Help

BusyBoard

survey "live" time with students

>

sonoma

survey "live" time with students
Old 04-22-2020, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am surprised how much variance there is in the amount of live time required when talking with my friends. In the same district I know one school requires teachers to be online live with classes at least two hours per day. Another requires them to set up one hour of office time each day where they are available for students to contact them. Some schools are posting websites for students to use but no live time required.

One school (private and expensive) has their teachers online live with kids from 8:30 to 11:30 and 1:00 to 3:00 and they are following regular class schedules.

How much "live" time are you required to do each day? How much live time do you actually do?

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 04-22-2020, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sadly I'm not required to have any live time with the kids. I'm required to have 2 hours of office hours time to answer questions. Honestly I answer questions whenever they come in but I make sure I'm at my computer during those two hours. I personally have made Tuesdays a google meet day. The most I've had join me was 8. That is so sad. I teach 77 kids. This past Tuesday I had 5. No instruction going on though during my meet time. We played old kahoots and then I let them pick a few new ones. Needless to say elearning is not working for my school.

Last edited by nucleus; 04-22-2020 at 09:18 AM..
nucleus is online now   Reply With Quote

cre8ive_teach

Requirements
Old 04-22-2020, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are required to provide a certain amount of minutes for instruction per day but none of it has to be live. It could be assignments in Google classroom, Seesaw, etc...

I teach in a resource position and I am posting read aloud videos everyday with a writing task to my Google classroom that students are able to access when they are able. We are required to 'check in' with our students twice a week but that could be a phone call, Google meet, etc...

I teach in a large district but technology and internet is not accessible to many of our students. Our district did attempt to distribute Chromebooks but it is one device per household, making it difficult for many of our larger families to have all of their students connected.
cre8ive_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 04-22-2020, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have been strongly advised by both our board and union not to have any video conferences (google meet, zoom, etc.) with our students. There is to be no recorded video either. The board may change its mind but I doubt the union will go along with that.

We are required to have office hours daily and check ins as needed.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Live time
Old 04-22-2020, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are not required to have "live" time with students. Students are expected to work on lesson ONE hour each day for K-3. So I made a choice board for students to choose lessons to complete for the week.

We have received mixed messages about using Zoom or Google Meets. One person tells us we canít use Zoom and another tells us we can.

I hold one Zoom meeting a week with my students and encourage their families to join us. We check in with each other and I tell them what I notice regarding lesson completions. I give any other news updates that I can.

I am next to my computer all day and answer any questions immediately. I even answer questions at 8:30 pm. Iím trying to be a available as often as possible for parents who are working during the day.

Many of my students are expected to complete their lessons all by themselves. No one is monitoring them. Well, I am, but I canít redirect them like I can in a classroom.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Meetings
Old 04-22-2020, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 5 different groups per week and meet with each group once a week for 15 minutes on google meet. I basically answer questions about assignments posted on Google Classroom.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Our school
Old 04-22-2020, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am also surprised at the variance!

At my school, we are not doing live lessons. We've been told not to because they don't want students who might not be available at that time to miss it. Instead, we video our lessons and put them on.

We do have live sessions scheduled. The amount and time varies by grade level (gets more as the kids get older), but they are optional. Since we don't teach new skills, it can be for read aloud, community building, discussion, asking questions, prayer, etc. At my grade level, it's 3 times a week for 30 minutes. That's the max we can do.

We do post work for students, with the goal of 90-120 minutes of work a day. Teachers have "office hours" for one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon. However, this is not a live session. There's nothing we really have to do, other than make sure we can answer parent e-mails, answer students questions posted on Google Classroom, etc. However, administration also told parents that out of consideration for teachers and the other things on their plate, if they e-mail a teacher during office hours, they should expect it to take up to 24 hours for a reply. If they e-mail outside of office hours, they should expect longer, more like 72 hours. So, I guess I don't understand the office hours, when we still have 24 hours to reply to e-mails sent during that time.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

CMOORE

"Live" Time
Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are not required to do "live" time. We can not require students to be on-line at a specific time. All of the work we assign needs to be something they can do at any time of the day on their own. We can have Zoom meetings but there must be two adults present at all times. My partner and I have held a Zoom Check in once a week for the last 3 weeks. We just started Home Learning on April 6th. The Zoom Check in is completely optional and we do not teach anything.
CMOORE is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-22-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My granddaughters district does not have any live time requirements. The lessons are on video and the teachers have to be available certain hours of the day to answer questions but there is no (video)face to (video)face interaction. I realize zoom type meetings with middle school teachers would be difficult since they have so many students but I think my elementary granddaughter would love to see and talk with her teacher occasionally.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 04-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
How much "live" time are you required to do each day? How much live time do you actually do?

Zero and zero.

sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We are not required to be live any specific time. We need to check in with them live at least 3 times a week and we were supposed to have sent out a survey to parents to see what their needs and desires were then design a system that works for them and us as best as possible. I have a weird situation where I'm co-teaching two grade levels.

For one grade level:
That means that my teammate and I have 16 small group sessions per week with 3-4 kids per session, but the students only have 2 each with me and 2 with him.

We also each have 2 30 minute math groups for answering questions about the math, which were taught via video.

We also jointly run a large group "wellness check in" and question/answer session about the assigned work 3x a week. That is not required but is strongly encouraged.

For the other grade level that is very small:
We jointly run an hour long session daily that encompasses everything.

Then we have an "office hours" on Friday by appointment for any parent that wants to schedule a time for venting or clarification.

I think it comes to 12 hours online per week for each of us.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-22-2020, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We're not required to do any "live" time. I have to do 4 office hours a day -- essentially available to answer questions -- and I choose to hold Zoom class meetings twice a week. We have good attendance at the class meetings (about 50%), but only one fourth of the kids are doing any of the actual lessons. I think as time goes on, more and more will stop.

I wonder if the live time vs. not live is different in elementary and high school. Maybe the upper grades are more strict?
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I wonder if the live time vs. not live is different in elementary and high school. Maybe the upper grades are more strict?
Our lower grades are actually online more than our upper grades. They have many more small group sessions of live teaching because you can't just type up instructions and link to articles and texts and communicate via written feedback.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

EMO109

Old 04-22-2020, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

District wide - teachers are supposed to post total of 1.5-2 hours worth of work (so for high school, that has to be divided per class) per day. We are supposed to be available to answer questions, emails, during the regular school day.

We are allowed to do live teaching, but discouraged from using it to teach new content because not everyone can be present at any give time. At the elementary level, most of us are meeting a few times a week for a morning meeting type thing (sharing, read aloud, etc.) and with some small groups for various things. That varies by teacher - some are doing that more frequently than others.
EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-22-2020, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Required: None
(Live or recorded. And how we get content to students is up to individual teachers as well)

We are required to be available for 3 hours a day. I end up being available much more than that.

Iím not doing live full class lessons. I have done live ďmeetsĒ for social reasons for the kids and Iíve done a ton of 1:1 or small group live lessons.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 04-22-2020, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I do live office hours where parents and kids can talk to me with questions about assignments, live mini classes (30 minutes), prayer time and record video lessons. I then type up notes for the kids who couldn't/didn't attend the 'live' class. Since I teach all grade levels, this is more exhausting than actually teaching in person.

Last edited by anonymouse; 04-22-2020 at 01:45 PM..
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have a 30 minute live circle time each day as well as 60 minute office hours, where we're expected to be on via zoom if kids want to come on and ask questions. I have had zero kids/parents do that, as have most of my teammates. One teammate had one parent ask a question the first day.

We have a tutoring program through a grant that I used to work in, and we just got word that we could start tutoring online via zoom. I got approval to do 15 minute 1:1 zoom sessions rather than seeing groups like we typically do. I contacted the 6 parents of kids I'd had signed up previously, and only one wrote back that they were interested . I'm going to try to recruit some others, but some of my related service provider teammates have offered live sessions where parents sign up for a time, and only about 1/3 who sign up actually come.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 04-22-2020, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We are not allowed to have any 'live' time with our students because they do not all have internet or a device so offering video classes does not provide equal opportunity to everyone. We are expected to have 6 hours of 'office hours' each week where we are available by email to answer questions from students and/or families. We are also expected to be at school 2 hours each week to prep homework packets and take or make phone calls with families. We signed up for a time slot that is posted on school website for parents to use.

My email is turned on each morning about 8 am and is left open on my dining table until about 5 pm. I go about my day and just check computer when I hear it ding for a new message. In 6 weeks I've had 1 email from a parent.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 04-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I teach first grade. I have daily Google meets that I use kind of like a check in or morning meeting type activity. I also "present" and show them how to interact with the activities in the Google Classroom.

I don't do live lessons for two reasons - first graders IMO are not focused enough to get much out of it; and also, I only have about half the class each day.

I do a few recorded lessons each per week for ELA, math, science, writing, etc. It averages to about two Google Classroom activities per day. I find that more just overwhelms the feed.

I am also expecting (hoping) that they go on some independent sites for math and ELA (Zearn and Lalilo) as well as read alouds and "specials" (art, music, gym each have their own classrooms).
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-22-2020, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is so interesting to see.

We don't have any requirements, although admin has asked what we are doing. Most teachers are doing 2-3 meetings per week, from 30-60 minutes at a time.

Part of the reason it is not required is that all of our students don't have access. Because of that we are also not teaching new content and not giving grades.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-22-2020, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My School
  1. available to students online or by phone from 8 to 3 Monday to Friday
  2. required to call every student as needed, especially for students who are not doing work
  3. no video meetings are required, but I do a session every Tuesday and Thursday for 30 to 45 minutes for kids to stop in and ask questions or just say hi
  4. update grades at least weekly (Iím doing every day.)

DHís School
  • available to students from 9 to 2 Monday to Friday
  • no video required, but he does a video chat once a week
  • call each student according to a schedule given by admin
  • update grades weekly (He sends kids weekly emails with their progress.)
  • no new work on Friday
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 04-23-2020, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Our district has asked us not to do live lessons at all. Some teachers are anyway, but none in our building.
We need to post office hours but arenít allowed to do online live video conferencing 1:1 either.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-23-2020, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My district has zero alive time. It’s all online through google classroom and class dojo. We check in three times a day. It usually lasts 90 minutes per check in answering questions online and checking work.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

Old 04-23-2020, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I teach self-contained special education and have 6 students k-2 on my caseload. I email out individualized assignments and then have a 15-minute individual zoom with each student. 4/6 students show up consistently for zoom, 1 shows up but refuses to do anything but talk about her cats, and 1 will not get on at all. They all either picked up or had Chromebooks dropped off so they could do their work.

We aren't required to do live meetings, but I do it to keep in contact with my kids. Most of them have a parent sitting right next to them while we work, so I'm modeling how to work with them. Some are doing the other online work and some aren't. I just tell the parents to do as much as they can and don't stress it.
sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 04-23-2020, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

It is not required. We mostly are doing recorded video instruction. I am using Zoom once or twice a week, as needed, usually for a review session. I also have been doing a live (text) chat once a week.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

zero
Old 04-24-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Our union has made it very clear that we cannot be required to "go live". I think it is a great way to connect with the kids and to help them feel a little bit normal, but I am glad my union stands for us.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote