Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Cooking

>

teacher4

Cooking
Old 04-14-2020, 04:42 PM

I am exhausted from cooking 2-3 meals a day. Ok, lunch is not much but I cook a homemade dinner nightly. I haven't had take out since March 6th. It just happened that way because I only eat out 3-4 times per month. I love cooking but tonight I hit the wall. How is everyone else feeling about cooking so much. Oh and my stimulus check will go towards food.

Last edited by teacher4; 04-14-2020 at 05:07 PM..
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-14-2020, 04:47 PM

I don’t understand your post at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher4
I only eat 3-4 times per month.
I don’t understand....you cook all day and don’t eat it?
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 04-14-2020, 04:49 PM

I think she meant to say they only eat out 3-4 time per month!
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-14-2020, 04:55 PM

We used to do takeout, restaurants, or sandwiches a lot. In early March when CA and WA were reporting an increase of concerns and WA shut down its schools, I became concerned about eating out but also knew I didn't want to cook. So I'm stocked up on A LOT of easy prep and frozen food.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

hitting the wall
Old 04-14-2020, 05:08 PM

I thought I was the only one. I just couldn't bring myself to cook tonight. We have been in since March 6th too. One trip to the grocery store-not planning to go again. A MRI and 2 in office Dr. visits were the exceptions. We did pick up Dinner after the MRI at local place.
We order pizza weekly and definitely eat out at least once a week if not more. I miss fresh salads too.

mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 04-14-2020, 05:19 PM

I canít believe you last this long!! I usually pick up dinner 1 time a week and lunch 1 time a week now. I just canít do it sometimes.

I also miss fresh salads!! Iíve been craving a salad from Snappy Salad for weeks.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 04-14-2020, 05:24 PM

I am cooking more than ever but haven't hit a wall yet. It's just me and my husband so each dinner i make lasts 2 meals. I know people say they're gaining weight but I feel better not eating out more than once a week.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-14-2020, 05:27 PM

We used to eat out a lot, probably 4-5 times a week! In the last 28 days I have made dinner (a real dinner) 27 times. The 28th time I got a take and bake pizza. I don't do breakfast or lunch though, everyone is on their own for that.

I think I'm going to start getting take out once a week just for a break.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-14-2020, 05:43 PM

We have eaten out (gotten take out) only 3 times since March 16th or so. I have cooked twice a day. Lunch is pretty much on your own-find what you can find. Breakfast is getting skimpier effort-wise than the first week or so.

My Hello Fresh meals started up (I had scheduled a couple weeks off due to dh's planned work travel and my spring break travel) and I am so thankful! Too many weeks of me having to do all the planning! We do have more leftovers when I cook or we order out. This weekend we will be getting something from somewhere that is not me. I don't mind cooking, but I need a break.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

At our house
Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM

I'm still doing some meal prepping like school is in session. I made 2 batches of the breakfast biscuits I normally eat during school and can now just heat in microwave.
It's DH, DD(19) and me. I started this out saying I might cook breakfast occasionally (which I have about 2 times per week) and I would cook supper most nights but otherwise, everyone was on their own. Not sure what your household situation is, but that's a huge weight off my shoulders.

I've also made things in batches and froze so I can pull out and reheat easily. Soups, casseroles, etc.

Get yourself some takeout! You've earned it!!! We have done take out 3 times since this started, once was DD's birthday. Otherwise 1 pizza and 1 burger run when we we already close to our favorite burger spot.

Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I have a love hate relationship with cooking
Old 04-14-2020, 06:12 PM

right now. In one way I am cooking more and enjoying it at times when I can think of something new and different to try. This staying at home has renewed an old interest in cooking.

I another way I am tired of it and would really like to go out to eat again. But we have decided not to do take out at this time.

If someone else would do the menu planning and food orders and the clean up it would not be so bad. But I do it all! And I am very tired of it.

However, I feel guilty complaining because I really have it so easy. I am retired so no teaching for me during the day. I have no children at home to care for or elderly parents. I just have my husband to care for and he is pretty independent just can't stand for long periods of time.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Love this, Kahlua!
Old 04-14-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Lunch is pretty much on your own-find what you can find.
A few days ago, I had a talk with my husband about how it stresses me out that he asks me about lunch daily....and then dinner a few hours later. He asks me my thoughts on it, but it's not like he cooks. So, we have agreed that lunch is whatever we can find.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 04-14-2020, 07:02 PM

In real times, we normally go out for dinner once or twice a month. We didn't go out in early March so the last time we had anything that I didn't cook was some time in late February. It's just the two of us and we're on our own until dinner which I plan and cook.

I love cooking but I know what you mean. I knew I was going to get to that point so I've made sure to have some dinners frozen and ready to take out at a moment's notice. Man thinks we'll--I didn't mean to snort when he said "we", it just slipped out--make a plan to eat them but no, they'll wait happily in the freezer until the day that I just can't cope with making whatever I've planned.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-14-2020, 07:05 PM

We started strong with new recipes, but we are falling back into old favorites.

We find our own breakfast & lunch. Usually cereal, a bagel, or sandwich for one or both. DH has hot cereal or eggs, then leftovers from supper. We alternate cooking supper. Tonight he made tacos. Tomorrow Iím making pinto beans and cornbread.

We have been eating out in Friday.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-14-2020, 07:15 PM

I made this tonight. Really easy and tasty.

I am not sure you can see the recipe. Let me know?

I am not sure what is in the southwest seasoning- but it isn't hot. More of a smoky flavor and about 2 tsps. I think that any southwest seasoning would work or a combo of cumin, chili powder, paprika and garlic powder, and one large or 2 small chicken breast cut into 1 in pieces.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Cooking
Old 04-14-2020, 07:36 PM

I donít enjoy cooking but I donít trust carry out food right now so Iíve been cooking every day. I finally started up my Hungry Root subscription again so that Iíd have at least 3 meals per week that were already prepped for me. I really miss carry out!
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 PM

i decided about 1.5 weeks in that if i was going to do more cleaning and more meal prepping and have all this stress, then i was going to do something that i enjoyed! so we eat take-out about 3 times every 2 weeks. we try to at least balance chains with local places--but also looking at the deals that are available.

i have made a few new recipes and was excited by the prospect, but now that school has started back up, i don't have as much time.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-14-2020, 10:14 PM

I typically eat out with friends about 2x per week and pick up take out on my own at least another 1-2 nights per week. I'd been doing low prep bento boxes for lunch- things like a hard boiled egg, nuts, fruit, veggie, etc. However when I'm home I feel the need to have a "real" meal.

I've been eating pretty much 100% low prep stuff from Trader Joe's. The most I have to do is preheat an oven and put things in. I'm single and I've always struggled with cooking for one. I hate the amount of time it takes/the mess it makes and then because it's just me eating it, if I make a recipe I have to eat it for several meals in a row. I'm not really a fan of leftovers. Discovering Trader Joe's was a life changer for me! Several times during this pandemic I've thought about how I'm lucky to have groceries that I at least want to eat during this time.

I did try Hello Fresh once and while the food was good, the meals took me forever to make (I'm a slow cook) and I didn't want to commit to eating at home 6 nights per week. When this whole thing started I wondered if I should go back to that just to have something "new" to do, but I haven't wanted to yet. When online schooling started that filled up some of my time. If we're still doing this in the summer I may want to do it then just to have something to do.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-15-2020, 04:31 AM

We are like many of youó breakfast and lunch is on your own. I usually have a big salad and DH eats leftovers from supper or something else he scavenges up . I always have fresh cut up veggies and dip and a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge (but more than likely he will eat frozen Eggo waffles or a pizza ). Then a planned supper. We have not done any take out since being ďSafer at HomeĒ. Prior to this we probably ate out only 2-3 times a month anyway.

So far getting fresh produce for my salads hasnít been a huge problem. I hope that stays true.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-15-2020, 06:43 AM

Iím over cooking. We usually order out twice a week. Iím the only one who cooks. Last night it was pick a can of soup night. Iím thinking of ordering one of the meal kits. It has directions so dh and ds could cook. I was ambitious when this all started, but not so much now.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I don't mind cooking
Old 04-15-2020, 08:52 AM

but I hate planning and shopping. Now that we are well-stocked, it has been easier IF he tells me what he might like. Just make suggestions. A general idea or genre of food. Dang it.

Never again will I let him tease me about NOT choosing the restaurant when we are eating out! WHATEVER~

If he doesn't have to pick at home, I don't have pick when eating out...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 04-15-2020, 11:02 PM

I'm glad I read this. I'm bored with cooking too. I don't mind cooking, i just get tired of it. When I still worked I used to cook double and freeze a meal for later. It just hadn't occurred to me to do it now. I'm glad for the reminder!

Now to think if I have anything suitable for freezer meals...
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

meals
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 AM

I'm pretty much doing it the same way I did before. I cook a few nights, then we eat leftovers, and I get take-out 1-2 times a week.

The only difference now is that I'm only ordering take-out from the local places in my community as compared to traveling a little further. I'm trying to support them as much as possible so they can stay in business.

For breakfast and lunch we just eat sandwiches, cereal, etc... Today I'm making the muffins for breakfast (with canned pumpkin) because I haven't made them in a while.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote