Help

Second Grade

Brain breaks...

>

kinderlady7

Brain breaks...
Old 12-07-2021, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all! I have a very rowdy group of second graders this year and I am struggling. For most of the time, I have worked hard on getting behavior in check using a variety of consequences and incentives.

However, by the middle of the day, my kiddos are SO antsy. We have PE very first thing and we are not given a recess, but we use our snack time to go outside. However, that happens in the late afternoon. In between then, my students do a lot of sitting and I want them to be able to get up and move around. When we do independent work I allow them to sit or lay on the floor and that has helped, but that still isn't helping them get their energy out. HOWEVER I have tried every brain break I can think of and they get so riled up after!

I have done Jack Hartmann songs (which they love but they get wild). I have done yoga (they think it's lame) I have tried exercises (they do not do them) I have tried GoNoodle (also get rowdy and wild after). I am not sure what to do. I know some of the talking and annoying problem behaviors would probably be cut out after some movement, but I don't know what to do that they can handle. I have tried using brain breaks as a fun reward, but I have about 4 who enjoy going out of their way to ruin it for the class. If I have those specifically sit out, they yell or beat on a desk to ruin the brain break for the class.

Any suggestions?

kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Retired Second Grade Teacher
Old 12-10-2021, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve been retired for five years AND itís Covid so Iím not sure what movement you are allowed to do with your class. Also, PE should be forbidden to be given to second graders first period. 😂

Can you do movement during class time? For instance: Going to each desk to answer a question that is on a card on that desk. Playing four corners in any subject area.

I know they are not brain breaks but sometimes the movement breaks can really help.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlady7

Old 12-12-2021, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's what I am saying! It is CRUEL! But we are making it!

Thank you for your ideas! Our area has had low cases so were are pretty free to move about as desired. I like the idea of playing four corners during class! Thank you!
kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

learning walks
Old 12-23-2021, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When we had first period PE, we took learning walks several times during the day(look for shapes, weather outside, look at birds, shadows, trees, writing ideas, etc.) Having first period PE is hard for all grade levels.

Happy Holidays!
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote