

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

meal
Old 11-22-2017, 04:17 AM

Did you make a fresh orange cranberry relish?

DH ordered dinner all cooked at the grocery store. It's enough for 6-8 so we will have a ton of leftovers. I'll miss cooking...

I (we) are making the Danish Puff Pastry for brunch at DD in the morning.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 11-22-2017, 04:21 AM

I've never done one of those already-cooked meals. There is a certain appeal to not juggling all the Thanksgiving prep, but I hear you--I'm not sure how it would be without all the prep.

I think this is the cranberry sauce I made last year:
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipe...nge-sauce.html
Anyway, it's going to be the sauce I make this year!
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:25 AM

A few years back, someone posted a cranberries and apples recipe on here that I used. It was yummy but my aunt is a diehard cranberry can person so I just bought a can and am done with it.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

cranberry
Old 11-22-2017, 05:22 AM

I'll bet it was the cranberry orange relish, which I LOVE. We do the canned cranberry sauce (gelled and whole berry) and Mom makes cranberry orange relish also. It sounds like a lot, but it all gets eaten!

I make the pies today, but that's all the prepping I do other than grocery shopping that I did a few days ago. The rest is done in the morning. Since Mom makes some things, I make some, and my sister makes some, it's not so much on one person.

SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 AM

Just making the pies today and cleaning the house. Tomorrow I will pop the turkey in the oven, DH makes the stuffing -- "his" family recipe which he says is waaaay better than my family's, but we can't tell the difference . I'm fine with that-- one less thing for me to do. We just do typical green bean casserole, jelled cranberries, mashed potatoes and gravy. I will be busy, but nothing too stressful or crazy. We really limit the appetizers to just special olives, some fresh veggies, and a cocktail. Don't want to fill up before the big meal!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 AM

I was lazy and bought pies. The turkey breast goes in the crock pot tonight. Mom is making mashed potatoes and dressing. Rolls and Lima beans are being brought by her BF.

I think we are good.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

DH mixed up refrigerator yeast rolls last big
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 AM

The roomba is mopping the floor as I type. I plan to mix up my broccoli and rice casserole and put it in fridge, then rest a while, mix up my sweet potato casserole and put it in fridge later today, and make my 7 layer salad this evening. I might do a little dusting in between. DH will do the turkey in the morning. I'm not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds. And he will do the mashed potatoes and put them in the crockpot tomorrow morning as well. Then I'll only have to do gravy, dressing, and deviled eggs tomorrow. DS 2 is bringing desserts, and DS 1 is bringing soda and veggie tray.
We considered buying it from a grocery store this year since I just had surgery a week ago, but I'm really feeling pretty good, and probably need the activity.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 PM

If we had not already ordered and picked up a pre-cooked turkey and all the trimmings from Publix today I would be in the exact same position as you! And we have the canned cranberry stuff too!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is online now   Reply With Quote