Paraprofessionals

Disturbing Behavior

>

thesupersub

Disturbing Behavior
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Question.
What obligations does the school have after informing a parent that their child has threatened to commit suicide? What should be done, if parents are in disbelief and refuse school's recommendations?

thesupersub is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Call CPS
Old 12-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure what the rules are in your state about mandatory reporting to Child Protective Services. I just asked Man, a former CPS social worker, who said it's got to be taken seriously and to protect both the child and you, call CPS (or whatever you call it in your state) in spite of the anticipated difficulties this will bring for all of you. The parents are going to be mad and there will be a big fuss and stir. The priority here is the safety of the child. The child is unlikely to say something like this if there wasn't a serious problem at home.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

thesupersub

Old 12-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can a paraprofessional call child protective services?
thesupersub is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

maybe not
Old 12-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the school system I work for, ANY staff member is obligated to report the concern to the guidance counselors who will then interview the student. Regardless of the conclusion they come to about the student from the interview, they are then obligated to notify parents or guardians. I do not know what the next step is if the parents refuse to believe the child's comments. I believe at that point it is a good idea to report this to social services.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 12-06-2014, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Can a paraprofessional call child protective services?
As far as I know, anyone can call CPS.

I see from your profile that you're in New York. Here is a pdf of the rules for NY mandated reporting. It's comprehensive and gives a lot of information about what and when to call. It also has a list of mandated reporters.

This is a protection for the child AND for you. There is no harm in reporting, in fact, it's better TO report than not report. You can't be held liable for calling but you can be charged for not calling.

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Agent99

Old 03-14-2015, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Everyone in the school is a mandated reporter. They must report such a threat. I would turn this over to the counselor at the school, I am sure that he/she will know the next step.

Worse case scenario: The child becomes a ward of the state and is removed from the home. Thus the courts can intervene. At least this is my understanding.

We had an abuse case in one of our schools. The teacher had to make the hotline call and CPS took it from there.
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote