Would you pay to wear blue jeans every day? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Would you pay to wear blue jeans every day?

>

Zephie

Would you pay to wear blue jeans every day?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just talked to my new P about staff dress code. She said they are pretty relaxed about the dress code. They ask for casual professional, but if you are a jeans loving teacher and want to wear them all year, every day, there is a $100 buy in that goes to the staff fund for luncheons, special treats, and the bereavement/baby shower funds. They also sell school shirts in multiple colors that can be worn any day with either slacks, skirts, or jeans.

I'm all about wearing jeans or skirts as my normal clothing and really hate wearing slacks most of the time. I may just buy in on that privilege...

Of course, she said if we go virtual for the first part of the school year, the dress code is pajamas.

Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Not sure...
Old 05-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't mind paying for jeans day. At one school I worked at, we had Friday Jean Day, but then we also had 6 weeks during the school year we could wear jeans the whole week. It was called Jeans week. We paid $50 or $60 for the 6 weeks. They were spread throughout the year. The money went for staff luncheons, surprise treats, to help school families or staff in need, etc. It was great.

Now I'm in a Catholic School where kids wear uniforms. Since the students are wearing uniforms every day, we don't have a Friday jean day. However, 1-2 a month, they have casual for a cause days, where money goes to a charity. It's a dollar. I don't mind doing that either.

I don't think I could wear jeans every day, though. I do like dressing up, but I usually don't have a place to go dressed up, so work is my only chance. I also find nice dress pants to be more comfortable than jeans (yes, I know I'm weird). While I wouldn't mind paying for jeans, I don't think I'd wear them everyday. That's just me, though.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i like wearing jeans, but I wouldnít pay for it. There are plenty of casual pants that look dressy enough, but are still comfy enough for me.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Pay to wear jeans
Old 05-20-2020, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think itís larcenous to pay for this privilege . That said, I would do it. I wore dress jeans to work every day with lovely tops, jackets, and awesome shoes.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, I think the idea of pay to wear jeans is ridiculous. Either jeans are appropriate for teachers to wear or they are not. Taking money from someone does not suddenly make them appropriate.

And the idea that only "jeans lovers" have to fill the community-building fund is even worse.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Jeans
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We pay $25 to wear them on every Friday. The money is used for student incentives so I don't mind paying. Sometimes we have other special times to wear them and pay $2 for special days. Our principal also gives us coupons for our birthdays and Christmas plus other special times/reasons.
SaraFirst is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

No I wouldn't
Old 05-20-2020, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm just more comfortable in skirts or dresses that don't bind around the waist. I also feel more professional looking, which makes me feel more confident, which is also more comfortable.

So, I don't wear jeans even on free jeans days, let alone the days they charge us to wear them.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

No. We arenít allowed to wear jeans but honestly I donít care. Leggings with dresses, black ponte pants, cords are all way more comfortable to me than jeans.
cheerio is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm cheap by nature, so I wouldn't pay. I used to live in jeans.

The older I get (and with the popularity of leggings), I rarely wear jeans anymore.

I love dressing up for work. Years of being a SAHM and not having a reason to dress up is the root of that, I'm sure.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 05-20-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes. We can wear jeans on Fridays and half days. Occasionally, we have a fundraiser to wear them all week for $5. Maybe twice a year?
If I had the option to wear them any day for the price your school is asking, I would still do it.

As it is a new school to you, I would wonder if it one of those things that everyone just does? What if you would be the only one not participating?

owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't like the idea of paying to wear jeans. I agree with a pp- either you consider them professional or you don't. And $100 is A LOT of money, IMO. We used to have a "social fund" that we were pressured to donate to (didn't really like that either) and it was usually $20-30. I can't imagine asking for $100 especially knowing teachers (at least in my area) don't make enough as it is.

We used to be able to wear jeans any day. New P came in and changed that rule to jeans only on Fridays her 2nd year in the building. I was miffed at first because I had to spend money on new work clothes- I hadn't owned dress pants in years. Other than that I don't mind dressing up for work. Sometimes I find dress pants are actually more comfortable than jeans- it's easier to get the right fit. I like the look of jeans better, but my slacks are generally more comfortable.

That said, you are kind of in a tough position being at a new school. I wouldn't want to find out later that everyone else participated and then look bad or be labeled "not a team player" . And it's going to be obvious because you'll see who is wearing jeans and who isn't. In your shoes I'd probably ask for some time to think about it and then later ask teammates to give you the scoop about how many generally do it.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-20-2020, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I remember that you are losing weight, so I might be tempted to pay the $100 this year to reduce my wardrobe to just jeans and nice tops since you might need to buy new sizes as the year prgresses.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Nope. I would not. I have plenty of other clothes can wear. Keeping my money for me!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-20-2020, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It doesnít seem right that you would have to pay to wear jeans. At my school, we can wear jeans every day. Most teachers and even the administrators wear jeans every day with nice tops.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 05-20-2020, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

If you like wearing Jeans and they are more comfortable for you, I would pay to wear them. I think $100 is a good price. We do 180 days with students so you are saving $80
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 05-20-2020, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes. My previous P allowed jeans 3 times each week and I was planning to discuss with her an agreement for an option to wear them every day this final year. However, she moved to another school within district and my new P is all about professional dress and only grudgingly allows jeans once or twice a week. Not approachable for negotiations. I would have paid to be able to wear them at any time.
md2dkh3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-20-2020, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have done it as a fundraiser.

A couple of times it was for donations to various relief groups due to a natural disaster.

The last two years it was a fundraiser for our class trip. $50 for the remainder of the school year, which was generally around two to three months. This year we had just paid when the school closed, so we got our money back.

I really donít like jeans, but I pay because (a) jeans are easy and (b) itís a fundraiser.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 05-21-2020, 02:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yes, I would totally pay for it. I hate getting dressed up for work to teach little kids. I would be perfectly happy in jeans and a staff shirt each day. I think I would be a better teacher to be honest.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Jeans
Old 05-21-2020, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

At least they are up front about the cost.

We can wear jeans on Friday. Most Fridays you have to wear it with a school shirt. I get excited on the Fridays we don't have to wear a school shirt.

We often have charitable jeans day. You pay the money and can wear the jeans on a date to be determined (usually when higher ups are not scheduled to walk through). Some people participated enough that they probably paid $100 over a school year.

Personally, I don't like to wear jeans to work. In my previous career I basically dressed in jeans and T-shirts every day. When I started teaching I wanted to feel like a grown up.

I don't think I dress too fussy, but I wear a lot of ponte, linen and washable wool with cotton or washable silk tops. It is also more comfortable to me. Even baggy jeans can feel restricting.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 05-21-2020, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have never heard of having to pay to wear jeans. But then again we were never restricted in what we could wear to teach (other than of course inappropriate tops). I generally wore jeans every day except if it was hot. Then I wore a dress or skirt. I am most comfy in jeans so I would pay.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 05-21-2020, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I will say that I am loving the variety of opinions and reasons for those opinions I am getting as feedback. I have worked ar schools that have ranged from "no boobs and no butts" policy (but didn't care other wise), to places that allowed jeans once a month, to straight up uniforms. I honestly am leaning towards paying the fee so I can wear them when I want. I tend to be a jeans or skirt girl, and really am not a huge fan of wearing slacks. When it gets hot I wear mostly dresses or skirts, but in the cool months I really like wearing jeans.

I have a couple months to decide whether or not I will do it.

Lilbitkm

Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

In the past we were only allowed to wear jeans on Friday’s. We would have various pay for jeans days. But, the money was always for a Relay for Life, not for the school. I don’t think I would have paid if it was going to a school fund.

Now, as of this school year, we are allowed to wear jeans daily. I love jeans and it has made me a little lazier as I don’t wear my dresses and nice pants as often.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Pay by the month?
Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Itís only 10 dollars a month, which would be worth it to me. See if you can do a payment plan!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Dress Code
Old 05-21-2020, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Ours basically says as long you’re decently covered, rock on.

But that came about because there was such a discrepancy in each building. It was a real problem for me when I was between 2 buildings, because one was soooo much more stringent than the other! I always looked like a lawyer at a basketball game in the afternoon school, bc everyone else was dressed so casually and I had to be to the nines in my morning building.

If it were $100 for the whole year and it was going to a very good cause, I might do it even if I didn’t wear jeans every day. It’s an easy way to give and get something at the same time.

Last edited by MissESL; 05-21-2020 at 01:48 PM..
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I can't imagine doing that. Teachers here dress very casual. Jeans are the normal. Flip flops and shorts when it gets hot.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Sonoma
Old 05-21-2020, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

the norm around here is for all kids to be in uniform. I've found that when the kids wear uniforms, the prinipals expect more formal clothing from the teachers. Which makes it pretty understandable for teachers and staff to be willing to pay to be less formal.

Singvogel

No, no, no!
Old 05-23-2020, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

We fund our "social" with volunteer dues.

This is just aggravating to hear that this still goes on. Since teachers are primarily women, it smacks of the old days when men told us we had to wear dresses, stockings, and heels to teach in.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Not only would I not pay it, I would be extremely tempted to wear jeans and find out what happened.

We can dress how we like although cleavage is supposed to be covered and skirts/shorts have to extend past the end of your fingers when your arms hang at your sides. Same as kids.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 05-24-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

My biggest spending question is always how else I might better spend this money. Is there something else that you'd enjoy more than spending $100 on jean? If not, go for it.

But, I would not pay. My building does a lot of "pay for comfy clothes" and one year I calculated and I had ended up paying (or donating) $250! I refuse to do it just out of principle now that I know how much I spent.

I also just make sure that I look nice enough. My admin has never talked to me about what I've been wearing, jeans day or not. But this is 100% because my admin has other things she worries about. This would depend on your admin.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

NewIdentity

Old 05-25-2020, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We can only dress down on Friday's and pay about $45
NewIdentity is online now   Reply With Quote

Marrywther

jeans everyday
Old 06-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I'm lucky in our district we have a very lax dress code. We can wear jeans any day. The principal can try to instill a dress code, but they can't enforce it. So I wear jeans every day!!!! Of course since I've been working from home, I wear pjs.
Marrywther is offline   Reply With Quote